“Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Peru
Staunton, United States
“Comfortable Stay”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We experienced a death in the family. We were looking for a place to stay near my husband's hometown. We called and made reservations that day and arrived very late at night. We were very tired and our check-in took very little time. The room was great and the breakfast was awesome.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was actually traveling back and forth from Princeton each day to stay here while taking care of my grandmother in the hospital/nursing home. I am very glad I did because the staff is super nice and helpful. The beds were super comfy. Air worked great for coolness and noise. Several have commented on the interstate noise. I could hear it, but my AC did drown it out and I slept great. The only noise issues I noticed were the heavy doors slamming as guests entered/exited their rooms. Breakfast was usual Hampton. I didn't use the pool, but did go in to check it out. I appears that they have some toys that stay there for the kids. (nice idea!) I stuck my foot in the hot tub which looked so inviting. It was nice and warm, but I was just too exhausted to go up and change. I would definitely stay here again if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice newer hotel. The staff was friendly and personable. Breakfast was much better compared to other chains. Just ask for a room opposite to the highway for a little quieter room. You have a choice for several hotel chains right in the general vicinity. We have stayed at all of them over the past 20 years. We decided to try the new Hampton Inn and we were pleasantly pleased.

Waterloo, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have taken to staying at Hampton Inns lately when traveling, and this one is another great example of the value for the rate paid. The staff are all friendly and the rooms are clean and fresh. We used the pool this time and it was in excellent condition. The only negative I have is that the utensils provided were made of a softer eco-friendly material and the knives and forks in particular were too rubbery to be useful, but that was a small thing.

Cary
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here to be close to Starved Rock. Check in was quick and easy, rooms were clean and the beds are very comfortable. We were not bothered by the interstate traffic and the option to have the A/C fan consistent was an added bonus as I love white noise. Breakfast was tasty and there were plenty of options. You can walk to Target and a few places to eat.

Only downside is that the pool is pretty plain, the hot tub doesn't really work and they ran out of towels at the pool.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great hotel, we got upgraded and we loved it ( I only have silver status). The front desk lady recommended lots of restaurants. If you go to starved rock, the perfect location. The room was clean and neat.

Southeast, US
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns. They are usually pretty concistent in their cleanliness and service. I'm not sure I'd stay at this one again.

The pluses: right off I-80, relatively safe area?, staff seemed friendly, nice lobby, ample parking close to building, rooms and hallways "smell fresh", a/c works well, comfortable bed, nice recreational opportunities in the area, close to Chicago, reasonable rates

Minuses: loud walls/halls, fridge didn't cool well,

Big minus for me: I got in late at night. Room appeared clean, with the exception of the carpets which looked pretty dingy. I relaxed a bit then went to get a shower. When I got into the shower I noticed hairs on the back of the tub -- just 2. I wasn't terribly disgusted at that point. I felt like the room was clean. I used to work in hotel housekeeping. Hairs get stuck to cleaning tools (mops, cloths, etc). But I wasn't impressed either. There shouldn't ever be hairs left. They need to be cleaned no matter what. After I got out of the shower, I noticed hair on the floor as well. When I left the bathroom to get into bed (now beginning to inspect because I had that "icky feeling that guests shouldn't get if a room was turned over right) I saw a dirt print on the floor outside the bathroom. It was a tennis shoe. I came in wearing flats with no tread. It was not mine. Now I was sure the floor was NOT mopped. If the floor was not mopped, what else was not cleaned? It is entirely possible that is the only detail overlooked, but considering the tub hairs, I had to doubt it. Which is a shame because everything else in the room appeared clean. I need to trust that my room is clean when I go in it though, not wonder.

In the defense of the hotel, I did not give them a chance to right the situation so I cannot say that they would not have come and cleaned it right away. I actually felt pretty confident that had I told them and they had another room available or a person to clean, they would have tried to make it right. I did not call down because it was after 1 in the morning and I was tired from driving and needed sleep so I could get to a funeral the next day. In the morning at checkout I informed them and they gave me a gift card for Starbucks.

I don't know that I would come back to this particular Hampton unless I knew they did something different with their housekeeping, since -- from reading other reviews -- this is not the first time this has been a problem.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peru
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
La Quinta Inn Peru Starved Rock State Park
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Peru? Share your experiences!