“Our Stay at The Historic Homestead”

The Historic Homestead
Ranked #1 of 1 Plano B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Prior to visiting The Historic Homestead this November, I had seen photographs of the interior & exterior. They did nothing to prepare me for the in-person beauty of this storied home! Each room - including bathrooms and hallways - feature the most beautiful artworkwork found this side of The Louvre, painted directly on the walls themselves. I was also blown away by the beauty of both the hardwood and ceramic tiled floors.
The impressive aesthetics of the Homestead, however, take a backseat to the warm & gracious hospitality of proprietor Mary Kay and her husband. Bubbling with personality, Mary Kay is the ultimate hostess, who has the natural gift for taking care of her guests' needs before they even ask and making them feel comfortable.
The food was elegant and excellent (I had recently gone wheat-free and did not give Mary Kay advance notice. I did not have any expectations that she would accommodate my new diet. Without being asked, she surprised me with the most delicious wheat-free breakfast I could have imagined - and I don't believe my travel companions felt they were being deprived in any way. It was, quite simply, decadent.).
On a final note, as someone who has done quite a bit of traveling in the past, my biggest concern is cleanliness and The Homestead far exceeded my expectations.
I would highly recommend this B&B not only for both couples and girls' getaways, but also special events (think retreats, reunions, meetings).

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Well...where to begin?! Some friends and I traveled to the Historic Homestead Bed & Breakfast for a relaxing weekend. It was much more than we had even anticipated. It felt like "home". The house itself was beautiful with its painted murals in each room, relaxing and peaceful if you choose to nestle up and read for awhile, and located near a few little towns that offer darling boutiques and antique stores. The breakfast served was delicious! (Not a bite left on my plate!) The first morning was my favorite...creme brûlée french toast! I am looking forward to bringing my husband for the next get-away!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just returned from a girls getaway at The Homestead and it was just what I needed! Cozy, welcomin, amazing murals and very clean! Lots of warm, inviting places to curl up with a good book or fun magazine. We enjoyed lunch in Yorkville and all the adorable boutiques and antique shops in Morris. Can't wait for a return visit - my husband might even get to come along the next time.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

We so enjoyed our stay at the Homestead on our anniversary this summer. We could not say more wonderful things about this beautiful estate. At the very least it was the cleanest, most well-kept hotel we’ve ever been to. We had never stayed in any bed and breakfast before and felt spoiled by the romantic décor and five-star hospitality. We had no idea what to expect during our stay so we brought everything but the kitchen sink only to find that all of the conveniences of home were awaiting us at the Homestead. To be completely honest, it was much more luxurious than home! Every room had a personal touch to make our stay more inviting. We also enjoyed hearing about the rich history of the Homestead, the people who lived there, and the surrounding area. The assistance they gave us with planning our daily activities during our stay was well beyond our expectations. We came from about four hours north of Plano, and were unfamiliar with the area so it was great that they had so many ideas for activities. We could have stayed a week instead of a weekend! We took the Amtrak to Chicago for ta day and had a lot of fun. The train station was only a few blocks away and had plenty of parking if needed. We were sent off that morning with a delicious banana soufflé and sausage breakfast and welcomed back at the end of a long day of walking with wine and cheese in the study, followed by a long bath in the Fox River Suite’s deep claw foot bathtub. There is so much character in this home that you will simply be amazed. It even has a labyrinth in the yard. WOW!!! We continue to recommend staying at The Homestead to any of our close friends and family. It is a great place for a romantic weekend and would also have the space for a group to have a nice retreat. We give the house, the hospitality, the food…the whole experience: 10 out of 10. We will absolutely return!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We simply wanted a nice place to stay after a concert in Aurora, but the Homestead turned out to be as much a highlight of our weekend as the event for which we traveled. Floor to ceiling, library to bath, every inch is a delight for the eyes, from the extensive trompe l'oeil effects to the lovely and comfortable furnishings. When staying here, leave plenty of time to just enjoy the place - walk the grounds, check out the books, play a game, but most of all chat with your host! Mary Kay is friendly, puts one at ease and seems born to run a B&B. She is a wonderful cook, attentive to detail (ex., the yummy cookies waiting for us when we returned from the concert) and she is interesting, to boot! We could have stayed longer, just to keep talking with her. Be sure to ask her about the history of the home and its prior owners

There seem to be several nice restaurants in Plano itself, plus our drive to the larger suburb of Aurora was nothing, and downtown Chicago is only an hour.

We were awfully glad to have found the Homestead and would love a chance to visit again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2012

The Homestead offers everything I look for in a great B&B -- a beautiful historic home, innkeepers who love what they're doing, and a delicious and elegant breakfast. The house is really over the top, having been used to showcase a variety of artistic paint techniques. We got a very warm welcome from Mary Kay and Chet and enjoyed talking to them about the house and the area. The wonderful breakfast of banana bread, baked apples, eggs baked with herbs, potatoes, and good bacon had a great balance of sweet and savory. We had a really fun stay and are glad we discovered the Homestead.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Historic Homestead. Artfully decorated and wonderfully relaxing. The patio and garden areas are as beautiful as the inside of the home. Breakfast was wonderful - banana souffle with yogurt and fresh fruit. And I loved the sweet Jack Russell terrier who greeted me in the morning.

Room Tip: My room had a baseball motif with wooden bats and old catcher's mitts displayed on the wall. Esp...