“Great Place for you and your pet” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Twain Hotel

Mark Twain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Gurnee
“Great Place for you and your pet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Excellent hotel reasonable price and right in downtown Peoria plenty to do. Received 2 free drink cards at check in that lead to an excellent dinner at the bar. Just had pizza and it was good, then used the free shuttle the go to the 5th Quarter and then the Casino. Will defiantly return every member of the staff was friendly and breakfast on Sunday morning was needed after a long night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Very pleased with our stay here. Hotel has been updated and rooms are very clean and comfortable. Staff make a real effort at assisting any need. Breakfast is a nice touch with made to order omlettes and waffles included in the room price.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Awesome hotel, great breakfast, unique boutique style rooms, loved the exposed brick...but agree with other reviewers who say the heating/ac unit is VERY LOUD...and the bed is ROCK HARD.

The staff, however, is awesome...and gave me 3 feather mattress pads to soften my bed (sadly it was still hard...they said the mattresses are all the same and were made locally).

The complimentary breakfast almost makes up for it, but not quite. I won't be able to stay there again due to the lack of sleep on the very hard bed...

Would love to stay again if they got some sort of gel/foam toppers for the beds!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Naomi S, General Manager at Mark Twain Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Hi there SwissMiss1975,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I'm sorry that you felt the heating units in the room were too loud and the beds were too hard for your liking. Since our building is older and our rooms do not have the luxury of central heating and cooling, we've done our best to find the quietest room units for our application. We are proud to say that our mattresses are made by a local, family-owned business. Some people love them and some feel they are too firm - it's a very personal preference. We've decided to be proactive and have been in the process of placing memory foam on each bed, one floor at a time. Until these are in every room, you can request the padding. This way, it can easily be removed for those who prefer fimer, and would satisfy those who prefer softer.

Thanks trying out the hotel and when you are in town next, be sure to let us know your mattress preference. We are here to serve you.

Regards,

Naomi
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

If you are going to Peoria for a business trip at Caterpillar HQ or stopping by the Cat visitor center that opened in 2013, then the Mark Twain is in the perfect location for you. It is just across the street from Caterpillar HQ and right around the block from the visitor's center, you can easily walk to both in just a few minutes.

I arrived early in the morning and had no problems with an early (about 9:30am) check in.

The hotel restaurant & bar (Two 25) does good pizzas and offers free drink vouchers for all its hotel guests. These can be exchanged for 1-2 drinks each evening at the bar. Also, the breakfast in the mornings was quite delicious, especially the made to order omelette's.

When I go back to Peoria for work I will likely stay at the Mark Twain again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

After a long day driving, I reached Peoria and the fact that there's free parking behind the hotel was a good plus. I stayed in one of their "boutique style brick walled" rooms ... which looks nice enough, but I'd have rather they'd spent the decorating money on a layer of insulation on the exterior walls. The free drinks vouchers only ended up buying me a single drink when I got down to the bar, but hey, maybe there's some small print that says a pint of local beer counts for two tokens. Bed was firm and I slept like a log.

Breakfast in the morning was not worth the money I didn't really pay for it anyway. Buffet service in the bar from the night before from disinterested staff who asked if I'd like them to make me some fresh waffles or pancakes ... then failed to bring anything over to my table while I sat there for half an hour with a coffee.

Thankfully, the complimentary fresh cookies on reception when I checked out were just enough to stave off my hunger on the walk round the corner to visit the Caterpillar museum for a little guilty pleasure before hopping back in the car and setting off.

Oh yes, only one lift (sorry elevator) worked when I was there and its motions could be timed with a calendar.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our stay at the Mark Twain was very nice. The room was spotlessly clean and very pleasantly decorated. The bathroom was as well. Our room rate included two free drink coupons per person and free breakfast the next morning. Staff were all pleasant and very accomodating. We loved the fact that the drink vending on the floors took credit cards. It probably sounds silly,but little things like this make the difference in a stay.
I had seen in other reviews that the rooms were small, but they were just fine. I stayed their with my 17 year old son and we had plenty of room without feeling cramped.
We had dinner and breakfast in their restaurant and both meals were excellent.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely stay there again.
I would have given this an excellent, but the only issue is the fact that there is nowhere to place your own things in the bathroom. Perhaps next time they will have a small table in the bathroom to accomodate your own toiletries?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Logan, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My stay at the Mark Twain hotel was excellent. Alex and all of the other staff were extremely accommodating. They were so willing to help us find places to visit. The location was ideal. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. If I ever go back to Peoria I will for sure be staying at this hotel. Thanks for making our trip memorable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business