“A dark and dissappointing weekend”

Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
A TripAdvisor Member
“A dark and dissappointing weekend”
Reviewed 11 March 2006

My sister had signed a contract in March of 2005 to block 20 pool side rooms for a family reunion in 06. Management changed hands in July of 2005. Upon confirming the reservations in Feb of 06 for March 3-6 of 06 she was told that we couldn't possibly have all those rooms, that he had a bluegrass convention scheduled for that weekend. He told my sister that he would still let us have part of the rooms but by law he had to have some rooms for handicapped people. He also told us that it would be extremely noisy on that weekend that the bluegrass people would be up all night playing their instruments, so if he let us keep our rooms we were'nt allowed to complain about the noise. We got the rooms pools side when we checked in but it was a disappointing weekend. They played their music outside our rooms until 3:30 am in the morning singing and yelling, again we were told we couldn't complain or they would move us to the back of the motel. The rooms they took away from us for handicapped people were assigned to vendors which smoked non stop. Saturday the atrium was filled with vendors and bluegrass players playing their music and again smoking non stop. Finally at 11:00 pm Saturday night everyone was told to leave the atrium that hotel guests were complaining of all the noise. Sunday
morning the bluegrass convention left. Sunday eve. around 4:00 pm, it was dark & cloudy outside, the atrium was getting dark, our children were swimming so we asked the attendent at the front desk if he would please turn on the atrium lights since it was getting dark and we couldn't see the children in the pool. The amenities in our package was, use of the pool and game area which is in the atrium. We were told that the lights were on a timer and they would come on at 4:30 pm. At 4:35 pm we again asked to have the lights turned on and they told us that the fuse was blown and they couldn't get a new one until Monday. I finally said I wanted to talk with the manager Mr. Petal. He told me that we hadn't rented the atrium and with the high cost of electricity they turned the lights on only on Fri. and Sat. nights. I told him we were paying guests and we had every right to use the pool area safely. I then asked how much it would cost to have him turn on the lights, he quoted me a price of $500.00 for one evening which would last from 4:30 pm to 10:00 pm. What a way to run a business since one of the amenities is use of the pool until 10:00 pm. We had the children leave the pool and brought out the table and floor lamps from our rooms so we could gather in the atrium. We have used this motel for years for our family weekend getaway but never again. We were lied to repeatedly, never heard of renting the atrium in any hotel we have stayed in, the bathrooms were dirty, and all the while we were told that we weren't ALLOWED TO COMPLAIN OR HE WOULD MOVE US TO A BACK ROOM. Don't, I repeat don't rent this place unless you have an extra $500.00 a night to rent the atrium lights so you don't have to look for your children in the dark. My daughter has children and took pictures of the dark atrium and swimming pool, she will be visiting this site.

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Manteno, IL
Reviewed 16 August 2005

I did not see the horror stories some talked about. I stayed on the third floor. It was actually very clean. The biggest downfall is the curtain/spreads are very old, dated and faded. The lobby looks like an old Holiday Inn, but have sure seen a lot worse when it comes to rooms. Our company paid $88 a night for it. Now that was too much for this type of hotel.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Manteno
chicago
Reviewed 7 June 2005

Stayed at this hotel for work purposes last month with 8 other employees in the company. To say the least it was one of the worst experiences any of us ever had. Besides the rude help, we encountered blood stained sheets, horrible odors throughout, and a male contraceptive floating in the pool. It is a disgusting hotel with nothing to offer!

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank falcon2835

Travellers are raving about these Peoria hotels

Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2004

I've stayed at the Brandywine many, many times when I've been downstate. There have been a few times when the building has been a little noisier than I'd like but I've never had any problems really. The rooms have always been clean and well kept and the staff has always been friendly, helpful and attentive. I've stayed in most of the other Peoria Hotels too and still often make my reservations at the Brandywine. I do prefer the 3rd floor when I stay but have been on the other floors also. The 3rd Concierge Floor is quieter and a bit nicer. I guess I've been fortunate not to have had the unpleasant experiences that I've read in some other reviews!

3 Thank Sandy S
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 14 September 2004

My experience at the Holiday Inn Brandywine in Peoria, IL can best be summed up
by Marlon Brando's words in Apocalypse Now - the horror...the horror... My
company reserved this hotel for me for two weeks and paid upfront through Hotwire Prior to my check-in, I read the two reviews about this hotel on tripadvisor.com. Both reviews gave this hotel a terrible rating so I was apprehensive, to say the least. However, since my company had already paid for this reservation in advance and Hotwire has a no refund policy, I had to stay here and I tried to keep an open mind. The best thing I can say about this hotel is the staff members are warm and friendly. Vicki and Dee at the front desk are exceptional and they provide excellent customer service. Now for the horrible part. I had to
change rooms five times. The first time was because what appeared to be black sewage was dripping from behind the wall of the showerhead and the stench was overwhelming. The second time was because the air conditioning unit went out.
The third time was because once again the stench was overwhelming. The fourth time was because my bedding had not been changed. I laid down in the bed, absolutely exhausted, and immediately jumped out of it because the body odor was so strong on the sheets. I pulled back the covers and found an emory board, large rubberband and a sock in bed with me. The fifth time I was forced to switch rooms was because I went to use the bathroom and found feces (yes, feces!) on top of the toilet seat. And all the mattresses were stained. After that last experience, I insisted that they give me a room on the 3rd floor. The third floor is a special concierge floor and one of the staff members told me the rooms on that floor were excellent. After what I had experienced, most hotels would have offered me a special room for the sake of customer relations. Here I had to threaten to sleep on the lobby couch and tell all incoming visitors about my experience, before they would give me a room on this concierge floor. If you must stay at this hotel, never accept any floor except the third floor. The
first floor is the horror...the horror...

6 Thank AuntieChicago_IL
Reviewed 25 July 2004

This hotel was the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed at. The matresses were old and stained, the pillows were lumpy, and the room smelled. I looked under the bed for my childs toy and found a years worth of dust and garbage under the bed.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 January 2004

I am a HI Priority Club member so I try to stay at Holiday Inn's whenever possible. I will NEVER stay here again.

There were a couple of large events taking place at the Civic Center so most hotels were sold out. The line to check in was long so I asked if there was a Priority Club check in line...this was not a stupid question, there was a sign hanging designating a spot at the front desk for this reason. I was told 'no'. OK no problem. After waiting 10 minutes to check in we were off to our room.

Could not open the electronic door. We would get the green light and push down the door handle...nothing. So I walk back to the desk only to be told that you have to lift the door handle up. A little quirky but again no big deal. the clerk was pretty abrupt, but they were busy so I paid no mind.

My daughter was in a tumbling competion in a few hours so we wanted to go to a local Olive Garden for a very quick bite. So I asked the front desk for directions. I was told 3 stop lights on the right. Well after driving around for 20 minutes we were told by a local that it was actually 6 lights up (3 intersections). Well by now we were unable to take the time to eat a sit down meal so we ended up at Hardy's. I was a little frustrated, but again it was OK.

After coming back to the hotel and ordering pizza we went to bed. My daughter needed to be well rested to compete in a large gymnastics competition the next morning.

Imagine our shock when a fight breaks out right outside our sliding glass door! There had to be 10 men fighting, and pushing against the glass of our door to the pool area. I thought that they were going to break the window. I immediately put my daughter in the bathroom and called the Front Desk...only to be told "it's being taken care of".
NOT! Finally the police arrived and closed the pool and surrounding area.

I again called the front desk and tried to explain that I was in the room that the fight was in front of...I wanted assurance that everything was fine, that no one was going to be showing up with a gun.
I also tried to explain that it was just myself and my daughter...I was told that"it was taken care of" and I was hung up on.

Well, an hour later, ANOTHER fight broke out ...this time in front of my room door! I immediately called the front desk and was told it was being taken care of...The police came and I could hear them taking away some of the fighters. I could also hear a child on a cell phone telling his mom "to please come back right now...dad's going to jail".

So I again try to call the front desk....you guessed it...rudeness.

In the morning, I was desperate for a hot shower after the LONG night.
I went to put the soap in the shower stall and found a pubic hair in the soap dish! ick! Then after letting the shower run and run and run...only to find that there was NO HOT WATER!

I called the front desk and was told that there was a SMALL SECTION of the hotel that did not get hot water. BULL! Our group had fifteen rooms all over the hotel...from the 120's to the 267 area...NOT one room had hot water!

I went to the front desk and asked for a discount to be applied to my bill, I wanted to detail out why and the clerk shoved a card at me and told me to call the general manager on Monday. This was totally the last straw for me. I wrote directly on my bill that I did not authorize payment until the GM called ME! This was Sunday...it is now Wednesday.
I am going to forward a copy of this site to him so that they can see not only my review, but also the trend.

Do not stay here. It is dirty, the staff is rude and the management is unresponsive. It is almost enough to make me stop using Holiday Inn's.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member