“Great Steak”

Price range: US$7 - US$30
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I had a party of 10 for my bday and we chose to come to Sky Harbor. Great steak for sure. The service was not great but we think maybe they are understaffed. One girl had a few larger tables...she was having a hard time keeping up.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We made a reservation for 8 pm and arrived on time. The hostess (an older lady) had no idea what she was doing and people had been waiting for over an hour for their table. It became a joke around the hostess stand. If you didn't stand right over the book and watch when a table became available, you wouldn't get a table. 40 minutes later she attempted to give our table to another couple who had a 8:30 reservation but because I was right there and our name was at the top of the list, she was unable to do so. Our waiter was polite but disorganized. We waited 30 minutes for our salad and had to ask for them. The restaurant advertises "sizzling steaks" and there was absolutely no sizzle in our steak, in fact my steak was just barely warm. It was medium rare so that was a good thing. The potato was hot and the rolls were tasty. My husband has fond memories of this restaurant but I won't be considering this place again.

1  Thank Reyna Y
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Sky Harbor has always been consistently good. When we moved away from Peoria, we always put this place on our "must visit" list when we returned to the area. We have a favorite server here named Lou who always remembers her customers and is quick on her feet. I always get a New York Strip steak, salad(French & poppy seed), mushrooms, and au gratin potatoes. My wife gets the whole fried catfish with the same sides (minus mushrooms). Our meals are always perfect and flavorful. We especially love the au gratins even tho there is an up charge on them. Their French onion soup is also very good. Many people love their ribs.
The décor here is like something out of the 50's & 60's. The hostess also looks like she is still in that era, which makes it fun. They have music on some evenings and accept reservations. The place is a bit dark, so take a flashlight if you have trouble reading in low light.
Special holidays are hectic here, so I wouldn't recommend going then. The service isn't as good and the food can be less than desired on those evenings.
The first bad experience we have had was on 12/19/13. Lou was not working and I had never seen our older waitress before. She seemed a bit nervous right from the start. I don't know if that is just her personality or if it was because we had our 4 yr. old grandson with us. She ended up dropping a large amount of French dressing on my "dry clean only" suede jacket. She didn't seem worried about that. We kinda looked at her with the question of "now what?". She proceeded to take a damp white cloth and dab at it a couple of times where it hung on the back of the chair. She said "there, that should do it". How would she know in the darkened room on a black jacket?! We were trying to examine it when she stopped by again. I told her I didn't think it came out. So she got some club soda and wiped it again. My experience with the red dye and oils in French dressing is that it takes dry cleaning to remove it. She went on to wait on a couple of other tables and left us wondering who would take care of the problem. (I didn't bring another jacket to town for the holidays and we were staying at a hotel) We have always spoke with and interacted with the owner, so my wife called him to our table and told him what happened. He didn't seem too concerned either. So she asked him to take it to an area with more light to examine it. He took it to the kitchen and returned a couple minutes later. He said it should be ok. We were waiting for him to offer to have it dry cleaned or give us some money off the meal to compensate for our dry cleaning bill. He never did. It felt like we were talking to someone we didn't even know from our many past visits. This was our first experience with him as a businessman. I would have been nice to have him handle it more responsibly. My wife, daughter, and son worked in the restaurant business for years. The policy wherever they worked was that clothes would be washed or dry cleaned if something was spilled on them. We have never personally had this happen before, so we just assumed it was the same across the board at all restaurants. I know Lou would have offered to take care of it for us if she would have been working. After we left, we went to a place with better lighting and there were 3 big spots on the front of the jacket. So I guess I will wear it that way until it is dry cleaned or go without a jacket here in the cold until we leave. The handling of this issue left much to be desired and spoke volumes about our value as regulars at Sky Harbor. We usually tip 30%, so we did only tip 20% and will use the remainder towards the dry cleaning. suggestion: don't leave a coat on the back of a chair.

2  Thank oggiedoggie2013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I had the best rib eye ever. I did not need my knife...I could cut it with my fork. The décor was so 50's /60's, just what we were looking for. The piano man was great as well. What a nice time to spend with family. We all had a great meal.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

It was a great place. Very eclectic atmosphere. A little bit of everything. We had a great dinner experience. And that's saying something for Peoria because food is sometimes hard to find on the weekends.