“There's no place better!”
Review of Mark Twain Hotel

Mark Twain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Oneida, Illinois
“There's no place better!”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I have stayed at hotels all around the country and the Mark Twain Hotel is STILL my favorite. The staff is remarkable, the rooms are spacious and spotless, and the morning breakfast crew, specifically Joe, are grand!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Some rooms are updated some are not. I would definitely ask for an updated one bc the older ones smell really bad. All of the rooms have wall AC units which are really noisy and prevented me from being able to sleep before a really important meeting. I mentioned this to the front desk and all I was told is that they would let maintenance know. Not a single other suggestion like refunding some money or anything of the sort. I was really hoping that this would be the place I stayed for work but I will have to take my loyalties to Embassy Suites instead.

• Stayed May 2011
BoutiqueHotelier, General Manager at Mark Twain Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear Guest:
I apologize for the fact that you weren't satisfied with your stay - your experience was atypical. There are some things that we cannot change - such as the fact that all of our heating/cooling units are exactly the same in each room. They are typical industrial units which are used in hotels all over the world and we've done our best to locate the quietest units possible. We really don't get complaint about them, however, I am sorry you didn't sleep well. We would have liked to give you the option to try another room, maybe the sound would have been different and would have allowed you to rest better.Some guests are lighter sleepers than others, and we would want to try options to help you become better satisfied with your stay.

There are other things which we can change. We have three different room types, each with a different rates based on how newly renovated they are. You mentioned that prospective guests should ask for an updated room "bc the older ones smell really bad." That is not a comment that we've received, so we would have loved to know if perhaps your room or any others you visited didn't smell fresh before you checked out so we could have investigated.

I would love for you to try our property again and would also like to have your comments as far as which of the rooms you have been in that didn't smell good so we can investigate. Feel free to contact me should you like to take up an offer of a special rate for your next stay to try us again, or if you'd like to submit further comments on your stay.

Regards and safe travels,

Naomi Shea
309-676-3600
Housatonic, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Beautifully decorated, had wonderful air fresheners going that made the place always smell like fresh baked cookies! Had a wonderful library with big comfy leather chairs. The staff was delightful & pleasant, room was always spotlessly clean after room service was done with it. Complimentary morning breakfast was GREAT! Made to order omlettes & eggs as well as waffles!! Splendid views of the riverfront area, easy to get to from Interstate 74, as well as easy access to all downtown Peoria has to offer. I have traveled to many places & stayed in many hotels & this place rocks!! We will be staying here next time we are back in Peoria. The staff at the Mark Twain are top notch & know what customer service is all about ! Thanks for the great stay guys!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I can't say enough about how wonderful the Mark Twain Hotel was. The rooms are gorgeous down to every detail and the staff is super helpful.. The food was delicious and the continental breakfast with made to order omelets and waffles was worth waking up for! I would recommend this hotel to everyone and anyone. Great stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Good customer service from the front desk to maid service. Plenty of hot water, nice Bath & Body works soaps, & great air-conditioning.

Breakfast was a step above with made to order omelets & waffles. Staff friendly here too. Two 22 hotel restaurant has wonderful steaks, but it's expensive.

It's an Older hotel with renovations that need polishing finishes. Things like little holes in plaster need filling, desk light sagged down, seating is worn, mattress is like a brick, holes in top sheet, & toilet rocked a bit. Room was on the 4th floor.

Clean & quiet, close to down town & civic center.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms may have better renovations.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
BoutiqueHotelier, General Manager at Mark Twain Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Hi there! We'd like to thank you for checking us out. Your comment card was received at the hotel as well and we appreciate the feedback on the card as well as here on Tripadvisor.

As a smaller, locally owned, independent property, we're constantly changing to suit the needs of our guests and we use the comment cards to help steer us in the right direction.

We'd love to be able to share some of these changes to the rooms with you. Please contact me if you're going to be staying in Peoria again. We'd like to give you the opportunity to try us out again and see some of the changes we will be making to the basic Century rooms that you stayed in, and also show off our new cozy Studio rooms (which feature artwork from a Chicago artist) and the Deluxe rooms which are larger and on the top two floors of the hotel.

Best wishes from the Twain!
--------
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Having family in Peoria, I come back several times a year. Since about 2006, I have stayed at the Mark Twain Hotel over others in Peoria for three main reasons:
1. The atmosphere: This boutique hotel has some unique and tasteful arrangements. The Library has some fine reading, as well as complimentary Starbucks. All of the staff is friendly and seem like they are genuinely cheerful about working there.
2. The rooms: I was blown away the first time I was able to borrow a DVD and play it on the surround sound dvd system! The bathrooms are not too small and equipped with a heated lamp, blowdryer, a jar of q-tips, and Bath & Body toiletries. My wife enjoys the lighted vanity area. Bed is very cozy with higher end quality bedding.
3. Breakfast: This is the best FREE breakfast offered by a hotel that I have ever experienced, even outside of Peoria. There is a waffle/omelet station and many continental offerings. Even oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, and more. I have no problem tipping the cooks because they hustle to keep wait to a minimum.

Other details to note are the complimentary shuttle to the local restaurants and night spots, the restaurant's steaks, and the small pets welcome policy. I must also mention that I have been there when there were whole wedding party guests and high school sports tournament visitors and have never had a problem with noise or disturbance.

Oh...and the his/her robes!

One negative...the free internet went out for like 15 minutes during one stay.

Room Tip: Sunrises are awesome if you have a Riverfront View
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We just got back from a two day stay at this hotel because our buddy was getting married in Peoria. The lobby was nice and their was a computer for guests to use. The place smelled wonderful because of the connected restaurant. This is the place where they serve free breakfast and free drinks at night. Both were very good. We also ordered bruschetta and crab artichoke dip. Those were also very good. The room itself was nice with a big new tv. The beds were firm. The bathroom was decent though the toilet flusher was loose. The shower had decent pressure. The hotel was close enough to bars and restaurants downtown and by the river to walk to. Overall, it was a good value for the money with the breakfast and drinks.

• Stayed June 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria
Wingate by Wyndham Peoria
Country Inn & Suites Peoria North
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!