“Not your normal HI Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pekin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Not your normal HI Express”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

A step up from the normal HI Express. Sound from next room does not filter thru wall. Lever handle on outside of door is operable so you dont get the slamming of doors closing when you leave the room. Large flat screen TV with HD channels. Larger than normal rooms, some with a full size fridge, others with a kitchen. Newer building, with modern decor. But you will pay the price, much higher than most HI Express. Not very close to any major highway. My stay was booked by a company convention I attended. Staff was wonderful, beds very comfortable. Could use an upgrade on the water temp and pressure on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank roadtrippersx2Chicao
Carl C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear guest thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have informed our maintenance department of the issues you had during your stay and they have been addressed. The maintenance engineer checked the water temperature and found it to be lower than the reccommended setting. He adjusted this temperature keeping within the temperature guidelines. As far as the pressure is concerned the maintenace engineer checked 50% of the rooms on the third floor and found the showers with good pressure and the vanity sinks with somewhat of a lower pressure. The lower water pressure located at the vanity sink is due to the water saving devices that are part of the faucet to help our hotel move more towards being "Green". I hope you find this information useful and I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of your stay as it helped us correct an issue we were not aware of! We know there are many lodging choices out there and we thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel is newer, and is very clean. The staff was nice, breakfast was hot. The only negative was that my Air Conditioning failed, and it was a bit warm and humid outside. I called the front desk, and the apologized, however the hotel was full, so they were unable to give me a different room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Compsolut
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Compsolut,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the unusual condition of the air conditioning unit in your room during your stay . I have taken note of your valuable comments and shared them to our maintenance team to be addressed accordingly.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mandeville, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

After traveling apprx. 13hrs. we stopped for lodging. Told the front desk we were staying for 2 nights & asked for a discount. The gentleman at the front desk did honor a discount but did not bother to tell us the rate was nightly. We were under the impression is was for 2 nights. He said "just initial this for no smoking" and that was that!! At check out we found out the rate quoted was DOUBLE! I spoke with the manager after arriving home (LA.) & he more or less said "too bad so sad" you signed the paper!! When our family comes back to Pekin next year for a wedding we will NOT stay at Holiday Inn Express!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathy T
Carl C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to respond to your issues you had upon chek-in. When you phoned my office and left me a message I did return your call the next morning. As I explained to you in our conversation the front desk agent would not give a total for the entire stay but only would quote you the nightly rate. I did check your registration card and what the front desk agent quoted was reflected on your signed registration card. To be sure that the agent was not misrepresenting our company I did listen to the agent check in several guests that evening and on all of the check ins the agent did in fact quote the nightly rate and then explained to the guest what they were signing. I apologize for any confusion that you have experienced and I am sorry to hear that you do not want to utilize our hotel in the future. We have a wonderful updated property which does provide good customer service. However if you do need assistance in the future with our hotel or I could assist you in finding an alternate location please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of the staff at the property. I wish you and your family safe future travels!
IL
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I had stayed here once before, the room I had that time was large, this time it was a room with two queen beds and it was very small. I don't know what happened to the water pressure in the rooms, but the sink especially had water pressure that was so low it was impossible to shave or brush your teeth as you would like. Overall, the hotel is ok- typical Holiday Inn Express with average beds, terrible pillows, but pretty clean and affordable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank tc3399
Carl C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us kn ow about our hotel. To address your concerns regarding the pillows we do have additional pillows available for your use. They come in both soft and firm options and if what is supplied on the bed is not enough we would be happy to provide you with as many as you would like to make yourself more comfortable. The next time your travels bring you to our area please let the front desk know during your reservation that you require additional pillows and they will be waiting for you when you arrive.

As far as the water pressure in the sink, our hotel is trying to be as "green" as possible and the sink faucets are the new water flow faucets. Unfortunately the draw back is the flow is not we are use to and I include myself in this. I have to admit it took some getting use to. I am sorry that the flow is not to your liking but I hope this does not keep you from staying with us in the future!

Thanks again for the comments!
north america
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Great location and a staff that was on the ball! Very busy weekend when I stayed here and the staff did a great job! You have the Pekin Mall Shopping Center down the street for any shopping needs. Avanti's Italian restaurant is a short walk across the hotel parking lot. They have decent food at a decent price. The hotel breakfast was good with plenty of variety. The room were modern and clean with a newer flat screen TV. Bathroom had ample room and was very clean.
Hotel pool is a bit on the small side and only 5 feet deep. Whirlpool tub also located in the pool area. I would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: I has a room that faced the parking lot and did not experience too much noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank sobore
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the staff. Thank you for writing the review!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed in Pekin for a family event. There were not many choices in this area. The hotel was clean (although my footies were filthy upon leaving...I am rather weird about walking about barefooted in hotel rooms..). At any rate, it appeared clean. The bed was a little soft for my tastes, but I prefer a firm mattress. A rate of $151 (tax included) seemed rather high to me, but like I said...we were rather limited. There was state competitions in neighboring Peoria, so the hotel was fully booked. They seemed a bit unprepared because they ran out of towels. The floor above us either booked a herd of cattle, or a team of teenagers...which I believe it the latter. I have no trouble with teenagers, had two myself...just not peaceful and quiet. We were at the end of the floor, so the outside noise was a bit tolerable, but many slamming doors and running down the hallway.
The front desk was very friendly, and did have a toiletry need we had forgotten, with no charge. We did not partake in the early morning breakfast, as it was rather busy with teams. I realize that this might not be a normal situation for this hotel...you might want to check and see if there are any state tournaments in the area before staying. For the money we paid I expected a little more...extra towels (water on floor in bathroom due shower curtain issues.) I know the high room rates were due to the tournaments, which is a bit expected, but we have another one booked in Georgia soon and it is $40 cheaper! This was a decent place to stay, but might go further down the road to another town before booking again during this season.

Room Tip: Always choose the top floor due to noise level, and find out about tourneys in the area.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tchrmom777
It is very helpful to me when a guest goes into such detail about their stay. It is a great tool for our staff to use to help correct our shortfalls and recognize our successes especially when it comes to the employees of the hotel that provide great service.

Regarding the higher rate you paid, you are exactly correct when you stated that the rate was higher due to the teams that were in town for the competitions. My best advise I can give is to book your reservations as far in advance as possible to obtain the best rate as all rates fluctuate with demand. Another tip is that all Holiday Inn properties have available the "Advance Purchase" rate which in most cases has to be booked at least 14 days before arrival. This can save you some money no matter where you stay. But be careful because these reservations are non-refundable should you have to cancel if your plans change. This type of reservation will also require full payment at time of booking.

I apologize to you and your family for not being able to eat breakfast in the morning due to the teams. I have spoken with my Regional Director of Sales and have informed him of your issue. In the future we will attempt to seperate the teams into another banquet room when available to reduce the traffic in the breakfast area and this way you can enjoy the breakfast you deserve. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Regarding the noise; you were right on again with getting the top floor. When making your reservation you always have the option to request the top floor and while we can not guarantee you will receive this we do everything we can to accommodate all requests.

Thank you very much for your time and your suggestions were very helpful to myself and my staff!

Wishing you safe travels!
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is a newer place that is excellent in most ways. Very clean, fast internet, comfortable bed, great service and check-in. Note that it is a somewhat circuitous path to get to it from I-494 - make certain your directions are clear.

I asked for a room on the top floor when making reservations, was given a room on the second floor with no other options when I arrived at 8:00 PM. I always get a top floor because of noise issues. So, from between 4:30 and about 5:00 AM, I was treated to what sounded like furniture rearrangement overhead. This is less a complaint of this hotel, and more HI express and similar buildings in general. They tend to loud.

For those interested, the breakfast was well below average. No hot food (out of order sign) and the bagel I got was stale.

Good rate though and I would return, but only if I got a room on the top floor.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank roboird
Thank you for your comments! I have addressed your concerns regarding breakfast and can assure you this will not happen again. I also looked into why you were not provided a top floor room. I can not provide you with a reason why this did not happen but I did bring this up to the front desk staff at our weekly meeting. While we can not guarantee this type of request we do try to provide you with your requests.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to your return!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pekin
Super 8 Pekin/Peoria Area
Best Western Plus Peoria
Best Western Plus Peoria
#7 of 10 in East Peoria
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites East Peoria

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Pekin? Share your experiences!