“Perfect Stay”

Port Galena Inn B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Peoria
Port Galena Inn B&B
Ranked #2 of 5 Peoria B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Port Galena Inn was a pleasant suprise. Situated right on the river we had a lovely deck and were able to watch the boats and barges and hear the laping of the waves. The bed was confortable and the sheets soft and cozy. Our host Ryan was great and took great care of us!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AbbeyD07

Families
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I stayed in Skip`s Landing and the view was awesome...it was perfect for me. Had my husband been with I would have preferred the downstairs room. Yes, the bath is not private as far as you do have to walk through the main part of house to get to it, but no one used it. Train was not an issue, actually it was quite cool! Food for breakfast was fantastic...I was good til dinner time and coffee was awesome as well!!! Thanks too, Skip and Judy for info about what was around area and for just what the doctor ordered! I will for sure go back and recommend this inn to others! gloria

Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank GJRAurora_Illinois
champaign
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Ignore the negative reviews! The service and ambiance was superb! We loved the views, it was very private and Skip and Judy were great hosts! I would highly recommend this B&B if you're looking for low key, out of the ordinary adn very welcoming!

J&T

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gria2008
St. Louis
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I'm sitting in a beautiful Double Tree Hotel, sipping at my coffee and remembering my recent stay at the B&B in Peoria. A continental breakfast there was sure different than the one here which is just 2 small muffins, a banana, juice, and coffee. I seem to remember pastries, fruits cups, bagels, yogurts,etc.. That was a really nice stay. I enjoyed the company of the owner and manager as well as my personal time, taking in the views and sounds of nature. It was a very comfortable stay. Good memories

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SusanBSt_Louis
chicago
Reviewed 21 May 2010

On this business trip, I wanted a change from the usual sterile environment of the hotel. This bed & breakfast provided just that difference. From the outside, it looks quite small, but looks were deceiving. When I walked in and saw the tremendous view from the kitchen window, I was completely surprised! I stayed on the lower level, closest to the water. My room was small, quaint, and had its own deck, bathroom, and sitting area. How nice to just kick back with a glass of wine and watch the sun set. The bed was very comfortable. I also liked that the tv wasn't the main attraction of the room. I did appreciate the WI-FI in this environment. The staff made himself available and was very warm and friendly.
I awoke to early coffee, fresh pastries, a fruit cup, bagels, etc.....a nice selection.
I had a great stay. If you just want a comfortable place to stay, a place that has terrific views and is outside the city, I would recommend this B&B.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Amycatherine
MI
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I stay exclusively at B&B's in all price points. This inn had some pluses but a lot of minuses as well, and some of those are hugely important to some people, so beware. It's located on the river side of Galena Rd and build right on top of the sea wall for the river. On the street side it appears to be 1 story, on the river side it's at least 3 stories tall.

MINUS - Bath NOT private, poor parking, railroad tracks, bed not made, not owner occupied, no TV channel guide & sleep timer didn't work on remote
PLUS - Great view, friendly helpful staff, good breakfast, close to my activities while staying there, comfortable bed, individual room temperature controls (not always available in B&Bs), quiet room, small TV in room and large one in public area

Details:
Their website says that all rooms have private baths and decks. But to get to the bath for Skip's Landing you have to travel thru all of the public areas - kitchen, living room and office area to the other side of the house! Not very private in my humble opinion, but they do provide robes in the closet. If there is a deck for that room I assume it's the one off the kitchen dining area. The room in the lower level (I'm not sure of the name of this one since it wasn't posted on it's door) did have it's own private bath and deck, but it's also down a full flight of stairs enclosed on both sides. They will haul your luggage for you however. The other two rooms are no longer available for traveling guests. One is rented out to a full time tenant and the other is used by on site B&B staff.

As noted in the other review, the bed did not get made (but that wasn't a huge deal to me) and parking is terrible! There is a very narrow shoulder to park on and that is the only parking available. Walking from your car to the front door is difficult due to the heavy street traffic (which I never heard during the night) and the large rocks around the railroad grade. I couldn't believe it when I saw how close the railroad tracks were to the house. I never saw a train pass while I was there, but it sounded like it came by in the middle of the day according to the staff person. If it didn't go slow it would probably shake the whole house as it passes unbelievably close to the front porch. And don't park in the short driveway, as the train would take off the rear half of your car when it came thru!

PLUS - The rooms do have SPECTACULAR views of the river. If you stay in the summer they also have jet skis available to their guests, so I'm told. The breakfasts were very good, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, quiche one day and pancakes the other. Not sure about the other rooms, but Skip's Landing had both a window air conditioner and an electric heater that looks like a woodburning stove. The outdoor temperature varied so much during the time of my stay I had occasion to use them both and both did a good job of comfortably regulating the room temperature. The mattress was very comfy, though they should rotate it more often - it was starting to sag more on the door side of the room than on the side toward the closets. But I slept more comfortably there than at home, so I can't complain about that! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall the Inn was clean, though I did see a dead spider in the corner of a room and something on the floor near the back of the toilet.

If you are aware of the minuses and they aren't a big deal to you then I would recommend this inn, since there's no longer another B&B in the same viciinity. If you're willing to travel a little further you may be able to find something nicer, though it may be more expensive also. I'm not sure if I would stay there again myself or not.

• Stayed May 2010
4 Thank jellolady
Rising Sun, Maryland
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We are not new to staying at B &B's so our review has it's pros and cons. I also grew up in the nearby area so was looking forward to checking out this fairly new business (less than 3 years). It is the only B&B in Peoria Heights. Coming in at night was very difficult to find. You will be parking parallel to the road and only feet (inches?) from the busy, fast and sometimes noisy traffic on Galena road. You will also need to cross railroad tracks to get to the house, so NOT easily accessible for anyone with walking difficulties or in a wheelchair. Yes, occassionally a train does go past - I believe no more than once or twice a day, but quite slowly so no major noise but the horn blaring at intersections. Our room had a wonderful view with a walkout porch to see the river, wildlife and barge traffic - which is quite silent and fascinating to watch. Our room was a little on the small side for 2 people. We did get to see all the rooms and the biggest one is the nicest with it's own kitchen and sitting areas but was previously booked. Unfortunately, we did see mouse droppings in that room and pointed that out to Skip who also does maintenance. Imagine our surprise when we discovered that we would need to make our own bed! Never have we stayed at a B&B where we made our own bed - even the less expensive hotels in the area make your bed. We also felt like we were 'imposing' rather than being welcome guest since the ladies who work there also have other full- time jobs. The owners do not live on the premises but Judi brings in breakfast (on her way to work). She did make a delicious quiche one morning, but that was only for one day of the 3 we were there. Continental (local pasteries) brought in the other 2. Unfortunately, unless the owners make some major changes, we are afraid they will not be in business for long. Even though there were fabulous views, it was too expensive for what little we received.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelingCoyote
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Mark Twain Hotel
Mark Twain Hotel
#6 of 23 in Peoria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center
Hampton Inn Peoria-East At The River Boat Crossing
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - East Peoria

Been to Port Galena Inn B&B? Share your experiences!