“Renovating for over a year - no services but nice staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Los Angeles, California
“Renovating for over a year - no services but nice staff”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed there a year ado as they were converting from a Wingate to a Holiday Inn. When I came back they are still in the same process. They failed to get the right permits or something so they can not convert to Holiday Inn yet. Rooms and hotel has been nicely renovated. No breakfast. Staff was really nice and accommodating

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ducknc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New Bern
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We arrived at midnight on a Tuesday night. We each had one room reserved. They were over sold for the number of rooms because of major construciton with stuff everywhere. The printer for the front desk was literally sitting on the tile floor. After calling 10 other hotels all of which were sold out we said we would look at the rooms which were under construction. The manager / director / owner took a master key and started opening rooms some of which had guests in them. After waking up 5 guests in different rooms my colleague and I each found rooms with comfortable beds but tons of other furniture and cofee makers etc stored everywhere. We were told that that night would be free. The rest of the stay was fine and we had clean rooms. BUT when I just checked my credit card statement they charged me for the 2 rooms I stayed in a nice room plus 4 nights (which was my original reservation).

This place should not be open for business. There is construciton and hazards everywhere. Were it not for Chicago politics they probably would not have a permit to be open during renovation. It is not going to become a Holliday Inn until January 2011. Stay away!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jonnydclark

Travellers are raving about these Prospect Heights hotels

LA
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I got stuck here with my wife by Delta. Waited one hour for a shuttle that would be there "in twenty minutes". Shuttle arrived at O'hare with no markings to indicate it was with the Wingate (how am I supposed to figure that out in the midst of a constant flow of well marked shuttles from other hotels). The shuttle guy acted like he was doing us a huge favor by coming to pick us up 40 minutes late and tried to get us to agree to pay him for an additional trip when he picked us up the next morning for the airport. Wingate had agreed to take distressed passengers with meal vouchers - but they don't have a restaurant. They suggested take out pizza or Denny's.

The hotel is under major renovation - soon to be a Holiday Inn - but should not be open and receiving guests at this time. The carpet on our floor is not laid on the floor but against every door in the hallway about a foot and a half high. It was hard to get the doors closed when the carpet flopped into your doorway every time you opened it. Dust was everywhere on the first floor - glad I didn't hang around for breakfast. I called at 3:45 am to confirm our 4 am shuttle only to be rudely told by the guy at the front desk that he didn't know anything about it. Turns out that the shuttle was there at 4:00 am, but the driver was still trying to hustle us.

Make sure you call ahead to see if the renovations are complete and do not count on their shuttle service. If Delta sends you there, you are probably reading this too late, but if not, ask for cash instead and stay in the airport overnight - you will have a better experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Distressedanddisappo
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We chose the Wingate based on reviews and price. It exceeded our expectations. The room was clean and well designed, and the bed was comfortable. The in-room coffeemaker had its own space outside the bathroom, and used coffee pods. The breakfasts were plain, but included a hot entree plus belgian waffles, cereal, bananas, yogurt, juice, coffee and pastries. There is a great Chicago style bar in the strip mall next door, along with a Denny's and excellent Mexican restaurant. Only negatives were road noise on the west side in the early AM rush hour, and redundant french toast/belgian waffle breakfast on the last day of our stay. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Southcentral Alaska
Reviewed 13 April 2009

This is the first hotel experience I've ever had that was absolutely perfect. The staff was very courteous and professional. The housecleaning services were exceptional- thorough yet respectful of guests' personal items. The continental breakfast had a surprising number of choices, including two different hot food selections every day. The road in front of the property was undergoing construction, but that should be completed later this year (2009); maintenance is performed during reasonable daytime hours. The location is in the pleasant suburbs, far enough away from the chaos of downtown Chicago to ensure a restful environment, yet close enough to area attractions to be desirable.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Buffalo Grove
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham and it was just excellent from the start! Front desk was very helpful and even offered a free lifetime fitness guest pass. As i arrived to my room it felt just like home. The rooms are very spacious and fully equiped! The next morning i steped down for what i would say a "delicious hot breakfast". After that i took advantage of my lifetime fitness pass,the place is amazing!!!!! i would definately recommend it to anyone!!!!

• Stayed March 2009
Comfort I, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites.

Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. We hope you will come back and see us again the next time you travel to the area.

Catriz Canario
California city
Reviewed 1 April 2009

The one thing i can say about this hotel is that my check in went smoothley and quickly the service is outstanding the front desk goes out of there way to help you out as much as they can. I was really hungry and the time of check in was at 12 Pm and the front desk person called this pizza place to stay open for me until i can order my food, i think , that was very generous of him. I recommend anybody that is staying in the chicago area to stay at this location, because it reallly does feel like home sweethome.!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prospect Heights
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling
Ramada Plaza Chicago North Shore
Baymont Inn & Suites Glenview
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect
Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights? Share your experiences!