“Loved it”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Isle of Wight
“Loved it”
Reviewed 31 December 2006

We stayed here two nights for a wedding. I knew it was a conference centre and didn't have a pool so I was not overly enthusiastic at the thought of staying.

On arrival I thought it was beautiful. It is a listed building and is carefully preserved. I am not much of a one for architecture and couldn't tell you what style it is, but it is beautiful. The rooms are all different, some quite large and airy and some quite small. It is a bit of a lottery I suppose. Our room was a corner room and I thoroughly recommend asking for a corner room if you are going to stay.

I would imagine it to be a bit busy during the week and there are internet terminals and indeed everything you would need for business placed around the hotel. There are also tables with water, fresh fruit and biscuits that can be accessed any time of the night or day.

The hotel was really hot. There is no double glazing so they keep the heat right up. We had to sleep with our windows open. The bed was a bit small, which was a shame, but it didn't stop me getting a good nights sleep.

The food was very nice. Nothing terribly fancy, but plentiful and wholesome. They need to work on their vegetarian awareness as despite having won a vegetarian award, they served up meat and non meat sandwiches on the same plate.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the hotel is about 10 minutes drive from Guildford town centre and easily accessible for shopping.

I am definitely going to stay again. I think a shopping weekend would be in order. I am not sure that I would stay during the week because of the conference traffic.

A little difficult to find, old style understated elegance, a lovely place for a break.

• Liked — Character
  • Disliked — The bed
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a corner room
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hevcbs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2005

I stayed at Barnett Hill for 2 nights while at a conference. On arrival, I was impressed by the lovely gardens and the hotel itself looked lovely. However, the good impression did not last. The receptionist gave me the wrong directions to my room, which was in a "cottage" on the property. When I eventually found my room it was spacious and the bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom, but bed was so uncomfortable it was hard to get a decent night's sleep.

Dinner is ordered from a limited menu in the small bar. The meal is then served in the dining room. The food itself was very hit or miss. My meal on the first night was okay but the second night it was inedible. Breakfast was a choice of cereals, croissants or a greasy cooked English breakfast. Lunch was in the form of a good, varied buffet.

I found the staff to be quite unhelpful and unfriendly. Meeting rooms are not air conditioned and get very hot during the summer months. This makes it difficult to concentrate if you're stuck in a hot room all day with the only ventilation being open windows or a noisy fan.

The grounds are huge and are very peaceful, but they can't make up for the poor quality of this venue.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Asperion Hillside Hotel
Asperion Hillside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Worplesdon
Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Barnett Hill Hotel

Property: Barnett Hill Hotel
Address: Barnett Hill House Blackheath Lane, Wonersh, Guildford GU5 0RF, England (Formerly Barnett Hill Hotel)
Region: United Kingdom > England > Surrey > Guildford > Wonersh
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:4 star — Barnett Hill Hotel 4*
Our manor house has been lovingly renovated with all of our guest facilities newly modernised and ready to welcome you. Alongside our 4-star hotel rating we are also delighted to inform you that our Oak Room Restaurant has recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes with our new executive Head Chef, Lee Young, formally senior sous chef at the Four Seasons, Hampshire. Barnett Hill, a Queen Anne style Mansion dating back to 1905 was the dream of Frank Cook, Grandson of renowned travel agent ‘Thomas Cook’. Set within 26 acres of lovingly maintained gardens and woodland; sitting in the heart of the Surrey Hills just outside Guildford, Barnett Hill Country House Hotel takes a stunning hill top location, within the beautifully established area of outstanding natural beauty in Surrey. Positioned only 3 miles from Guildford town centre and 30 minutes from London, Barnett Hill is wonderfully convenient yet retains a tranquil and peaceful rural setting, with undisturbed 360 degree views of the Surrey Hills and surrounding countryside. The perfect hotel for your upcoming countryside escape. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Barnett Hill Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Barnett Hill, a Sundial Group Venue Hotel Guildford