“Pizza Lovers ..”

Ranked #5 of 406 Restaurants in Peoria
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Some thing to try with pizza for a change with fire house cooking ..crispy and taste is good ..definitely a nice experience

There are newer reviews for Sugar

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stopped by Sugar for a quick meal before the ball game. Parking can be an issue, but that can be an issue anywhere downtown before an event, so plan accordingly. Ordered the four meat pizza and my husband ordered the Mac and Cheese. The pizza was great and the Mac and Cheese was tasty. We felt though the Mac and Cheese was a rather small portion for the price. Don't order it as an entree if you are hungry! We both thought the service and atmosphere was pleasant. We will go again and look forward to trying other items on the menu.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had the Roasted Vegetable Salad ($10.75) and a Pepperoni Pizza ($10.75) as our main courses. The pizza had a nice-tasting crust and plenty of cheese. Initial reaction was that it was smaller than expected, but it was plenty for lunch. The salad was excellent: tasty, large and filling. Especially liked the dressing. For dessert we had the Chocolate Chip Cookie sandwich ($3.50). We had ordered it when we arrived and remembered it as we went out. We had thought that they had forgotten to give it to us, but she said we were supposed to ask for it when we were ready for it. They should have told us that when we ordered it! Servers don't take care of tables so you have to wave someone down if you need anything. We sat inside so outside might be different. Anyway, the cookie sandwich -- frosting between 2 cookies -- was not good. It was stored really cold so the frosting was hard and hard to eat. We took it home and it was better when it thawed out, but still not much flavor. Don't waste the calories on it.

We'd order everything again except the cookie sandwich. I'd have rated this restaurant Excellent if I hadn't tasted the cookie sandwich. Total cost for lunch was $40 plus tip.

Note that there isn't much parking behind the building and there is a big drop off the front of the parking. We had to go back and forth quite a few times in order to get our large vehicle out. It would be easier with a regular-size car, but I'd still be worried about getting my car dinged by someone's door. I personally wouldn't want to park back there when it's dark due to the tight lot but also because it's historically not been a great area. Next time we will probably park on the street.

The city is redoing the street, sidewalk and lighting on that part of SW Adams St. It should look nice when it's done. There is outdoor seating.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

First time we've been here. We had a party of 7 and everyone loved their meals. I had the BBQ Chicken pizza and it was probably one of the best pizzas I've had! I also got the cherry cheesecake in a mason jar to go. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd get that again. There were a few pretty big chunks of cream cheese in it and it wasn't anything special really. But it isn't a deal breaker, the pizza was amazing. Others in my party got Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Hawaiian Pizza, Smokey Pork Chipotle Pizza, Mediterranean Chicken Salad Sandwich, and the Pesto Chicken Entree. Everyone absolutely loved their meals and said they would for sure come back. We also thought everything was a great value for what you get. We also all loved the decor, it's a great atmosphere! Definitely recommend giving it a go!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

You have to keep in mind what it is, it's a wood fired pizza place!! Don't go expecting a gourmet selection of sandwiches and entrees.

But if you go looking for great wood fired pizza you will be pleasantly surprised by the salads, apps, sandwiches and desserts. The nice little selection of craft beers doesn't hurt either!

The stuffed artisanal bread is not to be missed!

Been to Sugar? Share your experiences!