Barnett Hill Hotel
US$119
US$84
US$80
  • Pool
Premier Inn Guildford North (A3) Hotel(Guildford)(Great Value!)
US$93
PremierInn.com
Holiday Inn Guildford(Guildford)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$91
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsthe main houseafternoon teagorgeous groundsoriginal featuresbeautiful hotelcountry housebreakfast roombuffet stylewedding venuean upgradea lovely staylovely settingwedding breakfastguildford areastayed one nightfull englishbooked this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We had a weekend break here. We have travelled widely over the years sometimes in very expensive hotels so have lots of hotel experiences and we always travel to new places full of anticipation. Satnav took us to the door and we experienced from the start a level of service other places can only aspire to. Room (18 ) was pretty good - maybe a bathroom upgrade in due course - but everything worked - free water available - bed large and comfortable. There was a small conference on - 18 people - but they were very quiet and friendly - adding to the Country House atmosphere. Booked dinner in the Oak Room - real fire - fabulous service ( Justina and Anita ) and found food absolutely brilliant. No probs with wine by the glass - we were so well looked after each night - happy to supply food not on the menu as my wife has restricted tastes. When we arrived back on the Sat evening Anita saw us pull up and quickly left the bar to came to open the front door for us ! All the staff were chatty but nicely unobtrusive. No chance to walk the grounds - weather not too good - but the place is impressive. I've been on hundreds of conferences over the years but never anywhere as nice as this. For weekend breaks - marvellous too !! Well done to all the staff - you made us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
sundialbarnett, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2010

Thank you for your very kind comments following your stay at Barnett Hill in May. It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we sincerely hope that you will have an opportunity in the future to pay us a return visit when hopefully the weather will be a little kinder to you so that you can enjoy the stunning garden and grounds

Reviewed 21 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at Barnett Hill for a Red Letter Days one night wine tasting break we received as a wedding gift.

We had a nice break overall. The hotel is in a pretty area and we went for a nice walk on the grounds the next day. We just had a few criticisms. Our room was very small and stuffy. The bed was a ¾ bed, not really enough room for both of us to fit comfortably. Also, the food was ok, but not great.

Although we had an enjoyable night, I would not be in a rush to return to Barnett Hill.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a Red Letter Days wine tasting event. I am sorry that we failed to meet entirely with your expectaions on this occasion in respect of the allocation of your bedroom and the evening meal provided. Since it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied, we take all forms of feedback very seriously indeed and your comments will certainly be of use to us when considering future refurbishment proposals for some of our bedrooms and in revising menus for future Red Letter Day events

Reviewed 31 July 2009

Just an overnight stay - would love to stay longer - staff very helpful , room lovely , breakfast 5 star - well done

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2006

We stayed here two nights for a wedding. I knew it was a conference centre and didn't have a pool so I was not overly enthusiastic at the thought of staying.

On arrival I thought it was beautiful. It is a listed building and is carefully preserved. I am not much of a one for architecture and couldn't tell you what style it is, but it is beautiful. The rooms are all different, some quite large and airy and some quite small. It is a bit of a lottery I suppose. Our room was a corner room and I thoroughly recommend asking for a corner room if you are going to stay.

I would imagine it to be a bit busy during the week and there are internet terminals and indeed everything you would need for business placed around the hotel. There are also tables with water, fresh fruit and biscuits that can be accessed any time of the night or day.

The hotel was really hot. There is no double glazing so they keep the heat right up. We had to sleep with our windows open. The bed was a bit small, which was a shame, but it didn't stop me getting a good nights sleep.

The food was very nice. Nothing terribly fancy, but plentiful and wholesome. They need to work on their vegetarian awareness as despite having won a vegetarian award, they served up meat and non meat sandwiches on the same plate.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the hotel is about 10 minutes drive from Guildford town centre and easily accessible for shopping.

I am definitely going to stay again. I think a shopping weekend would be in order. I am not sure that I would stay during the week because of the conference traffic.

A little difficult to find, old style understated elegance, a lovely place for a break.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hevcbs
A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
Reviewed 19 September 2005

I stayed at Barnett Hill for 2 nights while at a conference. On arrival, I was impressed by the lovely gardens and the hotel itself looked lovely. However, the good impression did not last. The receptionist gave me the wrong directions to my room, which was in a "cottage" on the property. When I eventually found my room it was spacious and the bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom, but bed was so uncomfortable it was hard to get a decent night's sleep.

Dinner is ordered from a limited menu in the small bar. The meal is then served in the dining room. The food itself was very hit or miss. My meal on the first night was okay but the second night it was inedible. Breakfast was a choice of cereals, croissants or a greasy cooked English breakfast. Lunch was in the form of a good, varied buffet.

I found the staff to be quite unhelpful and unfriendly. Meeting rooms are not air conditioned and get very hot during the summer months. This makes it difficult to concentrate if you're stuck in a hot room all day with the only ventilation being open windows or a noisy fan.

The grounds are huge and are very peaceful, but they can't make up for the poor quality of this venue.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business