“Peoria's gem”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Denver, Colorado
“Peoria's gem”
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Very nice hotel from the lobby on up. Lobby is an old fashioned library--very plush. With a coffee/hot chocolate machine. Staff are nice and helpful. Room was nice and spacious and the bed comfy. Had DVD player and good sound system. Also had a whole catalog of movies to borrow from them. Room had the quietest fridge ever and the best use of space for their ironing board. Restaurant on site is very good. Dinner is not included but breakfast is and the chefs make anything just the way you like. Excellent waffles. FD also gives you two free drink coupons per night of stay.
Lodging there gets you admission to the Riverplex which is a great gym offering everything you need. Hotel uses Bath and Bodyworks products. John the concierge was very helpful and can help you plan anything you need. Hertz onsite. Everything in Peoria is just a few mins drive away and quite a few things walkable.

My only problem with hotel staff is that upon checkin they didn't tell me about the Riverplex and I found out later. Only reason I did not give this hotel full marks is for the noise outside. My view of the river was very nice but there is a lot of traffic. Usually it really bothers my sleep but it did not this time. I am going back there!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Cary, IL
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We booked this hotel as part of a trip through Illinois. What a great find. The hotel has been newly remodeled and the rooms were clean and bright. A little on the small side but we were just there for the night. The room rate came with 2 free drinks per person which we enjoyed at the bar before our dinner at the hotel restaurant Two25 I would have to say that our dinner there was one of the best we've had in a long time. Our room rate also included a free made to order breakfast the next morning. We each had an omelet and it was a fantastic way to start the day. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 3 November 2009

The staff was very friendly, helpful and resourceful. The renovated rooms are not huge, but furnished nicely. The daily drink tickets, free breakfast, and free shuttle are a great bonus. I'd definitely come back again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 10 October 2009

My only other hotel experience in Peoria was the deteriorating and much-reviled Holiday Inn just down the street. The Mark Twain, which is about the same price as the Holiday Inn, is VASTLY better. It's clean, beautifully decorated, and the staff is very pleasant and friendly. The amenities are a bit limited (particularly room service, which is somewhat grudgingly provided by the adjoining restaurant), which makes this hotel less suitable for vacation travelers looking for a luxury getaway, but if you're in Peoria on business or attending a family event, you probably won't care. As other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are extremely small, but they are pleasant and comfortable. The Mark Twain will definitely be my first choice on future trips to Peoria.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My boyfriend and I were planning to stay with our dog in Peoria after a baseball game and doing some bar-hopping and the Mark Twain was perfect. It was during the summer, so we were able to score a deal with water park, 2 free drinks for each of us at the bar, and free breakfast for under $120. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly - and there was a complimentery shuttle to the game (they offered to pick us up too). The drinks are house wine, well drinks, and a couple of draft beers, but hey! they were free! The breakfast was also pretty standard, but there were omelets and waffles made to order, which was nice. The room was cute, the carpet was slightly dingy, but we had a view of the river and the bathroom products were Bath and Body Works. We also brought our dog, which wasn't a problem at all! She was able to stay in the room while we went out. Overall, I think it's a great deal - and the best location for going out in downtown Peoria.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Staff knowledge is lacking, the rooms need a really good cleaning and the property feels rundown (with the exception of the lobby).

We stayed in one of their deluxe rooms--a corner unit that was very, very small. I inquired at the front desk if there were bigger rooms and the staff member indicated that the deluxe rooms were indeed the biggest. Even after I pressed her about the size of the corner unit, she indicated that there was no difference in size. On the second night of our stay we visited friends in another deluxe room--it was nearly twice the size.

I wanted to take a toothbrush and clean the caked on dirt off the bathroom vanity--the place is just not cleaned properly. Thankfully, we weren't in the room much, but it was a disappointing experience. The good news is that the lighting is so dim that you probably miss some of the dirt--a blessing.

What made it more disappointing is that upon checkout, I shared our concerns with the attendant at the front desk--she could have cared less.

I can't recommend this property. We had friends on the same trip who stayed at the Staybridge Suites and the Embassy Suites in East Peoria--they said both of these properties were great.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This hotel was one of the best I've ever visited. I've had much lesser experiences at hotels costing twice the money. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean, bright and super high quality everything. Free drinks at the bar and free hot breakfast made to order. Close and convenient to downtown and the riverfront. I can't say enough about how cool this hotel is.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette
Staybridge Suites Peoria Downtown
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Peoria
Wingate by Wyndham Peoria
Country Inn & Suites Peoria North
Embassy Suites by Hilton East Peoria - Hotel & RiverFront Conf Center

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!