All reviews her husband homemade shortbread warm welcome the blue room lovely wine fantastic home breakfast was amazing cream tea place to stay beautiful room little extras rural area irish hospitality ulster fry following morning b and b pot belly
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Blackwell House for a Romantic Getaway weekend on our anniversary.
As Joyce, the owner/manager, became aware of this, she made sure that every need was seen to so that our stay was as special and romantic as the beautiful Irish Scenery view from our windows.
A special, secluded dinner for two in the garden room overlooking a beautiful picnic area, followed by the romantic setting of the fire at night. We can't wait to re-book for next year!
This is the perfect spot for a romantic getaway!

Date of stay: August 2014
Joyce B, Owner at Blackwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Hi there Ryan, I am so pleased that your special romantic weekend at Blackwell House was a success. It was a delight to help you make your weekend extra special and it would be wonderful to see you and Danielle again next time you have something to celebrate.
Steve and I really enjoyed chatting to you both about your travels to Australia and you have definitely sold us on the idea of going there for a visit.
See you again soon I hope,

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I have been visiting Northern Ireland on business for 15 years and this is simply the best accommodation experience I have had. I had never stayed in a B&B before, and having needed to stay quite close to Portadown and not being able to find a nice hotel, I decided to stay at Blackwell House. The house is in a rural location so it is extremely quiet. It is about 15 minutes from Banbridge which is on the main Belfast / Dublin motorway. It is a stunning house with amazing decor and finish. It is like something from an interiors magazine. Joyce is very friendly and welcoming. I ate at the house both nights and the food is incredible. You cannot even compare it to any meal I have had in a hotel in Northern Ireland. It is 5 star hotel standard. Joyce asked me what kind of food I liked before I came but what she made really exceeded my expectations. The breakfast is also fantastic,wth freshly squeezed orange juice and muesli with fruit etc, homemade bread and cold meats. I did not have the Ulster Fry but a fellow guest did and it looked excellent. My room was very comfortable with a nice sitting area and desk (home-made biscuits went down a treat!), flat-screen TV, wi-fi, nice selection of books to read, spotless en suite bathroom and rain-shower. The decor is like a boutique hotel, yet the personal touches make it more like a home from home. The bed was very comfortable and since it is so quiet I slept really well. There is a lovely garden and patio area but it was cold for August so I did not venture outside. Plenty of room for parking in the big drive. In terms of price, it is similar to some of the nicer hotels in Northern Ireland, but so much better in terms of value for money. I would recommend Blackwell House to any visitor to Northern Ireland and I am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Hi Phil, Thank you so much for your recommendation, I especially appreciate your critique as you travel so much and stay in so many hotels. I am pleased you like our renovation and decor, we have tried to find a style that would make our guests feel a little bit special when they come to stay but not forgetting to make it comforting like a home from home. I am passionate about cooking for everyone who comes to stay and I try to tailor the menu to their taste if I can - its the best feeling ever when someone really enjoys their dinner or breakfast. We look forward to you coming to stay at Blackwell House again - maybe you could try the Ulster Fry the next time around :-)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I have to travel regularly to Northern Ireland on business and have stayed in most types of hotel but wanted to try something different. First and only problem was sat nav didnt take me right to the door however as in a very rural area thought it had made a mistake so carried on another 500 yards and arrived. Was met by Joyce at the door at was shown to my room was offered an immediate refreshment which was welcomed after a long days driving!! Was asked if I wanted to stay for the evening meal and as I had climbed the stairs and could smell the aroma from the kitchen would have been rude not to!!! After receiving a refill to my glass was relaxing in the garden room and chatting to a fellow traveller prior to sitting down to eat. Well all I can say is this lady can cook had a fantastic starter followed by a Indian Curry most high class restaurants would be proud of and even managed a lovely desert as well.

So fed and watered retired to my room to relax and was greeted by a lovely chocolate with my bed turned down. Woke after sleeping well to the smell of breakfast well what can I say wasn't disappointed again!!

Would I stay again ? OF course no problem at all only problem I have is that I cant stay more on my trips as I have to travel around other wise would ONLY stay here!!!

One small issue as a large guy found the shower a problem in my room however Joyce has promised the double shower room next time!!

Room tip: If larger person like me ask for room with bigger shower cubicle
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Joyce B, Owner at Blackwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Hi Arron, thank you so much for your kind comments it was a real pleasure to have you to stay at Blackwell House. I am glad I just happened to have my Indian Chicken Masala on the menu on the evening you stayed - I learned to cook this dish in Goa and it has been a firm favourite with family and friends for a number of years.
I will be very happy to offer you a free upgrade to a room with a larger bathroom and a double shower next time you stay, it was a shame that these rooms were all taken when you last stayed. Please just drop me a line to remind me before you arrive.
I look forward to seeing you again soon - I'll have to make sure I have something extra special on the menu next time as well :-)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Blackwell house is set in an idyllic location; the house is beautiful with every attention paid to detail. While staying we requested a picnic basket, as well as two bikes. When we opened the picnic basket it was a tantalizing glimpse of the love and care Joyce seems to put into everything she does. The food was far above the standard you would expect in a five star hotel, as was everything else. Joyce seems to love her business and it shows in everything she does. She was a great host, very warm and friendly. Nothing seemed too much to ask, for dinner we requested a vegetarian option which was excellent. You could not find nicer people, if you stay be prepared not to want to leave!

Aaron and Megan

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Joyce B, Owner at Blackwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

I am over whelmed by your lovely comments, thank you so much for taking the time to write in trip advisor. I am delighted that your stay with us turned out as you had planned and I was very happy to help to make it extra special.
As you know we have only been open a few months and I am loving every minute of it. This is a dream come true for me and I really look forward to new guests coming to stay.
I hope your travels go well and look forward to seeing you both back in Blackwell House soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Blackwell House is a great location and Joyce the owner is the perfect hostess, warm and friendly with attention to every detail. My daughter and I shared the beautiful Blue Room and had a wonderful 3 night stay. The breakfast's were great, so many choices and the afternoon Tea was outstanding!!!. We would go back in a heart-beat. If you are in this area of Northern Ireland don't miss this lovely home.

Rita and Brigid USA

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank rita s
Joyce B, Owner at Blackwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I loved meeting you both, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that the traditional Afternoon Tea was a big hit with you and your friends. I look forward to seeing you next time you visit Northern Ireland.
Warm regards