“Marvelous Visit (again)!”
Review of The White Lion Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wherwell
The White Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Wherwell B&B and Inns
Riverside, Missouri
“Marvelous Visit (again)!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed for a week in mid-May. Accommodations clean & cozy -- drinks & food excellent...

The Inn was established in 1611 (so no en-suite facilities) but it has retained its old world charm, the staff is friendly & go out of their way to make you feel like old friends.

This wasn't our first stay and...and it won't be our last...

We will be back!

We highly recommend it for a relaxing, chill-out experience!

Room Tip: Room 3 overlooking the back yard (garden) -- large room and beautiful view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I cannot remember the last time that I stayed overnight without en suite facilities. Despite our misgivings, the Tripadvisor reports encouraged us and to good effect.
The pub is 17th century and you feel has not had any major changes since. The room was large and bare but clean and the bed comfortable. While we shared toilet and bathroom, this didn't cause any problems.
The bar was buzzing with locals who were friendly and there were three or four real ales to try. The food was pub, not gourmet - the pies we both had were excellent. Mine was game and bacon, by wife's lamb and rosemary. The full English the next morning was fine with good sausages and excellent mushrooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John L
Cheshire
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Having used the White. Lion many times for food and our fishing trips to the Test, we decided to try there for accommodation.. What a brilliant decision. Great food as always, honest comfortable clean rooms and above all very congenial and obliging landlord. Very understanding and compassionate when we received bad news during our second night, necessitating a short notice cancellation of part of our stay.
Would recommend without any qualification.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We visited with well over 20 friends after a classic MG car run and they certainly looked after us as most of us had pre-booked a meal. Those that had not pre-booked were also quickly served. All the meals were freshly cooked and nicely presented. Generous portions proved a little difficult for some but all were happy with the quality of the food and service. We have not visited here for some while but will return soon. There was a nice menu choice and a good selection of beers, ales and wines. I had the excellent Cod & Chips with tarter sauce and mushy peas that was very filling.
The pub has a nice overall atmosphere and the staff were all very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Stockbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My other half & I were passing through here 3 weeks ago & decided to pop in for an early evening meal... We were seated downstairs which was a lovely comfortable area, felt so homely. We had one of the pies & the shepherds pie followed by the mini cheesecake selection, which was lovely!
We decided to visit again last week which was ok but wasn't as good as our previous visit, we were seated up the top area which wasn't as nice as down the bottom. I like dog friendly pubs as we have a dog but we had 4 other customer dogs round our table which was a bit of an off put. We ordered the Scallops to share as a starter which we awful, no taste at all pretty glad they had the butternut with them as that's all we could taste. For mains my other half had the Trout which he loved & I had the Chicken Curry which again had no taste at all! The rice had all the water left in it which made the sauce even blander. Coffee however which the great menu selection was gorgeous. The staff were off & not welcoming on the first Monday we went like i said everything was brilliant, Will visit again but not in a hurry like last time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Henny16h
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I needed somewhere to stay and found The White Lion by searching the web. I wouldn't normally have chosen a place without en-suite, at the time of booking I just needed a room.

I was racing at Thruxton and four friends joined me for an evening meal and I have to say what a super place, food was great, Timothy Taylor Landlord on draft, a great breakfast all complemented with friendly staff.

Room 3 is stunning and I'd happily recommend the White Lion to anyone.

I'll be back and many thanks

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We went to the White Lion as a get together meal .I haven't been there for some years so interesting to see if there were many changes.We had a table reserved and the staff were very welcoming.It was a lovely sunny day and people were sitting outside.The menu was pub meal standard .There we're choises of pies and veg etc.I had White bait as a starter and was disappointed it was over cooked with too much batter .The main course ham egg and chips ,this was fine .The coffee was a problem as it was a cup of ordinary coffee with or without milk ,no other choises ,but we told that they are getting a machine soon .The overall feeling was pub meal good service ,and marks out of ten I would say six .bill

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank William O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wherwell
Peat Spade Inn
Travelodge Barton Stacey
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The White Lion Inn? Share your experiences!