“Unique Hotel with Lovely Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mark Twain Hotel

Mark Twain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
USA
“Unique Hotel with Lovely Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

We were visiting Peoria for only one night, and decided to reserve a room at the Mark Twain based on TA reviews. We are glad we did!

LOBBY/CHECK-IN: The lobby is lovely, with a library, a Starbuck’s coffee/cocoa machine, and ATM. Check-in was a breeze with courteous staff. Check-in is 3pm, but our room was ready when we arrived at 2:30pm. We were given 4 complimentary drink tickets for the bar, and were advised of complimentary passes to a large, local gym (which we didn’t need for one night) as there is no pool at the hotel.

PARKING: No fee parking on a flat lot behind the hotel. There is a card-key back entrance to the hotel from this lot.

BAR/RESTAURANT: Although the bar doesn’t open until 4pm (Friday), our fabulous bartender, Shane, made us a drink anyway while he was setting up. Nice guy!

The dinner menu looked great as well, but we already had plans to go elsewhere that night.

We had the included breakfast the next morning in the restaurant: omelet/egg station, cooked to order waffles (including pumpkin!) and dishes of potato tots, bacon/sausage and French toast sticks. Coffee, apple & orange juices, some fruit and also 2 cold cereals are available. The staff even brought the food to our table, so we didn’t wait in line after ordering. Tipping was greatly appreciated.

ROOM: (see photos) Our room was a modern, renovated King Suite on the 3rd floor with a view of the bridge/river. No traffic noise with the heat unit on. The King bed was firm but comfortable. Room included a corner desk, ample drawer space, small hanging closet complete with terry robes, small coffee maker, fridge & freezer, and the full length mirror opens to a pull down ironing board & iron. Flat screen TV mounted to wall with a DVD player (DVDs available in lobby) also mounted to wall. Very efficient use of space in this small room! BATH: Shower only with rain head, glass vessel pedestal sink, small towel cart, with container of cotton balls & Q-tips; wall-mounted hair dryer, and mounted telescopic make-up mirror. Toiletries are Bath & Body Works. Room was very clean!

SHUTTLE SERVICE: Complimentary shuttle service to/from airport is available. When we asked the front desk person to call us a cab so we could go to our restaurant (5 miles away) they would, but instead offered their shuttle service to take us since the driver was available, saving us the cab fare! (The driver was very courteous, and grateful for the tip.)

Overall, this is a lovely hotel, and an incredible value! The staff was professional, courteous, and willingly helpful. We greatly enjoyed our stay, and will return to the Mark Twain next time we are in Peoria.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hollyhayden69
Naomi S, General Manager at Mark Twain Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with our property and we're happy you enjoyed your Studio room on the third floor. This is the type of response we aim to earn from each of our guests and I am happy to hear we are delivering! Thanks again for supporting our locally owned, independent property and feel free to share any further comments with me directly regarding your stay.

309-636-6170
info at marktwainhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Milton, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

From the exterior the Mark Twain looks tired old and in need of a facelift. On the inside it is a very nice and trendy hotel. The restaurant had excellent food. My room was very spacious with a comfortable King Bed, with reading lights. Door to the bathroom was solid oak on rollers (very trendy) I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel and had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank goliathtn
Hello goliathtn,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property. I think we are a great example of that saying, "looks can be deceiving", don't you think? It's kind of like odd wrapping paper on a totally awesome gift. We are happy to say that we've been surprising people for 21 years now as the Mark Twain Hotel and we appreciate that you've chosen to support our independent, locally owned property.

Happy Travels!

info at -------------
309-636-6170
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I'm originally from Peoria. When I'm not staying with family I will stay at Mark Twain. Clean, friendly staff, great decoration, good sized rooms, complimentary drinks at the hotel bar, close to downtown and fabulous free breakfast (waffle and omelet stations manned by cooks). Reasonable price. Always enjoy my stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beni_the_girl
Beni -

Thanks for the lovely review on our property! I'm very happy to hear that we are your hotel of choice when you visit family. Next time you visit, come say hello in the management office, would love to meet you. And if you will be visiting family around Christmas, be sure to contact us as we have great specials for the week of Christmas.

Regards,

info at marktwainhotel.com
Cascade, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night in July for our first wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful stay. The room was nice, with plenty of room and very clean. The omelet and waffle bar in the morning at breakfast was awesome. This is a great plac to have a little getaway.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank JAP_20
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I concur with the other recent reviewers. This is a top notch hotel. I stayed here 2 nights, in conjunction with the 2 day/1 night Spirit of Peoria excursion, which I also highly recommend. staff is friendly and professional. excellent attached restaurant. 'Neat' is the word I will use to describe the rooms. A few days before my trip, I changed my hotel - based on trip advisor reviews - to this one, and was delighted that I did so. If your travels take you to Peoria, stay here!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank w0rld
Hi there! Thank you for your recent review. We love it when people stay with us and also enjoy a trip on the Spirit of Peoria paddle boat. The Mark Twain Hotel is independent and locally owned. The Spirit of Peoria is in our "family" as well. We appreciate that you visited Peoria and supported local businesses!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

The Mark Twain was a great inexpensive contemporary place to stay. I was impressed by the attentive staff, and up to date rooms. I've stayed in several Hotels in or near the Peoria area, this by far was the best.

From the second I arrived I was impressed by the lobby area. This continued as I checked into the modern and updated room. Entering the room I instantly felt that it held up to pretty high standards of my usual downtown Chicago locations.

The time I spent in the bar area was excellent because of the friendly attentive bar staff. I liked the central location downtown.At top of that the breakfast buffet in the morning was an added bonus.

I will definitely stay at the Mark Twain again. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Peoria area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank George L
Hebron, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stayed at the Mark Twain hotel in September, on a business trip. The hotel is a quaint boutique in the heart of downtown. Very conveniently located, with a lovely library in the lobby. The rooms are a bit dated and could use an update. But they are very clean and functional. The staff was friendly and very helpful. A breakfast buffet is included in the very reasonable price, and we were given drink tickets that could be redeemed in the bar.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Neptune1117
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria
Wingate by Wyndham Peoria
Country Inn & Suites Peoria North
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!