“10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Plainfield
Plainfield Fishing Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plainfield
Joliet, Illinois
“10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I read some of the negative reviews and I could not help but wonder if it was a case of lack of skill, or has the lake degraded over the years. I fished this place regularly since I was a kid, and you could say I learned how to fish on it.
I started out last week working the shoreline with a Mimic Minnow spinnerbait and alternating with a 1/4 oz. jig and pork frog near the islands. Took two 14" bass on successive casts along Renwick Road shoreline. Hooked and lost another one by the boat close to Trout Haven. Worked back up the opposite side and caught another bass about 16 inches, and a little pig about 8 inches that decided he was ready for a big minnow. I released all these fish unharmed. Was getting tired of casting so I switched up and took the boat out into the main lake using a direct sight between the bait shop and the bathroom at the far end of the lake. Anchored off a submerged weed bed and used chicken livers and shrimp that I kept cold in my cooler. Landed four channel catfish in about an hour and a half in between 2 and 4 pounds. In between strikes I kept myself amused using a ultralight with a casting bubble and some McGinty dry flies. Landed about 20 little bluegills. A few of them a bit on the fat and sassy side.
So, if you can read structure, cast accurately, and understand your quarry's habitat, you can still catch plenty of fish out of this lake.

Room Tip: Not a hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank billy1960_12

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

The fishing here is awful. A lot of baitfish, and bluegills so small they can't even take a small jig. Everywhere you go is weeds,and algae. Forget fishing off the bottom. Forget lures in most places. Even the weedless lures. Only big fish I saw were carp. The pictures on the wall all look like Polaroids from over the years and not at all reflective of the resort. For the wife and I to fish on the boat, $63. (that includes 1 doz worms and 1 doz minnows) the lake is SO full of weeds you and even hardly use the trolling motor in most areas. I kept having to pull the motor up and remove weeds from the propellors. The cement anchors are mounted with chain instead of nylon rope, and they don't work work a crap either. Who uses chain on an aluminum boat? Everybody I saw today hadn't had one bite. Waste of time and money. I have never seen so many weeds in my life of fishing. It's like literally 2000 Christmas trees submerged.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Chris1015

Travellers are raving about these Plainfield hotels

Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

So happy the lake is now open for the season! With all the nice weather we have been having, I have been itching to get out for some fishing. Went yesterday for opening day and had a great time as always. Caught a few trout and saw people pulling in some catfish. Will be back again soon!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank J H
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I have been to pfr five times and every time I go with friends we either catch nothing or baby fish. Just went 5/31/11 and the guy told me they stocked catfish corner twice recently and only managed a 1lb channel with using four poles and various baits. Recasting every 20 min and changing baits. Using Minnows, worms, and liver tight lined and bobbered., Tried multiple spots. Later on caught some baby bass and bluegills. Thats the best I have done there.

I never see any decent size fish swimming when the water is clear. There is a lot weeds already so forget about lures unless your on a boat. I always keep an eye out for anyone else catching anything and the biggest fish i seen caught was a 5lb carp. So if i can see 20 people fishing from my spot and they have two rods each thats 40 rods that are not getting any bites. The road you drive on is pretty bad. Has a lot of big pot holes. Would not take long to fill in those with some rocks maybe a half a day for a couple guys. . It seems like they don't want you to catch fish. They open at 7 which is kind of late for fisherman. And the boats have a loud chained anchor that scares away the fish. Weeds everywhere.

The place is pretty clean and is good to bring the family and barbeque but I would not recommend the place for just fishing. Unless bluegills keeps you happy. This place is either very hard to fish or they stock it regularly with baby fish.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DMC888
naperville, il
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I have been to the Plainfield Fishing Resort (PFR) numerous times and have always had a great experience. I moved to Phoenix two years ago and happened to be back in the Plainfield area over Memorial Day weekend 2010. We went on Sunday when the PFR opened at 0700 and people were already lining up before the place opened.

We are not experienced fisherman by far but had a blast out on the lake. We took out two boats and there were literally fish jumping all around us near the island shores. I have read through past reviews about no fish but this is not the case. In the front office there is a board listing the dates and quantify of fish stocked. I myself did not catch anything but saw about 10-15 fish jumping out of the water all around our boat and actually saw 2 fish below our boat eat off my night crawler.

I would recommend this place for any size group or family for any event. Trip advisor has this listed as a hotel which is incorrect. This is not a hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank agsty8
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Went fishing at this place for the first time on Tuesday. I've worked in Joliet for years but didn't know this place existed. Great place to go when you get out of work a little early because it's really cheap. Even in the rain I caught a six lb and a four lb catfish that I'm going to grill tonight! I will definitly be back a lot this summer.

• Stayed May 2010
7 Thank Jim2101967
Plainfield, IL
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Spent four hours there 7/26/09, and didn't get a nibble, let alone SEE A FISH. Don't get me wrong, the place is beautiful, the water is crystal clear, and it looks like a spectacular place to fish, but that's not the case. In 4 hours, not a single hit - worked Shorelines, Islands, even the Center of the lake with Spinners, Rooster Tails, Power Bait, Mepps Comets, etc. Saw 1 person catch a tiny catfish on the shore. Didn't see anyone working lures, 99% of fishermen were still fishing with live bait. Appears that the lake hasn't been stocked in many, many months and whatever fish WERE there have been snapped up with their 6-fish keeper rule.

Will not go back - EVER.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainfield
Hampton Inn by Hilton Joliet I-55
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Romeoville
Harrah's Joliet
Harrah's Joliet
#4 of 23 in Joliet

Been to Plainfield Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!