“Pleasant boutique hotel”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Pleasant boutique hotel”
Reviewed 10 October 2009

My only other hotel experience in Peoria was the deteriorating and much-reviled Holiday Inn just down the street. The Mark Twain, which is about the same price as the Holiday Inn, is VASTLY better. It's clean, beautifully decorated, and the staff is very pleasant and friendly. The amenities are a bit limited (particularly room service, which is somewhat grudgingly provided by the adjoining restaurant), which makes this hotel less suitable for vacation travelers looking for a luxury getaway, but if you're in Peoria on business or attending a family event, you probably won't care. As other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are extremely small, but they are pleasant and comfortable. The Mark Twain will definitely be my first choice on future trips to Peoria.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My boyfriend and I were planning to stay with our dog in Peoria after a baseball game and doing some bar-hopping and the Mark Twain was perfect. It was during the summer, so we were able to score a deal with water park, 2 free drinks for each of us at the bar, and free breakfast for under $120. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly - and there was a complimentery shuttle to the game (they offered to pick us up too). The drinks are house wine, well drinks, and a couple of draft beers, but hey! they were free! The breakfast was also pretty standard, but there were omelets and waffles made to order, which was nice. The room was cute, the carpet was slightly dingy, but we had a view of the river and the bathroom products were Bath and Body Works. We also brought our dog, which wasn't a problem at all! She was able to stay in the room while we went out. Overall, I think it's a great deal - and the best location for going out in downtown Peoria.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Staff knowledge is lacking, the rooms need a really good cleaning and the property feels rundown (with the exception of the lobby).

We stayed in one of their deluxe rooms--a corner unit that was very, very small. I inquired at the front desk if there were bigger rooms and the staff member indicated that the deluxe rooms were indeed the biggest. Even after I pressed her about the size of the corner unit, she indicated that there was no difference in size. On the second night of our stay we visited friends in another deluxe room--it was nearly twice the size.

I wanted to take a toothbrush and clean the caked on dirt off the bathroom vanity--the place is just not cleaned properly. Thankfully, we weren't in the room much, but it was a disappointing experience. The good news is that the lighting is so dim that you probably miss some of the dirt--a blessing.

What made it more disappointing is that upon checkout, I shared our concerns with the attendant at the front desk--she could have cared less.

I can't recommend this property. We had friends on the same trip who stayed at the Staybridge Suites and the Embassy Suites in East Peoria--they said both of these properties were great.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This hotel was one of the best I've ever visited. I've had much lesser experiences at hotels costing twice the money. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean, bright and super high quality everything. Free drinks at the bar and free hot breakfast made to order. Close and convenient to downtown and the riverfront. I can't say enough about how cool this hotel is.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Illinois
Reviewed 2 June 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding and had a great experience. We checked in late and decided to stop in to the restaurant, Two25, for a drink. The flair bartender, Josh, was awesome-- he made my wife the "best cosmo she's ever had" and I enjoyed a wine flight off of their extensive wine menu. The room itself was great-- a tad on the small size, but not classic boutique size that most people think. The room had a queen size bed, luxury sheets, a leather chair, and a trendy corner desk. The entertainment setup was great-- big flat panel TV, surround sound (yes, surround sound!) built in and DVD player! The bathroom was my favorite-- very modern-- glass bowl sink and hands-down the BEST shower I've ever taken-- it's a walk-in tiled shower with glass door with the largest shower head I've ever seen-- it felt like standing under a rainstorm-- just great.

We didn't try the free hot breakfast as we slept in too late, but our stay was just perfect!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Not very impressive, especially considering some competition in the same price range. Unfortunately, "boutique" means "really small room." I put up with a small room in Rome. . . but Peoria isn't Rome. I stayed on the river/interstate side and wow, was it noisy. Felt like I was attempting to sleep in the middle of the interstate. The "view" didn't make up for the noise that I think more expensive windows would solve. Over-priced for what you get. Breakfast and the ladies cooking it were nice, though.

Just re-read my posting and I sound whiney, so trying to think of something positive to say . . . it was clean, and the people were nice. But for $150 after tax, you should get more than that.

• Liked — breakfast omelette and coffee
  • Disliked — interstate noise, small room, over-priced (and I wasn't even paying)
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
Reviewed 4 December 2008

The staff was wonderful!! We stayed on July 4th, the view of the fireworks from the room was just awesome! And that's where it ended....we first had a deluxe room which was smelly, beat up, plaster was moldy and flaking off in areas......So I went down and "down graded" to a studio which was much smaller but didn't smell and was in pretty good shape. I have to say the bathroom was very nice...which you need the hot pounding shower after sleeping on the rock hard beds. My husband and I normally like firm beds but this was like tent camping on a sleeping bag kind of hard. It took about 2 hours to fall asleep and we kept waking up throughout the night.

• Liked — The English shuttle driver
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria
Wingate by Wyndham Peoria
Country Inn & Suites Peoria North
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!