“The best!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Plano B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“The best!”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I had the honor of staying at The Homestead during a shoot recently, and let me just preface this review by saying: WOW! What a gem of a place! Mary Kay and Chet were absolutely fabulous hosts, always greeting us with a smile and a helping hand while putting up with our early call times and long shoot days. The rooms were all comfortable, and the food was delicious. If you ever find yourself in the lovely city of Plano, definitely give The Homestead a try! I look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt M
Mary Kay S, Owner at The Historic Homestead, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
It was my and Chet's pleasure to have you as a guest to The Homestead-we are impressed with your dedication and passion and can not wait to watch the film! All our best and we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I was looking for a peaceful place where I would be surrounded by beauty and hospitality as I planned worship for Lent and prepared myself for the Lenten season. I got that and much more at the Homestead. The beauty and uniqueness of each room, the quiet restful atmosphere and comfortable sleeping accommodations were all part of the wonderful experience, but what was most special about The Homestead was Mary Kay and Chet. From the moment I stepped through the door, I was welcomed and made to feel that they had been waiting just for me. They made me feel like they really wanted me there, and that they existed to share this special place with me. They went out of their way during the entire stay to make sure I had everything I needed. Chet worked hard to make sure the labyrinth was cleaned of snow each day. I woke to the wonderful smells of breakfast that were not the typical B&B fare, and ended each evening with the rich smell of warm lavender cookies. Mary Kay and Chet were so fun, knowing just the right balance between interaction and privacy. Mary Kay was especially helpful in suggesting places in the area to dine and visit. This place is a little treasure and Mary Kay and Chet are jewels in the treasure chest. And, it is reasonably priced. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking to be pampered.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the whole house!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Fran LL L
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a nice review! Chet and I are so glad that you found The Homestead to be a peaceful place that allowed you to relax while working to prepare for the important work you. All our best and we look forward to your return!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I recently stayed at The Homestead during a film shoot, and had a wonderful time. Mary Kay and Chet are fantastic hosts. They are very welcoming and Mary Kay made us delicious breakfast every morning! The house is full of character and history; it's fascinating. I highly recommend staying at The Homestead if you're looking for a weekend away from the city!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allie K
And we loved having you here! What a treat to be able to get to know you and the other cast and crew of Girl's Blood. We are excited to see more of you, in person and on the big screen!
Buchanan, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The home has been magnificently restored to its former glory and yet it still manages to feel like "home". You relax in the evening with complimentary wine and cheese or homemade cookies. Breakfast has a rich variety each morning and is plentiful enough that you don't need lunch. I stay at a lot of bed and breakfasts and this is one of the best!

Room Tip: There is a suite complete with sitting room but the rest of the home is so comfortable I would by-pa...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Patricia R
Mary Kay S, Owner at The Historic Homestead, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful and kind words about The Homestead! We are happy to know that everything meets great standards. We look forward to having you return.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Wonderful house pluming with character!

A must stay, I must say!

Chet & Mary Kay are the best hosts and brightest characters you could ever ask to hold you up for the night. They are supremely divine at giving you complete privacy and a delicious breakfast. The artwork throughout the house is stunning and counts for only part of the houses character rich in History and decor. Each room has it's own unique character sure to visually please your taste. LOTS TO CHOOSE FROM! Best ambiance and visually pleasing Bed & Breakfast you could ask for. I would love to go back!

p.s. I wore my bathrobe every minute I was there. And I'd do it again!

Room Tip: I stayed in the suite on the first floor. It use to be Chet and Mary Kay's room until they refi...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt P
Mary Kay S, Owner at The Historic Homestead, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Thank you for your kind words Matt. Chet and I enjoyed hosting the Girl's Blood cast and crew-how wonderful that The Homestead(and robes) appeals to the Millennial Generation We wish all of you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your faces, and names on the Big Screen!
San Diego
Reviewed 31 January 2013

my girlfriends and i stayed here for a girls weekend and loved it!
mary kay and chet are the greatest hosts -- their warm hospitality made us feel so welcome
breakfast was delicious -- mary kay also welcomed us in the afternoon with wine and cheese, and left a plate of cookies in the evening
the home is a gem -- awesome architecture and the decor is all period appropriate and mary kay was very knowledgeable about the history of the building
she also went out of her way to provide a lot of information in advance about things for us to do (shopping, going to parks, historic sites, etc.)
extremely clean, all the details (comfy robes & slippers, rain shower heads, thick towels, etc.), comfortable -- everything was perfect!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Denise,
With so many options to choose from, thank you for selecting The Homestead for the place to get together with your friends! What a pleasure to meet you- a most inspiring woman!
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Prior to visiting The Historic Homestead this November, I had seen photographs of the interior & exterior. They did nothing to prepare me for the in-person beauty of this storied home! Each room - including bathrooms and hallways - feature the most beautiful artworkwork found this side of The Louvre, painted directly on the walls themselves. I was also blown away by the beauty of both the hardwood and ceramic tiled floors.
The impressive aesthetics of the Homestead, however, take a backseat to the warm & gracious hospitality of proprietor Mary Kay and her husband. Bubbling with personality, Mary Kay is the ultimate hostess, who has the natural gift for taking care of her guests' needs before they even ask and making them feel comfortable.
The food was elegant and excellent (I had recently gone wheat-free and did not give Mary Kay advance notice. I did not have any expectations that she would accommodate my new diet. Without being asked, she surprised me with the most delicious wheat-free breakfast I could have imagined - and I don't believe my travel companions felt they were being deprived in any way. It was, quite simply, decadent.).
On a final note, as someone who has done quite a bit of traveling in the past, my biggest concern is cleanliness and The Homestead far exceeded my expectations.
I would highly recommend this B&B not only for both couples and girls' getaways, but also special events (think retreats, reunions, meetings).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plano
Hampton Inn Yorkville
Hampton Inn Yorkville
#1 of 2 in Yorkville
Super 8 Yorkville
Super 8 Yorkville
#2 of 2 in Yorkville
Timber Creek Inn & Suites
Harrison House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Historic Homestead? Share your experiences!