“Some superb staff + poor housekeeping=work in progress”

Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Some superb staff + poor housekeeping=work in progress”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As it was on my first stay there is a group of fabulous dedicated employees that always go out of their way to make things wonderful and welcoming for the guests. That group consists of Marta and Rudy at the front door. Dillon and Rob at the valet parking, the entire front desk staff, the chef in the restaurant for breakfast. Where he gets such fresh fruit each and every day for breakfast is beyond me. It is all greatly appreciated. Lisa, a waitress in the restaurant for breakfast. Ernie in the engineering dept and Kim in security. Each and every one of them has taken the art of customer service to a whole new level that is really only seen in the very, very top hotels, such as The Pierre in NYC in and in top hotels in Europe. Customer service, in general is a dying art, it seems, but not by this group at this hotel.

If the housekeeping dept. had some of the groups professionalism this hotel would easily be a five star without equal in Central Illinois. As it is with the very shoddy housekeeping I experienced twice, in my opinion, I would have easily ranked it two stars. However, the group, I mentioned above have easily stopped the hotel being rated, 2 stars.

Now for the bad news, one night over Labor Day weekend, I returned to my room around midnight and found that it had not been cleaned. I called to the front desk and they sent security up to check the situation out. Also, at that time, there were some housekeepers cleaning empty rooms, with the radio blaring. But they could not clean the rooms of paying guests. Not good but still I chalked it up, however difficult, to, possibly, the hotel being open such a very short time.

I recently had another stay there and one day I got back to the room around 7PM and ,again, the room had not been cleaned. I was not happy. I reported it to the front desk and to their credit they did not try to make excuses. They immediately gave me a small credit and a coupon for breakfast. That certainly helped but a clean room would help more.

However, I have to say I wasnt that surprised the room wasnt cleaned as that morning there were employees walking around my floor as I waited for the elevator. They just seemed lost, bewildered and totally without supervision. I also noticed that some of them had different uniforms which makes me think what I later heard might be true. The story I heard is that, perhaps, some of the housekeeping is from a staffing agency and the hotel is trying to get rid of them. If that is true, I second the motion!!!! It was all very, very, very unprofessional and no where near the standards of Marriott.Clearly something is not right with this picture.

Amazingly, the poor housekeeping does not stop there. During my recent stay, I used the business center a few times. On the first day I noticed the waste basket in the business center was quite full. On my last day there the waste basket was overflowing onto the floor. Finally, I told the front desk about the problem. They immediately sent someone up to empty the trash which was finally cleaned up.Still it is incredible that no one from housekeeping noticed that problem for a few days. Unbelievable!

After my first stay the hotel was easily a 5 star rating. Now after the repeated housekeeping lapses but still with the group of fabulous dedicated employees it now is ranked 3 stars. I look at the glass as being half full instead of half empty. That is to say that instead of the hotel being in a decline I see it all as a work in progress. I think much, much more progress can be achieved by immediately getting rid of the agency that supplies the housekeeping dept. if in fact that is the case. However, I feel sure that s the source of the decline in housekeeping standards. If immediate attention is paid to this problem the hotel will be back to humming and strumming with 5 stars and without equal in a very large part of Illinois and the Midwest.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Long Island NY
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The good news:

1. Nice room.
2. Hotel restaurant has good food.
3. A block from the civic center
4. Free valet parking

The bad news:

1. Why do hotels continue to charge for Internet access ($10 a day).
2. I like to have more than 1/16 of a roll of toilet paper when I check into a hotel room.
3. A mini fridge cabinet without a mini fridge inside of it is a disappointment
4. When the waitress brings the chicken that was supposed to go with a salad when I'm already done eating, she should not charge me $6 for it. (Especially since, when I brought it up to my room and wanted to put it into the mini fridge, all I got was an empty cabinet).
5. There is NOTHING in the immediate area. No retail of any kind. Not a CVS, not a Dunkin' Donuts, not anything. It's a ghost town.
6. If you check your bags until a room is ready, realize that once the desk clerk opens the room with all the bags in it, you can basically take anything you'd like. No receipts, no tags on bags, just a mess of bags all over the place you can hunt through until you find your own or someone's you like better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our experience (November 2013) was two fold. The Good ...Beautiful hotel. Great lounge area. Room was modern and clean. They even waived the parking and valet fee while they have construction going on. The Bad ... PAPER THIN walls and doors. Bring your ear plugs if you aren't a very heavy sleeper. We heard people in the halls talking (just talking, not yelling). The person in the room next to ours had a beeping alarm going off throughout the night that we could hear very clearly. Can't imagine what it would have sounded like if someone was watching TV next door!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at other hotels in Peoria. This hotel is the best, hands down! Great value for the price! It will be even more wonderful when the connection to the parking ramp is complete.

We liked the modern amenities in the bathroom and the beds were very comfortable.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rstary
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Rudy being the afternoon/evening bellman & shuttle driver who came to get us from the hospital on our first working day of the stay. Until that point things had been 'rocky', to put it mildly. I am trying to be charitable & chalk those bumps up to the hotel only being open again for a few weeks, but it was a challenge. I give the hotel major kudos for continuing to deliver the newspapers to the rooms, even if only for elites (yes, I'm looking at you Hilton's of all brands!), however, that only happened 2 out of 3 mornings. Hands down these have to be among the best hotel beds I think I've ever slept in. Unfortunately, even though the hotel wasn't full, I ended up in a handicapped room right next to the elevators-note to mgmt, please turn down the bell volume at night. Despite this being a handicapped room, it was incredibly small & I question how anyone in a wheelchair would be able to function in it. Certainly there is no way someone in a wheelchair could ever get near the armoire, on the far side of the room beside the window, to hang up clothes. Though there is a roll-in shower in the bathroom, again I would question how someone in a wheelchair could get to it. While not enormous, there is a good amount of counter space in the bathroom for stuff & lighting is also good. I did not get up to the concierge club in time for evening appetizers, but the cookies were good & of course, a nice selection of juices, waters, & Pepsi (!!!) products in the fridges. Using the hotel shuttle, especially in the morning, can best be described as a 'challenge' & will depend on who you are talking to-these mixed messages were one of my biggest issues w/the hotel, especially the first 1.5 days. They seem to have some kinks & training issues that need to be worked out-a request for a suitcase stand for my room was initially declined on the grounds that 'loss prevention says we don't have any of those here'. A request for a list or map of restaurants in the area resulted in my being handed a Peoria street map, circa 2012 (again, Rudy saved the day there, as well). The tv channel line-up in the printed in-room directory is outdated-use the on-screen version on channel 94 instead. The quesadilla I ordered from room service was missing the sour cream but had 2 knives & 2 forks on the tray. The wonderful beds would be worth a return stay, but I would hope the kinks would be worked out by then.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank txrus
Laura L, General Manager at Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. Rudy is an incredible associate that makes us proud every day.

Your comments regarding our shuttle service and local restaurant maps will help to improve the level of service that we provide to our guests.

I hope that you will be visiting Peoria again in the near future and that the team and I will have the opportunity to serve you once again.
Palos Park, Illinois
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and it was fantastic! The hotel is beautiful; the recent renovations have hit the mark. The staff was friendly and efficient, including the bartender who was welcoming but not intrusive. We tasted many items from bar menu and they were satisfying and delicious. The bedding was heavenly and provided a good night's sleep. We plan on coming back and staying a longer time - can't wait!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Good day,

The hotel staff and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your weekend at the hotel. We work dilligently to offer the best service in Central Illinois.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were relocated to this property after an unpleasant stay at a different area hotel. The difference was night and day and as soon as we walked in, I wished we had begun our stay at the Marriott. We were warmly greeted by the courteous and friendly staff. The hotel is beautiful and even smells nice. I always tend to reserve final judgement until seeing the room because many other hotels keep the 'common' areas nice, but neglect the rooms. Not the case here. The rooms were also gorgeous and met my unusually high standard of cleanliness. Our room even had a lovely distant view of the river and the beds were very comfortable. Overall, our stay here was a breath of fresh air, especially after the many negative experiences we had at the previous location. My one and only complaint were the noisy neighbors who decided to barge into their room at midnight, slamming doors and talking loudly. You get discourteous people in any hotel though, so I don't blame the Marriott for that. People please remember, you are not the only ones there! You may have sleeping neighbors!

Room Tip: Ask for the southeast corner rooms for the best views of the river. Since breakfast is not free, co...