“OK for a short stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Naperville, Illinois
“OK for a short stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2007

We stayed at the Mark Twain for one night, we were in town for a wedding next door at the Packard Plaza. The location was ideal for us, literally right next door. We got a good deal due to the fact that a block of rooms was set aside for the wedding at a reduced rate.

The room was not fancy, but adequate for our needs. My only complaint is that the air conditioner was very loud and turned on and off throughout the night, which woke me up several times.

The rate includes free breakfast, which I found to be pretty good, scambled eggs, french toast, bacon and sausage, muffins, toast, juice and cofee were all included. We also got vouchers for two free drinks per person in the bar. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dkr1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2007

I went to Peoria for my boyfriend's college reunion. For that reason,
the Twain was great because a lot of his buddies were booked there. So we had friends in the hotel which automatically makes the place cooler. Also, they give you two drink coupons per guest. I didn't know about this and was thrilled to discover it. There is a pretty cool bar downstairs, and that is a plus. The staff, especially Sarah and Dennis are wonderful! Extremely helpful, like.. out of their way helpful. We stayed in a Century room were they have recently added a cool new stereo system, DVD player, wall speakers, microwave and fridge. All that seemed cool but we were never in the room long enough to use anything but the fridge. Oh, I did really like how they use Bath and Body works products in the Bathroom. =) And the internet worked great. The negatives were the vending machines stole money (which the front desk promptly refunded), and we would have to go to many different floors to get a working one to fill our diet coke cravings. Also when you open the hotel room door, its' like, BAM, there's a wall. The door instantly hits the bathroom wall, the rooms are very small. And the outside is the ugliest color ever. I actually passed the hotel the first time because I just knew that that ugly colored building couldn't be the Mark Twain. But it was. I'd still recommend it, ugly yellow and all.

• Liked — The free drink tickets and helpfull staff.
  • Disliked — The hotel is the ugliest color.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2006

Unlike other guests, I found the entire staff (e.g. Bob, Stephanie, Chris) completely professional, helpful, friendly and courteous at the Mark Twain Hotel. Granted, some in the adjoining restaurant are young but they're doing their best working their butts off, not hanging out in the lobby pounding themselves on their chests like some of you guests. It's not their fault if the restaurant is understaffed sometimes or if a couple of the previous reviewers is so arrogant as to expect everyone to drop everything at once and cater to him/her. Service aside, if you're not too cold or too tired, I'd venture out for good food - Uno was mediocre at best.

The deluxe room was almost perfect. Really. The room was very clean. Looked new still. Filled w/ elegant dark wooden furnishings w/ gallery-like decor, comfy handsome leather chair, sumptuous bed/bedding. Though this was a business trip for me, it was nice that the Euro-style shower reminded of vacations abroad; the gigantic shower head was invigorating. Cozy robes. Sleek, tasteful bathroom detailing, pretty decent hair/body products. Very small rug, but that didn't bother me as I'm not a large person.

Perfect...except for the heater. It was way too LOUD. But I didn't want to turn it off as it was in the 20's F outside. When I thought I could weather the night under the down comforter, I realized the fan/ventilator in the bathroom was always to remain on. Maybe it was to drown out street and hallway noise, respectively. I was a bit disappointed complete quiet for the night was out of the question.

• Liked — Bed/Bedding, Decor
  • Disliked — Loud heater, Bathroom ventilator constantly on
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in the spring or fall when you don't need the heater/AC to cut down on room noise
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank finicky1
Palatine, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2006

I recently had a wedding in Peoria, IL. We were going to be hosting many out of town guests from Chicago and Iowa, and were hoping that the Mark Twain would be a nice place as we had heard about its recent renovations.
In addition, my fiance and I also booked a room here for our wedding night. We were quoted a rate of $150 for the night of our wedding for a room slightly better than the average. We asked for a discount due to having over 20 rooms booked in our block for th wedding party, but were told no. The night before the wedding, we helped some guests check in and also confirmed our room, and our rate.
Upon check in on our wedding night- we were told our rate was not $150, but $300, and that we were unable to cancel our room because it was not 24 hours notice! As I stand there in my wedding dress while my fiance tries to sort out the problem, the desk manager says he will do nothing for us, and if we don't pay- he will just charge the credit card we used to hold the reservation. This was an unreal bate and switch! After several minutes of arguing wiht the front desk, trying to right the situation, or get confirmation of a cancellation- the desk called the police on us. THat's right- midnight on my wedding night standing there crying in my big dress with the POLICE ready to remove us from the building! In the end, we were leaving for our honeymoon the next day, so the situation is still being resolved. We have contacted the better business bureau, and hope to hear back soon about resolution.
This hotel put a large damper on my wedding night. I urge everyone to stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank estone1978
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2006

The Mark Twain is located near the river, in the center of town. After staying in many other Peoria hotels, this is probably one of the best in town, but the renovation and new furnishings are already deteriorating.

The highlight here is the location and the service. Service is limited, but very friendly and professional; they will bend over backwards to help you.

You may receive 2 free drink coupons per night at check-in that you can use to buy bottled water, soda or other drinks. I am not sure if I received this because I was doing consulting work for IBM and Caterpillar, or if this is standard for all guests.

Rooms are decorated in Early American (formal cherrywood or informal light oak), but the poor quality of furniture is already breaking. More than likely, your wood window blinds will not close properly. The window heater/ac is noisy and difficult to adjust. Beds are adequate, but some of the fiberfill pillows are getting pretty lumpy. Bathrooms vary greatly in their state of repair. Nice soaps and shampoos are provided. Broadband internet access works well on the spacious desks. A DVD player is in many of the rooms. Housekeeping is average: definitely not impeccable.

There is ample free self-parking in the rear of the hotel, and easy access to the interstate.

There is a gratis breakfast for guests each morning that includes scrambled eggs, yogurt, coffee, orange juice, cereals, fruit, bacon, danish, bagels, toast and sometimes pre-made pancakes or french toast. The quality is poor to mediocre as is the preparation.

• Liked — Service and location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, state of repair
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ScottN
Woodridge, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2006

I am a frequent business traveler, and though I stayed at the Mark Twain for personal reasons, I have never had a more unfriendly staff to deal with. OK, let me be honest unfriendly is putting it lightly, they were just flat out rude.

I was standing up in a wedding and the bride and groom were planning on staying at this hotel, to be near them I did as well. The group had approximately 20 rooms blocked. When the groom attempted to check in the day before the wedding he was told the rate was double from what he had been quoted. The Groom decided not to stay for the full rate the first night, but he was inform the rate was taken care of for the wedding night at the discounted rate (given because of the 20 room block of rooms).

After the wedding reception ended, a majority of the wedding party and guests head back to the hotel bar. As the groom checked-in he was told the rate was double again. He politely informed them the rate was confirmed yesterday and he was told everything was set. The hotel refused to honor the discounted rate (which is the biggest part that agitated me, as I was with the groom the previous day, and informed them I would check out if they weren't going to stay there). About thirty some people standing in the lobby in disbelief as the hotel turned away a bride and groom, standing in their wedding gown and tux.

So if you want to stay in a hotel that will play the bait and switch game, overcharge you for your room, disrespect you on the most important day of your life, and not let you talk to anyone from the hotel management who can rectify the problem (which I thought they were required by law to allow guests to talk with the posted manager on duty), then you have found the hotel of your dreams.
Overall, the hotel was average at best, the shower flooded the entire bathroom floor, the elevators were old and slow, but regardless the staff's treatment of its guests changes any chance of a rating above 0 (terrible). I have never witnessed a more disrespectful act towards anyone, especially on such an important day.

As I stated before I travel often, and most hotels are in the service industry, going out of the way for the guests leaving them pleased and happy, to ensure they give good referrals and come back for future visits. Again, I said most, and this is not one of them. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, stay at one of them, or just be disappointed.

• Liked — Location (if any) - Other hotel in the area as well, I would avoid
  • Disliked — The rudest staff I have ever come across during any trip
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away/Avoid
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
50 Thank jlausas
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2006

My husband and I stayed there while at attending his sisters wedding. It was a very nice hotel the DVD player in the room, surround sound, free drinks, and comfortable bedding was deffinatly worth the price paid... But the service at the attached Uno Pizzaria was horrible. We plan on going back there again when we visit our family.

• Stayed November 2005