“Great for little ones too!”
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Ranked #1 of 1 Chicklade B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I took my four year old daughter to Longleat and we stayed at the Old Rectory with Lynda and Colin for two nights. It really made the holiday special, so much so, I almost forgot to pay when we left as they made it feel like we were staying with family! Lynda and Colin are so helpful and kind. They go out of their way to meet all your needs. The room was spotless and to a high spec, the breakfast was amazing, high quality ingredients cooked really well. The coffee was really good. They were great with my daughter and my daughter loved them very much. I couldn't recommend them and the place highly enough. There is plenty of parking space and its near some really nice places to eat (2 miles) in the evening. Longleat took about 20 minutes to drive to. We'd definitely go back. Thank you Colin and Lynda!

Room Tip: Shaftesbury room has a nice bath. They face a main road but it was so quiet, it made no difference t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband & I stayed at The Old Rectory last weekend with our 7 yr old daughter. We had the family suite which was perfect for our requirements. We arrived in terrible weather to a warm and friendly welcome. Linda & Colin are excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble, they clearly care very much that their guests are happy and content. We had a fridge in our room which was very useful and Linda even brought us some fresh milk to have with our tea & coffee in the room even though there was UHT milk on the tea tray.
The breakfast was excellent, I particularly enjoyed the apricots and Greek yoghurt. Great choice of cooked breakfast, good quality ingredients and plenty of it, we were asked several times whether we wanted anything more and our daughter was made to feel just as important as a guest, she loved the scrambled eggs!
The house is beautiful and very warm and welcoming, we found it to be an excellent base from which to visit, Bath, Bristol & Longleat and for us it was not far from home in Bournemouth. We would definitely stay again and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a quality B&B .

Room Tip: If you have a family the family suite is ideal, very spacious and tastefully decorated.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Absolutely first class B&B, from the lovely warm welcome (that included a slice of cake!), to the local sight seeing recommendations for us tourists! Colin and Lynda are wonderful hosts with seemingly nothing too much trouble. We stayed for a few days over my birthday and after seeing my birthday cards scattered around our room, they not only wished me a happy birthday but gave me a gift of a bottle of Cava too - a perfect way to round the day off. The room itself (we stayed in the blue room) was very comfortable, clean and spacious enough for a couple - the bed was really comfy and the bathroom again very spacious and clean. Breakfast was great too and included home made luxury museli! Would highly recommend The Old Rectory B&B as a great little retreat - try it, you wont be sorry you did!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After my overnight stay at The Old Rectory I have to say that I was hugely impressed. It all starts with the welcome for me, and a huge welcome is what you get from both of it's owners Lynda & Colin, and after what can so sometimes be a long journey, this can be much needed. I was given my key and shown up to my room, and for a B&B I couldn't get over the size of the room allocated. This en suite double room was very comfortable and impeccably clean.

After settling in nicely I went into the local village for a bite to eat at a pub that Polly my researcher had also chosen and features in the Wiltshire restaurant section. Upon returning to the Old Rectory, I was greeted by the owners who proceeded to ask if I fancied a hot chocolate… how could I possibly resist! After what turned out to be the best nights sleep I'd had in 6 days travelling, I headed downstairs for a wonderful breakfast of 'Poached Eggs & Smoked Salmon' with great coffee, true breakfast heaven! The owners obviously put enormous importance on sending their guests on their way not feeling hungry!

Lynda and Colin are great hosts. The Old Rectory is just a short drive to attractions such as Stonehenge, Longleat and Stourhead The Old Rectory is also an ideal base to visit the Medieval City of Salisbury and the beautiful Roman city of Bath,

Joshua Stevenson (Travel Journalist)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joshua S
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Although we only stayed one night, the hosts Lynda & Colin, made us feel especially welcome. From the moment we booked the family room, after chatting to Lynda, I knew we had made a good choice. It is listed as a bed and breakfast, but the quality of the rooms and fittings were better than many hotels I have stayed in.
The family room, was two separate rooms linked with an adjoining door, the children had two big beds to sleep in and enough play space on the floor to build the Lego. The main bedroom had a large comfortable bed, with plenty of cupboard space, tea and coffee, TV on the wall.
The breakfast in the morning was plentiful, great selection of cooked food, cereals, juice etc
The location is just off the A303, but they have a big drive to park in and I could not hear any traffic. A great spot to visit Longleat for the day or Avebury.
Lastly, Lynda & Colin are exceptional hosts, warm, friendly and could not help us enough to make our stay wonderful. Better than excellent.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Amazing place to stay...They make you feel so welcomed it's truly great to stay up here...it was only 19mins from Longleat and after we went to Salisbury with the helpful direction from the wonderful owners...truly amazing

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I had a great holiday here. Lynda & Colin are great hosts with good advice and ideas when required. Breakfast was great with a good choice of cooked to order food plus different fresh fruit each day. Plenty to do in and area the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicklade
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 2 in Bourton
The Lamb
The Lamb
#1 of 2 in Hindon

Been to The Old Rectory? Share your experiences!