“New management is trying” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Peoria, Illinois
“New management is trying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

This place has changed hands a couple of times. We decided to try it under the new management. For a Friday night they were not very busy, which is probably not a good sign. I started with the Shrimp Bisque, which was delicious. Then I went for the Jambalaya and the waitress warned me it came with whole crayfish, which I didn't mind. I enjoyed the dish but it could have had alittle more kick to it. The bread that was served with the meal could definitely be improved. My wife had the bean burger which she approved of. The house spiced fries are the best!! Some great seasoning on them. Our waitress suggested 3 desserts....beignets, or "homemad" ice cream, or "homemade" cheese cake. I tried the ice cream and it was delicious. Next time we stop for desserts and sample the cheese cake and ice cream.

PS - Could use some Christmas decorations for the season.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Kent, Ohio
“A one server restaurant that could be much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Was here on a moderately busy Friday night. Came here on the recommendation of the hostess at a restaurant just up the street, who had told us there would be at least an hour wait for a table at her place...so she suggested beignet's...where we were seated immediately. It still took us more than an hour to be served, which we noted with some irony...only one server, who was also the bartender, was taking care of customers inside and outside, where we were seated. Probably took 15 minutes, or more, to be served our drink order, and one of the beers requested wasn't available; when she brought the alternative, it wasn't the beer my colleague had ordered. NO matter; given the time it took, he would probably have been happy with iced tea. The food, when it finally arrived, was ok...my catfish po'boy was boring...two small filets, tomato and lettuce...no sauce provided, none offered and apparently non available...so I asked for malt vinegar...none. But Balsamic? yes...it worked. Sort of. Our server was on the move, most of the time and she apologized for the slow service. But at some point, in my career as a restaurant customer, understaffing leads to a bad experience...or a mediocre one, at best. And that's where I would place Beignet's...mediocre food, dismal service and lots and lots of room for improvement.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank 2jbsdad
Peoria Heights, Illinois
“Quaint, intimate atmosphere, OK food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband took me to Beignet's on the Corner for my birthday as a surprise since I had been wanting to try it out for awhile. The location used to be a small wine bar, so we made reservations since it was a Saturday night, just in case it was full. When we arrived, there were just a few empty tables. It is decorated to look like a New Orleans jazz bar and the lighting is low, so if you do like to really "see" your food and what's going on, you may not be impressed with the cozy atmosphere. Service was adeqate up to this point, and our server seemed knowledgeable and able to make wine and beer recommendations. They even serve Abita beer, which is a local New Orleans brew. We both ordered a cup of the shrimp bisque, which was very rich and delicious. I had a salad, which was pretty much just a salad. For my entree, I ordered the paella, which honestly, I found to be quite bland. I had expected more, I guess. My husband had never had a beignet before, so I told him he had to try one, so we ordered some after dinner. That was when the wait came. We waited so long that our server even apologized for the wait. Then, the beignets were definitely not what I had remembered to be so tasty when I was last in New Orleans. All in all, the experience was OK and I would maybe go back, but if there were other new local establishments to choose from, I would probably go there first.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Aly3573
Groveland, Illinois
“Quaint little place in downtown Peoria”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Go for the red beans and rice...it is to die for. I asked the waitress what was poplular, and she told me the red beans and rice was a big seller, so I tried it. I had never ordered it anywhere before, but WOW! I loved it. In addition to the obvious items, it contained lots of grilled vegetables and also some awesome sausage. The ensalada de berres is really good, too. Salad with greens, avocado, roasted almonds and grapefruit...unusual, but delicious.

Visited May 2012
Overland Park, Kansas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I visited Beignets on St. Patricks Day - it's a pretty restaurant though very small. When we walked in at 6:30pm there was only one other table occupied. That made us a little nervous but we thought everyone must be at the next door Irish restaurant. Our server was very nice and personalbe and was very professional but we thought the food was not very good. We started with an appetizer call "French Dips" and it was literally four slices of barely toasted French bread topped with a cold, slice of cucumber and then some carrott and celery sticks. The sauces were terrible - seemed straight out of a bottle. My daughter and I both ordered po-boys - huge pieces of bread and almost no meat. My daughters boyfriend ordered shrimp and andouille sausage - he used some of the appetizer sauces to add flavor and moisture to it! The food was really not good. the appetizer was about $8.00 and the shrimp andouille was 15.00 and the shrimp op boy was 11.00 * had 4 tiny frozen breaded shrimp on it. We were very disappointed.

• Visited March 2012