“Not my cup of tea”
Review of Howtown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howtown
Howtown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howtown
newcastle under lyme
“Not my cup of tea”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Its a lovely place in a beautiful setting and Im loathe to criticise as other people staying there were very happy, some had been coming every year since the 1960's! Personally, I found it a bit controlled, I didn't mind there being no door keys, you can lock the room while you are actually in it and I guess locking a hotel room is a false security anyway as staff will have their own keys. I was not happy that I couldn't get a cup of tea at 4.30pm. There is no tea-making facility in the room and I was told the staff couldn't make me a drink after 3pm, I was in fact instructed to drive to the nearest village to get a drink by the hotel owner. I was served a drink after a brief discussion with the owner, who later apologised and said that the East European staff member hadn't realised I was a guest, this wasn't true as she had checked me in, so I think this is hotel policy but the owner chose to blame the staff member instead. We stayed on a Sunday night, where the meal (no choice on meal, you get what you are given) is always a salad and cold meat meal. I was disappointed as we paid 95.00 per head and would have expected better for the price, ( altho my spouse made the booking and was told it would be a cold meal). For a simple salad the table was covered with cutlery and glasses with not an inch of space left, we had four glasses on the table for 2 people, I ordered wine and this was brought in a 5th glass, it kind of made me feel that everything on the table was just for show and it felt very cluttered. Again was disappointed the next day when other guests commented on the delicious scones the day before, which we had not been offered or made aware of. The breakfast was good and the room beautiful with a lovely view, I think its not good value for money and probably popular with its regular guests, but I cant imagine it gets much new repeat business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carina e

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were given a voucher for a stay here as a wedding gift and had the most wonderful experience! As a couple in our 30s we brought the average guest age down a couple of decades but it was lovely not be surrounded by the Mummy and Daddy brigade for a change - sorry guys but this place is not for kids!!
Huge comfy beds in a beautiful peaceful location, the Howtown is like the hotel that time forgot! No email, fax, wifi; you have to ring for a reservation and then write to confirm. We had pre-dinner drinks in the gorgeous bar, the wine list and their knowledge is exceptional. When the gong bangs you are shown to your allocated table and given a few choices per course. I was reliably told by other guests who visit year after year that the menu has a pattern depending on the day of the week. The food was simple, elegant yet very well cooked and the service excellent. After eating they serve you coffee in a variety of lounges where you can chat to other guests and while away the hours.
This hotel is for those who enjoy peace, good traditional cooking, socialising and fine wine. It is not for those who are fussy eaters or like their location to be a bit lively.
Expect to dress appropriately for dinner and get the best nights sleep!!

Room Tip: The front rooms had the best view. There are self catering cottages that are more suitable for famil...
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anna G
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

It all depends on what you want. I don’t actually want to be a number in an impersonal hotel. I don’t like having to serve myself breakfast and to have to queue to make my own toast on those horrible toasters. I don’t like being sealed into a boxroom. I like having a pot of tea, made with tea – leaves, and served in china cups. I see dining as a social event and like to nod to and acknowledge other diners and maybe catch up on the days events. I like to sit in a comfortable lounge and wait for the gong to tell me dinner/breakfast is served. I like having coffee on the lawn, looking at the lake as the sun begins to go down. I like paying by cheque – without having to hand over my credit card as soon as I cross the threshold. I love beautifully well prepared food, locally sourced, professionally served, in a beautiful setting. I love sleeping in a quiet peaceful hotel, with the window open all night on a bed with crisp linen and fluffy pillows. If you want this too, then go to Howtown. If you don’t there are plenty of places nearby that will meet your needs.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ang5050
St Albans, UK.
Reviewed 18 August 2013

If you're wearing walking boots, expect to be sent round the back to the tiny public bar next to the kitchens. Afternoon tea served from 3.30 but no scones left by 4.30. Our pot of tea was so delayed we worried we'd miss the last boat back to Glenridding. The manager brusquely shouted that they had a lot more people to serve at the front and attempted to justify the walking boots rule by arguing that I wouldn't wants people's boots on my front carpet either. But then I'm not running a hotel. However the tea and biscuits were good and plentiful, even if I did have to ask for an extra teacup through the kitchen window and no tea strainer could be found. And when we enquired about the evening menu, the manager even invited us in onto the precious carpet, still in our walking boots. Easy to imagine that Sybil must have had a word with him. An extra star for the tea and amusement. A reminder of how England used to be.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wgc131
Manchester,UK
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at the Howtown - what a pleasant suprise! It is a bit like stepping back in time, and is far more suited for those who in the 60+ year brackets and who enjoy the sedantry way of life... The evening meals are served from 7pm and a gong is sounded. You are given a choice of 2 starters, soup, maybe 4/5 main courses and 4/5 desserts or cheeses...all the food is freshly prepared, served piping hot by staff dressed in long black dresses with white pinnies,,but it all adds to the feel of the place (food is tasty too).. A small bar area with local beer and lager on tap and a host of spirits to choose from.. There are 4 lounges to sit in at night and take drinks from the bar and go and relax and chat to the other guests. We stayed in Room 9.. a spacious double..comfy bed (with blankets not quilts), large wardrobe and lots of storage space, and a big bathroom with a shower attached to the taps, plenty of piping hot water..the views from the hotel are stunning - summer meadows, hills, mountains and lake Ullswater. The ferry point is only a few minutes walk where you can get a ferry to Glenridding or Pooley bridge - the full round trip is about 140 minutes and you can get on and off as many times as you like. This is only a small hotel but my hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves..Ps..the full breakfast was the nicest I have ever had away from home...

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel - there are some rooms in a seperate building - only 20yds or so fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NavyBoyMum
Piddletrenthide, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We went here for dinner with friends. What a wonderful experience. A lovely welcome from the staff and good old fashioned cooking. Delicious! After a fantastic walk along the lake from Howtown to Glenridding and a trip back on one of the Ulswater Steamers in late afternoon sunshine, this is just what you needed. Service was excellent. A gem!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wayne B
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Hi all

If you are going to do the steamers or the walk back from howtown.
Then pop in to this little bar at the back of the howtown hotel now I have read some reviews and I guess i can understand what they say about food ect but this hotel is different so don't go there expecting pub grub just go for the bar and the garden it's lovely for a couple of beers before starting your walk we had great weather all week so enjoyed going there a couple of times.....
3 quid a pint good weather what more do you want.

All staff friendly we are intrigued so we are going to spend a couple of nights.....

Remember not a normal hotel you have access only to the bar and garden not to the hotel
Go and enjoy a beer and relax

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank john w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howtown
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,462 reviews

Been to Howtown Hotel? Share your experiences!