“Website needs to be updated”

Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
TX
“Website needs to be updated”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hotel was gorgeous and the staff very nice and efficient.
The dining room and bar areas very spacious and food and drinks excellent.
However, the hotel's website states the hotel has a lap pool, but when we asked the front desk, we were told there is no pool at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Laura L, General Manager at Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you for staying at the Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette during your travels. The hotel staff and I appreciate that you selected our hotel and that we had the opportunity to serve you.

I appreciate your comment about our website. I have reviewed it and it has been updated. In mid 2014, the Courtyard by Marriott Peoria Downtown will open next door. At that time the guests staying at both hotels will have the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful new swimming pool in the Courtyard building. This will be a very exciting addition.

I hope that your travels bring you back again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times to visit family, and have attended events in the ballrooms. This was my first visit post-renovation, and oh my goodness did they do a phenomenal job!

The guestrooms are very well appointed, have comfy beds, and are roomy-enough. Our bathroom only had a shower, which my husband noted would have been an issue for families with little kids (no tub for a bath).

The concierge lounge was closed for the holidays when we visited, but we received vouchers to have breakfast at Table 19 instead. The restaurant has a really nice buffet breakfast with both cold and hot (made to order) items. I'm guessing the restaurant is equally good for other meals. The bar was so-so. A French 75 threw the bartender for a massive loop, and the end result was less than fantastic. On an unrelated note, the ballrooms are as spectacular as ever.

What most impressed me (and what has been noted by other reviewers) is how proud the staff are of this hotel. They should be! It's gorgeous, well-run, and definitely a gem in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Eknels
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We had stayed here about 15 years ago and it was kind of a dump. What a surprise on our return visit. This is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed. Every thing was beautiful. The lobby, the bar the restored architecture. We seemed to think we were the first ones to ever stay in our room...it was so clean. We will definetely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Totally revamped and beautiful, this old hotel now returns to its former glory. The rooms are small, but elegant and cozy. The lobby/bar area is beautiful. We did not have the opportunity to visit the restaurant this trip, but the staff were welcoming and gracious.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Richfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We've been staying in Peoria for going on four years, to watch home basketball games at Bradley University. We've tried Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, Embassy, and various others via Priceline. This was a recommendation from a friend, and we stayed this past weekend and loved it. We went to an event at Carver Arena and the Marriott is not even a block away, which saved us parking fees (as the hotel has free valet parking). It's 3 blocks from the hospitals, about 1-2 minutes from campus, 2 blocks from the Riverfront Museum, Caterpillar HQ, bars and restaurants which was convenient.

We stayed on the 7th floor which was super quiet, even in the middle of a terrible storm and subsequent tornado hit Washington 10 miles away. The staff is friendly and professional. We hope to work out a deal with management to stay for ALL home basketball games this season…it was that nice! It has a nice lounge/bar with intimate or group type seating, and a smaller but classy restaurant called Table 19.

Our room was on the front side of the hotel which afforded us nice views of

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Laurie F
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As it was on my first stay there is a group of fabulous dedicated employees that always go out of their way to make things wonderful and welcoming for the guests. That group consists of Marta and Rudy at the front door. Dillon and Rob at the valet parking, the entire front desk staff, the chef in the restaurant for breakfast. Where he gets such fresh fruit each and every day for breakfast is beyond me. It is all greatly appreciated. Lisa, a waitress in the restaurant for breakfast. Ernie in the engineering dept and Kim in security. Each and every one of them has taken the art of customer service to a whole new level that is really only seen in the very, very top hotels, such as The Pierre in NYC in and in top hotels in Europe. Customer service, in general is a dying art, it seems, but not by this group at this hotel.

If the housekeeping dept. had some of the groups professionalism this hotel would easily be a five star without equal in Central Illinois. As it is with the very shoddy housekeeping I experienced twice, in my opinion, I would have easily ranked it two stars. However, the group, I mentioned above have easily stopped the hotel being rated, 2 stars.

Now for the bad news, one night over Labor Day weekend, I returned to my room around midnight and found that it had not been cleaned. I called to the front desk and they sent security up to check the situation out. Also, at that time, there were some housekeepers cleaning empty rooms, with the radio blaring. But they could not clean the rooms of paying guests. Not good but still I chalked it up, however difficult, to, possibly, the hotel being open such a very short time.

I recently had another stay there and one day I got back to the room around 7PM and ,again, the room had not been cleaned. I was not happy. I reported it to the front desk and to their credit they did not try to make excuses. They immediately gave me a small credit and a coupon for breakfast. That certainly helped but a clean room would help more.

However, I have to say I wasnt that surprised the room wasnt cleaned as that morning there were employees walking around my floor as I waited for the elevator. They just seemed lost, bewildered and totally without supervision. I also noticed that some of them had different uniforms which makes me think what I later heard might be true. The story I heard is that, perhaps, some of the housekeeping is from a staffing agency and the hotel is trying to get rid of them. If that is true, I second the motion!!!! It was all very, very, very unprofessional and no where near the standards of Marriott.Clearly something is not right with this picture.

Amazingly, the poor housekeeping does not stop there. During my recent stay, I used the business center a few times. On the first day I noticed the waste basket in the business center was quite full. On my last day there the waste basket was overflowing onto the floor. Finally, I told the front desk about the problem. They immediately sent someone up to empty the trash which was finally cleaned up.Still it is incredible that no one from housekeeping noticed that problem for a few days. Unbelievable!

After my first stay the hotel was easily a 5 star rating. Now after the repeated housekeeping lapses but still with the group of fabulous dedicated employees it now is ranked 3 stars. I look at the glass as being half full instead of half empty. That is to say that instead of the hotel being in a decline I see it all as a work in progress. I think much, much more progress can be achieved by immediately getting rid of the agency that supplies the housekeeping dept. if in fact that is the case. However, I feel sure that s the source of the decline in housekeeping standards. If immediate attention is paid to this problem the hotel will be back to humming and strumming with 5 stars and without equal in a very large part of Illinois and the Midwest.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Long Island NY
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The good news:

1. Nice room.
2. Hotel restaurant has good food.
3. A block from the civic center
4. Free valet parking

The bad news:

1. Why do hotels continue to charge for Internet access ($10 a day).
2. I like to have more than 1/16 of a roll of toilet paper when I check into a hotel room.
3. A mini fridge cabinet without a mini fridge inside of it is a disappointment
4. When the waitress brings the chicken that was supposed to go with a salad when I'm already done eating, she should not charge me $6 for it. (Especially since, when I brought it up to my room and wanted to put it into the mini fridge, all I got was an empty cabinet).
5. There is NOTHING in the immediate area. No retail of any kind. Not a CVS, not a Dunkin' Donuts, not anything. It's a ghost town.
6. If you check your bags until a room is ready, realize that once the desk clerk opens the room with all the bags in it, you can basically take anything you'd like. No receipts, no tags on bags, just a mess of bags all over the place you can hunt through until you find your own or someone's you like better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Mark Twain Hotel
Mark Twain Hotel
#6 of 23 in Peoria
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
Courtyard Peoria Downtown
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center
Wingate by Wyndham Peoria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria

Been to Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette? Share your experiences!