“Quaint, intimate atmosphere, OK food”
Review of Beignet's on the corner - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Beignet's on the corner
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband took me to Beignet's on the Corner for my birthday as a surprise since I had been wanting to try it out for awhile. The location used to be a small wine bar, so we made reservations since it was a Saturday night, just in case it was full. When we arrived, there were just a few empty tables. It is decorated to look like a New Orleans jazz bar and the lighting is low, so if you do like to really "see" your food and what's going on, you may not be impressed with the cozy atmosphere. Service was adeqate up to this point, and our server seemed knowledgeable and able to make wine and beer recommendations. They even serve Abita beer, which is a local New Orleans brew. We both ordered a cup of the shrimp bisque, which was very rich and delicious. I had a salad, which was pretty much just a salad. For my entree, I ordered the paella, which honestly, I found to be quite bland. I had expected more, I guess. My husband had never had a beignet before, so I told him he had to try one, so we ordered some after dinner. That was when the wait came. We waited so long that our server even apologized for the wait. Then, the beignets were definitely not what I had remembered to be so tasty when I was last in New Orleans. All in all, the experience was OK and I would maybe go back, but if there were other new local establishments to choose from, I would probably go there first.

1  Thank Aly3573

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Go for the red beans and rice...it is to die for. I asked the waitress what was poplular, and she told me the red beans and rice was a big seller, so I tried it. I had never ordered it anywhere before, but WOW! I loved it. In addition to the obvious items, it contained lots of grilled vegetables and also some awesome sausage. The ensalada de berres is really good, too. Salad with greens, avocado, roasted almonds and grapefruit...unusual, but delicious.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I visited Beignets on St. Patricks Day - it's a pretty restaurant though very small. When we walked in at 6:30pm there was only one other table occupied. That made us a little nervous but we thought everyone must be at the next door Irish restaurant. Our server was very nice and personalbe and was very professional but we thought the food was not very good. We started with an appetizer call "French Dips" and it was literally four slices of barely toasted French bread topped with a cold, slice of cucumber and then some carrott and celery sticks. The sauces were terrible - seemed straight out of a bottle. My daughter and I both ordered po-boys - huge pieces of bread and almost no meat. My daughters boyfriend ordered shrimp and andouille sausage - he used some of the appetizer sauces to add flavor and moisture to it! The food was really not good. the appetizer was about $8.00 and the shrimp andouille was 15.00 and the shrimp op boy was 11.00 * had 4 tiny frozen breaded shrimp on it. We were very disappointed.

1  Thank Becky C
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I recently enjoyed lunch at Beignet's on the corner and was delighted with the menu, service and location. While far from an expert on cajun and creole cooking, I selected a couple of classics, a cup of Chicken & Sausage Gumbo and a shrimp Po'boy. The gumbo had a bit of a zing to it, actually a lot less than I expected and far less that I can tolerate. It was flavorful, piping and and nary room for much liquid as it was full of delicious meat, veggies and rice. The sandwich was served on a fresh crunchy baguette and has aioli on the side. I'll be back again for sure!

2  Thank FlyingMike
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Upscale creole restaurant. Fridays presidential Jambalaya is to die for.