“A hidden jewel of a bed and breakfast”

The Historic Homestead
Ranked #1 of 1 Plano B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The home has been magnificently restored to its former glory and yet it still manages to feel like "home". You relax in the evening with complimentary wine and cheese or homemade cookies. Breakfast has a rich variety each morning and is plentiful enough that you don't need lunch. I stay at a lot of bed and breakfasts and this is one of the best!

Room Tip: There is a suite complete with sitting room but the rest of the home is so comfortable I would by-pa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patricia R
Mary Kay S, Owner at The Historic Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful and kind words about The Homestead! We are happy to know that everything meets great standards. We look forward to having you return.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Wonderful house pluming with character!

A must stay, I must say!

Chet & Mary Kay are the best hosts and brightest characters you could ever ask to hold you up for the night. They are supremely divine at giving you complete privacy and a delicious breakfast. The artwork throughout the house is stunning and counts for only part of the houses character rich in History and decor. Each room has it's own unique character sure to visually please your taste. LOTS TO CHOOSE FROM! Best ambiance and visually pleasing Bed & Breakfast you could ask for. I would love to go back!

p.s. I wore my bathrobe every minute I was there. And I'd do it again!

Room Tip: I stayed in the suite on the first floor. It use to be Chet and Mary Kay's room until they refi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt P
Mary Kay S, Owner at The Historic Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Thank you for your kind words Matt. Chet and I enjoyed hosting the Girl's Blood cast and crew-how wonderful that The Homestead(and robes) appeals to the Millennial Generation We wish all of you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your faces, and names on the Big Screen!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

my girlfriends and i stayed here for a girls weekend and loved it!
mary kay and chet are the greatest hosts -- their warm hospitality made us feel so welcome
breakfast was delicious -- mary kay also welcomed us in the afternoon with wine and cheese, and left a plate of cookies in the evening
the home is a gem -- awesome architecture and the decor is all period appropriate and mary kay was very knowledgeable about the history of the building
she also went out of her way to provide a lot of information in advance about things for us to do (shopping, going to parks, historic sites, etc.)
extremely clean, all the details (comfy robes & slippers, rain shower heads, thick towels, etc.), comfortable -- everything was perfect!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Denise,
With so many options to choose from, thank you for selecting The Homestead for the place to get together with your friends! What a pleasure to meet you- a most inspiring woman!

Reviewed 15 November 2012

Prior to visiting The Historic Homestead this November, I had seen photographs of the interior & exterior. They did nothing to prepare me for the in-person beauty of this storied home! Each room - including bathrooms and hallways - feature the most beautiful artworkwork found this side of The Louvre, painted directly on the walls themselves. I was also blown away by the beauty of both the hardwood and ceramic tiled floors.
The impressive aesthetics of the Homestead, however, take a backseat to the warm & gracious hospitality of proprietor Mary Kay and her husband. Bubbling with personality, Mary Kay is the ultimate hostess, who has the natural gift for taking care of her guests' needs before they even ask and making them feel comfortable.
The food was elegant and excellent (I had recently gone wheat-free and did not give Mary Kay advance notice. I did not have any expectations that she would accommodate my new diet. Without being asked, she surprised me with the most delicious wheat-free breakfast I could have imagined - and I don't believe my travel companions felt they were being deprived in any way. It was, quite simply, decadent.).
On a final note, as someone who has done quite a bit of traveling in the past, my biggest concern is cleanliness and The Homestead far exceeded my expectations.
I would highly recommend this B&B not only for both couples and girls' getaways, but also special events (think retreats, reunions, meetings).

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Well...where to begin?! Some friends and I traveled to the Historic Homestead Bed & Breakfast for a relaxing weekend. It was much more than we had even anticipated. It felt like "home". The house itself was beautiful with its painted murals in each room, relaxing and peaceful if you choose to nestle up and read for awhile, and located near a few little towns that offer darling boutiques and antique stores. The breakfast served was delicious! (Not a bite left on my plate!) The first morning was my favorite...creme brûlée french toast! I am looking forward to bringing my husband for the next get-away!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just returned from a girls getaway at The Homestead and it was just what I needed! Cozy, welcomin, amazing murals and very clean! Lots of warm, inviting places to curl up with a good book or fun magazine. We enjoyed lunch in Yorkville and all the adorable boutiques and antique shops in Morris. Can't wait for a return visit - my husband might even get to come along the next time.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

We so enjoyed our stay at the Homestead on our anniversary this summer. We could not say more wonderful things about this beautiful estate. At the very least it was the cleanest, most well-kept hotel we’ve ever been to. We had never stayed in any bed and breakfast before and felt spoiled by the romantic décor and five-star hospitality. We had no idea what to expect during our stay so we brought everything but the kitchen sink only to find that all of the conveniences of home were awaiting us at the Homestead. To be completely honest, it was much more luxurious than home! Every room had a personal touch to make our stay more inviting. We also enjoyed hearing about the rich history of the Homestead, the people who lived there, and the surrounding area. The assistance they gave us with planning our daily activities during our stay was well beyond our expectations. We came from about four hours north of Plano, and were unfamiliar with the area so it was great that they had so many ideas for activities. We could have stayed a week instead of a weekend! We took the Amtrak to Chicago for ta day and had a lot of fun. The train station was only a few blocks away and had plenty of parking if needed. We were sent off that morning with a delicious banana soufflé and sausage breakfast and welcomed back at the end of a long day of walking with wine and cheese in the study, followed by a long bath in the Fox River Suite’s deep claw foot bathtub. There is so much character in this home that you will simply be amazed. It even has a labyrinth in the yard. WOW!!! We continue to recommend staying at The Homestead to any of our close friends and family. It is a great place for a romantic weekend and would also have the space for a group to have a nice retreat. We give the house, the hospitality, the food…the whole experience: 10 out of 10. We will absolutely return!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to The Historic Homestead? Share your experiences!