“Story of an International icon”

Caterpillar Visitors Center
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Peoria
More attraction details
Owner description: The Caterpillar Visitors Center is a fascinating look at the company, the iron and the people making sustainable progress possible around the world. From the humble beginnings of the first tractor to the company's present-day leadership in building infrastructure and powering the planet — it's all right here on Peoria's beautiful riverfront. We invite you to experience Caterpillar like never before and plan your visit today.
Kankakee, Illinois
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Story of an International icon”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Caterpillar is one of the most enduring companies in Illinois history, started with humble beginnings in Peoria, IL, and still headquartered there after all this time. The dazzling Visitor's center is a celebration of that success. It takes an hour or so to experience the center and it is right next door to the Riverfront Museum, so you can park to experience both, as well as the restaurants along the vibrantly redeveloped RiverFront area.

I suppose you need to determine whether the subject matter suits your interests - a small but very nicely done museum explaining how a local tractor company grew to become the world's premier manufacturer of heavy construction equipment, including the gallery of CAT vehicles to climb around in and "man the controls."

The vehicles on display are not mock-ups but the real thing, full of buttons and knobs that are pushable and turnable, though of course the vehicles themselves do not start, move or allow you to start demolishing their home. Simulators are provided for those who need more action. We enjoyed climbing in the huge scoop at the front of one, waiting for Daddy to "scoop us up!" Instead he just snapped a pic, which was enough adventure for us.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank KmomChicago

Goshen, Kentucky
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Young Boy's Dream”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Or family was visiting the Lincoln sites in Springfield, but when I found out about this place, I knew we had to add this to our trip. It is well worth the drive up. I thought it was easy to get to, and there were a few parking spots in front for just a dollar an hour. Even though it's downtown, I felt safe during the week, as there were a lot of office workers about.

The staff was extremely friendly. We had two young kids with us (boy and girl) who both could have spent a whole day just pushing buttons on the display equipment. My wife and I had a blast on the bulldozer and excavator simulators. They also had a couple of movies and a small museum type area.

Since we visited during the week and out of travel season, we almost had the place to ourselves. I think that really made the visit more pleasant, since we could spend as much time as we wanted without holding up a line.

If you have an aspiring equipment operator in your house, check this out.

3 Thank z28colt
Madison, Wisconsin
“Very Interesting!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Only thing I did not like about this museum is the location. I just wish it was in an area not so busy but I do understand why it is there. Very clean and nice building and provided great customer service!

Visited March 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Find the time”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was in town on a trip between here and there and had an hour or so in the morning before I needed to hit the road. If you find yourself finishing breakfast and looking for something to do, you can't go wrong here, though it doesn't open till 10 (so don't get caught out like I did).

You can look at and clamber over all sizes of yellow machinery, watch films, play on simulators and then marvel in the gift shop at the selection of over a hundred different caps (never mind all the other stuff they've got).

An amusing way to pass the time for kids big and small.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Stu C
TX
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Big Toys”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The guys really enjoyed seeing all the tractors and technology in the Caterpillar Center. The company has a huge presence in the city.

Visited December 2013