“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We usually say that a full pub car park is a good sign. The converse is also usually true. When we arrived to find the car park of The Trout almost empty, we should have driven away. There seemed to be only two other guests in the pub when we arrived for lunch at about 12.45. This was our first visit and I'm fairly sure we won't be returning unless things seriously improve. It's not cheap so we ordered from the top of the menu - lighter meals. The fish cakes were very disappointing and the brie and bacon baguette wasn't great. I asked for chips to come with the baguette but they were first forgotten then not available due to a machinery breakdown. The charge of £5.95 for a small piece of warm apple crumble seemed much too high.

3  Thank stotty24

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Have had several superb evening meals at the trout recently, service has been great and friendly staff. Would like to see a specials board at some point though as we are slowly making our way through the menu.

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

After visiting here in october we were very disapointed on our return last weak we were disgusted to find the manager walking around with his trousers half down and backside hanging out. We also found out the chef had left. The drinks we wanted had ran out and when the food came out I though we had all been given childs meals my sons daughter's chip's were so small they came in a cup. Overall very very disapointed and will not be going back.

1  Thank Aar0n2010
Reviewed 26 November 2013

As a family we have visited this pub a few times since it's refurbishment when driving through the beautiful Itchen Valley. I don't know if we have just been unlucky, but on each occasion it has been sadly wanting. It always seems that they have 'run out' of whatever drink we try to order and as the place has been almost empty on our visits, I am not quite sure who is drinking the stock! What an uninspiring place - I pity the poor villagers.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My first visit to The Trout. Took my wife's Aunt and Uncle for Sunday lunch on their recommendation. Food was very good and we were made to feel very welcome by the chef Mark and his staff. Although we live up in Nottingham I hope we can visit again.