“Enjoyable break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
London
“Enjoyable break”
Reviewed 21 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at Barnett Hill for a Red Letter Days one night wine tasting break we received as a wedding gift.

We had a nice break overall. The hotel is in a pretty area and we went for a nice walk on the grounds the next day. We just had a few criticisms. Our room was very small and stuffy. The bed was a ¾ bed, not really enough room for both of us to fit comfortably. Also, the food was ok, but not great.

Although we had an enjoyable night, I would not be in a rush to return to Barnett Hill.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
sundialbarnett, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a Red Letter Days wine tasting event. I am sorry that we failed to meet entirely with your expectaions on this occasion in respect of the allocation of your bedroom and the evening meal provided. Since it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied, we take all forms of feedback very seriously indeed and your comments will certainly be of use to us when considering future refurbishment proposals for some of our bedrooms and in revising menus for future Red Letter Day events

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
midlands
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Just an overnight stay - would love to stay longer - staff very helpful , room lovely , breakfast 5 star - well done

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 31 December 2006

We stayed here two nights for a wedding. I knew it was a conference centre and didn't have a pool so I was not overly enthusiastic at the thought of staying.

On arrival I thought it was beautiful. It is a listed building and is carefully preserved. I am not much of a one for architecture and couldn't tell you what style it is, but it is beautiful. The rooms are all different, some quite large and airy and some quite small. It is a bit of a lottery I suppose. Our room was a corner room and I thoroughly recommend asking for a corner room if you are going to stay.

I would imagine it to be a bit busy during the week and there are internet terminals and indeed everything you would need for business placed around the hotel. There are also tables with water, fresh fruit and biscuits that can be accessed any time of the night or day.

The hotel was really hot. There is no double glazing so they keep the heat right up. We had to sleep with our windows open. The bed was a bit small, which was a shame, but it didn't stop me getting a good nights sleep.

The food was very nice. Nothing terribly fancy, but plentiful and wholesome. They need to work on their vegetarian awareness as despite having won a vegetarian award, they served up meat and non meat sandwiches on the same plate.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the hotel is about 10 minutes drive from Guildford town centre and easily accessible for shopping.

I am definitely going to stay again. I think a shopping weekend would be in order. I am not sure that I would stay during the week because of the conference traffic.

A little difficult to find, old style understated elegance, a lovely place for a break.

• Liked — Character
  • Disliked — The bed
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a corner room
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hevcbs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2005

I stayed at Barnett Hill for 2 nights while at a conference. On arrival, I was impressed by the lovely gardens and the hotel itself looked lovely. However, the good impression did not last. The receptionist gave me the wrong directions to my room, which was in a "cottage" on the property. When I eventually found my room it was spacious and the bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom, but bed was so uncomfortable it was hard to get a decent night's sleep.

Dinner is ordered from a limited menu in the small bar. The meal is then served in the dining room. The food itself was very hit or miss. My meal on the first night was okay but the second night it was inedible. Breakfast was a choice of cereals, croissants or a greasy cooked English breakfast. Lunch was in the form of a good, varied buffet.

I found the staff to be quite unhelpful and unfriendly. Meeting rooms are not air conditioned and get very hot during the summer months. This makes it difficult to concentrate if you're stuck in a hot room all day with the only ventilation being open windows or a noisy fan.

The grounds are huge and are very peaceful, but they can't make up for the poor quality of this venue.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
#4 of 11 in Guildford
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!