Mark Twain Hotel
US$125
US$116
US$130
Country Inn
Quality Inn & Suites Peoria(Peoria)(Great Value!)
US$81
QualityInn
US$150
US$116
US$104
US$101
US$163
US$151
All reviewsboutique hotelomeletfree drinksdrink ticketswafflesillinois riverview of the riverpedestal sinkdowntown peoriaon site restaurantironing boardin townbreakfast was includedfree shuttlethe shuttle driverwould definitely stay here againsausage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2008

The staff was wonderful!! We stayed on July 4th, the view of the fireworks from the room was just awesome! And that's where it ended....we first had a deluxe room which was smelly, beat up, plaster was moldy and flaking off in areas......So I went down and "down graded" to a studio which was much smaller but didn't smell and was in pretty good shape. I have to say the bathroom was very nice...which you need the hot pounding shower after sleeping on the rock hard beds. My husband and I normally like firm beds but this was like tent camping on a sleeping bag kind of hard. It took about 2 hours to fall asleep and we kept waking up throughout the night.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 27 June 2008

It's conveniently located in downtown Peoria, within walking distance to the riverfront, downtown square, dining. It is clean and well-appointed. They give you a cookie. There is a Pizzeria Uno in there.

I had a couple of problems here: the breakfast scrambled eggs were very bad. I think they were powdered eggs. They tasted really bad, mealy textured and flavorless, and not even hot. I wonder if the managers have ever tried to eat the eggs?

Also, I came back to my room and found the door open. The cleaning staff probably left the latch in the door and forgot to put it back when they were done. Good thing I didn't have any valuables in there. I reported it to the manager on duty but didn't get any response.

I think the place is kept going with business from the corporate headquarters of the major company that is a block away.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2007

After reading the many negative reviews about this hotel, I was a little bit nervous about staying there. We went to Peoria for a business meeting and didn't have a choice about where to stay. The room was nicely appointed with a large leather chair and built in desk. The bathroom was clean and well stocked. The hotel has been renovated so everything looks new and clean except they forgot to do the elevators which are dark and beat up. No, it's not perfect but it's not as bad as other reviewers have written. I did not experience rudeness from the staff. They were polite and professional. We did not experience any smell in the rooms or the hallways. They picked us up at the airport in a timely fashion and drove us back to the airport right on time. I would stay there again...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank jpeghiny
Reviewed 10 July 2007

The Mark Twain Hotel evidently has great marketing people..."Peoria's Premier Boutique Hotel. Its metamorphosis has produced an attitude and atmosphere which consistently surprises and delights guests seeking an oasis in Downtown Peoria, Illinois." Boy, do I feel duped! I flew into Peoria and made a last minute reservation after finding out I wouldn't be able to stay with relatives in Bloomington. I thought it would be a nice hotel stay. But I ended up paying $132 for a room in an aging hotel with lots of dings. I started to take a hot bath and found plaster in my tub...which had fallen down from an obvious large moldy leak in the ceiling. I'm not knocking a hotel with problems...but before my check-in, couldn't someone have checked a room with known leakage problems??!? I reported this on the nice card requesting my feedback and left my phone number - have not heard from them at all. I wish I'd stayed at a motel out on the highway. Where I live, I could have gotten a luxury room for this rate. Instead, I was in the middle of a dilapidated city in a broken-down hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelPlanner_7
Reviewed 4 June 2007

I stayed here for a few days on business. Because I kept coming and going from Peoria, I had the chance to compare The Mark Twain to the two other big hotels in the city center, and it was definitely my favorite, as well as that of my colleagues. The rooms weren't huge, but they were clean, comfortable, and had charm. The parking lot out back can get crowded, but it was convenient (easy in and out), as was the hotel's location - easily the best place to stay if you're working out of the government buildings. Room service from Uno's downstairs can't be beat, and the complimentary breakfasts were streets ahead of what the other two hotels offered. Don't know if I'll have reason to stay here again, but I definitely would.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business