“Awsome Hotel Experience!”
Review of Mark Twain Hotel

Mark Twain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This hotel was one of the best I've ever visited. I've had much lesser experiences at hotels costing twice the money. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean, bright and super high quality everything. Free drinks at the bar and free hot breakfast made to order. Close and convenient to downtown and the riverfront. I can't say enough about how cool this hotel is.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mark Twain Hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding and had a great experience. We checked in late and decided to stop in to the restaurant, Two25, for a drink. The flair bartender, Josh, was awesome-- he made my wife the "best cosmo she's ever had" and I enjoyed a wine flight off of their extensive wine menu. The room itself was great-- a tad on the small size, but not classic boutique size that most people think. The room had a queen size bed, luxury sheets, a leather chair, and a trendy corner desk. The entertainment setup was great-- big flat panel TV, surround sound (yes, surround sound!) built in and DVD player! The bathroom was my favorite-- very modern-- glass bowl sink and hands-down the BEST shower I've ever taken-- it's a walk-in tiled shower with glass door with the largest shower head I've ever seen-- it felt like standing under a rainstorm-- just great.

We didn't try the free hot breakfast as we slept in too late, but our stay was just perfect!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Not very impressive, especially considering some competition in the same price range. Unfortunately, "boutique" means "really small room." I put up with a small room in Rome. . . but Peoria isn't Rome. I stayed on the river/interstate side and wow, was it noisy. Felt like I was attempting to sleep in the middle of the interstate. The "view" didn't make up for the noise that I think more expensive windows would solve. Over-priced for what you get. Breakfast and the ladies cooking it were nice, though.

Just re-read my posting and I sound whiney, so trying to think of something positive to say . . . it was clean, and the people were nice. But for $150 after tax, you should get more than that.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2008

The staff was wonderful!! We stayed on July 4th, the view of the fireworks from the room was just awesome! And that's where it ended....we first had a deluxe room which was smelly, beat up, plaster was moldy and flaking off in areas......So I went down and "down graded" to a studio which was much smaller but didn't smell and was in pretty good shape. I have to say the bathroom was very nice...which you need the hot pounding shower after sleeping on the rock hard beds. My husband and I normally like firm beds but this was like tent camping on a sleeping bag kind of hard. It took about 2 hours to fall asleep and we kept waking up throughout the night.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 27 June 2008

It's conveniently located in downtown Peoria, within walking distance to the riverfront, downtown square, dining. It is clean and well-appointed. They give you a cookie. There is a Pizzeria Uno in there.

I had a couple of problems here: the breakfast scrambled eggs were very bad. I think they were powdered eggs. They tasted really bad, mealy textured and flavorless, and not even hot. I wonder if the managers have ever tried to eat the eggs?

Also, I came back to my room and found the door open. The cleaning staff probably left the latch in the door and forgot to put it back when they were done. Good thing I didn't have any valuables in there. I reported it to the manager on duty but didn't get any response.

I think the place is kept going with business from the corporate headquarters of the major company that is a block away.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2007

After reading the many negative reviews about this hotel, I was a little bit nervous about staying there. We went to Peoria for a business meeting and didn't have a choice about where to stay. The room was nicely appointed with a large leather chair and built in desk. The bathroom was clean and well stocked. The hotel has been renovated so everything looks new and clean except they forgot to do the elevators which are dark and beat up. No, it's not perfect but it's not as bad as other reviewers have written. I did not experience rudeness from the staff. They were polite and professional. We did not experience any smell in the rooms or the hallways. They picked us up at the airport in a timely fashion and drove us back to the airport right on time. I would stay there again...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank jpeghiny
Reviewed 10 July 2007

The Mark Twain Hotel evidently has great marketing people..."Peoria's Premier Boutique Hotel. Its metamorphosis has produced an attitude and atmosphere which consistently surprises and delights guests seeking an oasis in Downtown Peoria, Illinois." Boy, do I feel duped! I flew into Peoria and made a last minute reservation after finding out I wouldn't be able to stay with relatives in Bloomington. I thought it would be a nice hotel stay. But I ended up paying $132 for a room in an aging hotel with lots of dings. I started to take a hot bath and found plaster in my tub...which had fallen down from an obvious large moldy leak in the ceiling. I'm not knocking a hotel with problems...but before my check-in, couldn't someone have checked a room with known leakage problems??!? I reported this on the nice card requesting my feedback and left my phone number - have not heard from them at all. I wish I'd stayed at a motel out on the highway. Where I live, I could have gotten a luxury room for this rate. Instead, I was in the middle of a dilapidated city in a broken-down hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelPlanner_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center
Country Inn & Suites Peoria North
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#16 of 23 in Peoria
Quality Inn & Suites Peoria

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!