“A Step Back In Time”
Review of Oaks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
Oaks
Ranked #2 of 2 Petersburg B&B and Inns
Elko, Nevada
“A Step Back In Time”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Oaks just recently and found the accomodations and service excellent. Some others have commented on the condition of the building and rooms, lets remember this mansion is well over 150 yrs old and time takes it's toll on everything, The rooms are clean, the beds very comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. Ken and his wife were great. As far as pealing paint and cobwebs in the fireplace that was mentioned in another review, well that did not disturb us, we were not there looking to buy the place, just spend a restful and quiet night in a historic mansion.

Ron & Vickie

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ron V

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
atlanta il.
Reviewed 8 July 2013

really disappointing!!! was our first b&b, well start with the good.... susan can really cook and ken a nice person but,,,, very dirty and run down, sad to see really!!they dont seem to care that their guest have clean room! they had plenty of notice no reason room should have spiders and web in all the windows along with dead bugs also fireplaces were full of spider webs and dirt! plaster pealing in all guest rooms. talked to and seen other guest rooms,all guest were very disappointed and rooms were dirty and pealing plaster in theirs to!they will not get repeat from any of couples that stayed same weekend as us!!! over priced for conditions! shame to let such a great house fall apart,,,,,,, MY ADVISE TO THEM WOULD BE TAKE SOME PRIDE IN THAT 1875 HOME AND CLEAN IT UP! REALLY COULD BE A GEM IF THEY CARED!!

Room Tip: DONT GO THERE! NEEDS GOOD CLEANING check it out before you book!web site needs update
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laure b

Travellers are raving about these Petersburg hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

I was referred to "The Oaks" from inn keeper at the Branson house, which was booked. I'm really grateful.
My family, 11 year old included, LOVED THIS PLACE!!
prior to my visit, the inn keeper called to confirm everything, including my late arrival, which ended up being really late & dark. He was available when I called to direct me in. it's on a hill & entrance is on a different street.
Ken, the innkeeper, was very nice, as was Susan. They gave us their number, in case we neede them, they live in back. Very nice people, considerate.
We had a party of 4, they made
up 2 roll away beds for us to accomidate. We had Edward Landing suite, it was very nice.

Old Victorian style house(I guess, not an expert) not perfect, but very interesting & comfortable.
Service & food was great!

We had a funeral & they suggested, after we checked out, since our room was not booked, that we come back to change afterward.Which was extremely considerate. Or we would've been changing in th church bathroom.

I would go back

• Stayed September 2012
Central IL
Reviewed 29 December 2008

The Oaks hosted my wedding reception. It was small (only 16 people) and intimate. I had the owner's take care of the dinner and my husband & I stayed in the Edward Laning suite. Mainly because the guests would be in and out of our room and I got ready for the wedding there. The house is great. I wouldn't call it run down as some others referred to it. It's...used. But what do you expect from a house that old. It was perfect for my wedding. Dinner was extraordinary. We had 3 course prime rib dinner or a tilapia served. Everyone just raved about the food. Breakfast the next morning was also fabulous. These people can seriously cook. Our suite was great. Lots of room but a little warm. Here's the one complaint...staff. They had one waitress to handle the wedding party. She was not nice. Didn't seem to want to be there. And owners are hard to reach. And not overly friendly. Aloof? Is that the right word? Anyway...everything turned out fine but they could work on that.

• Liked — Great House
  • Disliked — Owners a bit cold. Okay...mainly the wife.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank nevergets2go
ct
Reviewed 8 October 2007

OK, this B&B is terribly run down. There hasn't been anyone weeding this landscape for at least a year. Our room wasn't ready upon arrival and we did arrive rather late. I believe the owners are concentrating on their restaurant in town and letting this property go. It really is pathetic to see the place.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — uncomfortable bed, tub wouldn't hold water--this was their best accommodation
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank ctkathy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2006

After viewing the web site of the Oaks I thought the rooms would be amazing. However upon arrival I was somewhat disappointed in the room quality. We stayed in the Ballroom. It was very spacious however the bathroom was very basic & there was a section of wall that was crumbling & covered by a screen. The sheets on the beds were wonderful. The hospitality of the Innkeeper's was lacking. They were never very talkative or friendly. We never felt welcomed or comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful. The food is great! I was lured by the plush towels & robes only to find standard bath towels & dilapidated robes. Overall I felt the website made this place look a lot nicer than it actually is. The home is beautiful however I'm not sure that I would return.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 January 2005

The Oaks, an italianate mansion from the 1870's, sits high on the top of a hill overlooking the town of Petersburg. Petersburg itself is somewhat an anamoly in central Illinois as it is situated along the Sangamon River and as such is quite hilly. Many old 19th-century homes, some quite grand, still remain in town. One of the grandest of these is the property known as The Oaks. The innkeepers that own and run it say it was built by one of the founders of the Chicago stockyards. It is built of brick, is italianate in style and is right out Charles Addams' mind. It may even be haunted. We were there in mid-October, shortly before Halloween when Petersburg's color change what at it's height. It was simply magnificent. There are a variety of rooms and suites in which to stay. We stayed in the Edward Laning Suite with its two fireplaces and gigantic bedroom. Sue, one of the innkeepers and a trained chef, prepares spectacular breakfasts. A romantic dinner can be arranged. They will even pack a box lunch for you. They offer murder mystery weekends at the Oaks...there are few better venues for such affairs! The Oaks in Petersburg is one of the gems of the midwest, situated in a truly memorable and unique central Illinois town. Petersburg is glorious when the leaves change color. An old mortuary on the town square has been converted into a very convincing haunted house and draws literally thousands of visitors from around Illinois as well as out-of-state during the Halloween season. It's not your average haunted house. Embalming equipment? Hmmm. Lincoln's New Salem, adjacent to Petersburg is a source of endless history and in summertime you can enjoy their Theatre Under The Stars. Petersburg seems like a memory of a place long ago...yet it still is alive and kicking and is only 20 beautiful miles from Springfield. Do yourself a favor and go.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
President Abraham Lincoln Springfield - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Petersburg
Inn at 835
Inn at 835
#1 of 4 in Springfield

Been to Oaks? Share your experiences!