“Small lake district hotel in Idyllic location offering sixties hospitality”
Review of Howtown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howtown
Howtown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howtown
Cumbrian
“Small lake district hotel in Idyllic location offering sixties hospitality”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We visited the Hotel as a party of six recently for dinner just to experience what makes this small Lake District Hotel so popular. It soon became apparent that this is no ordinary corporate style hotel but a unique country house that has been run by Mrs Baldry assisted by her son, in the same style for over 50 years. The Hotel is situated in an idyllic location on the quiet and relatively unspoilt side of Lake Ullswater, where in common with the hotel very little has changed in half a century. In fact this works in the hotels favour which mainly attracts repeat middle aged visitors who don’t like change and appreciate the simple farm house style home made food, and good old fashioned hospitality. However it also appeals to those that just want to escape modern life for a few days and appreciate life’s simpler pleasures of a bygone age before the internet and mobile phones. Here they can completely relax and not only enjoy the glorious countryside, but discuss the day’s events with their fellow guests in the cosy bar, or in one of the many comfortable lounges. Though our meal wasn’t gourmet standard it was relatively inexpensive and good value and we all thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience of being transported back to the sixties for an evening. I know this hotel is not perfect and will not suit everybody, but these type of establishments with real character are disappearing and it is well worth a visit, before Mrs Baldry, who is in her eighties decides to retire.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Newtongate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This was a return visit to the Howtown Hotel, our previous one being 24 years earlier. We thought we'd grab a bowl of soup before setting off on our walk to Glenridding. We went into the small deadly-quiet public bar at the back of the hotel, which already contained some folk who, like us, had alighted the mid-morning ferry at the nearby pier (there was no sign at the pier to indicate the location of the hotel). We tried to open a door that led to the adjacent more roomy carpeted lounge bar, but it was locked. We found a couple of seats in the public bar but no menus were to be seen anywhere. After a long wait at the bar, a young lady eventually appeared. I asked if soup was available. She answered "We only have sandwiches". I asked about the type of sandwiches and she read from a hidden handwritten list pinned to the wall behind the bar. I ordered two sandwiches & two drinks and handed her the cash (credit cards not accepted) which went into, what looked to be, a large Victorian till. When the sandwiches were ready, the young lady called out and I went to the bar to collect them. The sandwiches were very tasty despite being over-priced. The atmosphere in the bar was wake-like. If the owner of the hotel reads this review (most unlikely), I would recommend:- 1. Type up some menus (to include soup and a selection of other hot food?) and put them on each of the tables. 2. Extend a warmer welcome by opening up the carpeted lounge bar (you could request people remove footwear) 3. Play some easy-to-listen-to background music to give the place a bit of atmosphere (Mozart or Chopin would be perfect). 4. Deliver food orders to the tables rather than asking guests to collect their food from the bar 5 Accept credit cards (it's the 21st century) 6 Place a sign by the pier exit saying "This way to the Howtown Hotel"

The hotel could be so much better than it is. As soon as you walk through the door you get a feel of "I think I'm unwelcome". We may return there in another 24 years..but we fully expect nothing will have changed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank gustardwood
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were planning to come for dinner at the Howtown Hotel with some family staying from America as a special treat. We were in the area and decided to pop in quickly to enquire about menus and have a look around, however we were greeted by a decidedly grumpy and snobbish gentleman.
We were just about to set off for a walk and so were in our walking clothes, he refused to let us look in the dining room when we requested just to pop our head round the corner to have a look at the setup. Absolutely unbelievable! We got a distinctly snobbish and frosty impression from this gentleman which basically put us off completely from coming!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank kathrynwest12345
newcastle under lyme
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Its a lovely place in a beautiful setting and Im loathe to criticise as other people staying there were very happy, some had been coming every year since the 1960's! Personally, I found it a bit controlled, I didn't mind there being no door keys, you can lock the room while you are actually in it and I guess locking a hotel room is a false security anyway as staff will have their own keys. I was not happy that I couldn't get a cup of tea at 4.30pm. There is no tea-making facility in the room and I was told the staff couldn't make me a drink after 3pm, I was in fact instructed to drive to the nearest village to get a drink by the hotel owner. I was served a drink after a brief discussion with the owner, who later apologised and said that the East European staff member hadn't realised I was a guest, this wasn't true as she had checked me in, so I think this is hotel policy but the owner chose to blame the staff member instead. We stayed on a Sunday night, where the meal (no choice on meal, you get what you are given) is always a salad and cold meat meal. I was disappointed as we paid 95.00 per head and would have expected better for the price, ( altho my spouse made the booking and was told it would be a cold meal). For a simple salad the table was covered with cutlery and glasses with not an inch of space left, we had four glasses on the table for 2 people, I ordered wine and this was brought in a 5th glass, it kind of made me feel that everything on the table was just for show and it felt very cluttered. Again was disappointed the next day when other guests commented on the delicious scones the day before, which we had not been offered or made aware of. The breakfast was good and the room beautiful with a lovely view, I think its not good value for money and probably popular with its regular guests, but I cant imagine it gets much new repeat business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carina e
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were given a voucher for a stay here as a wedding gift and had the most wonderful experience! As a couple in our 30s we brought the average guest age down a couple of decades but it was lovely not be surrounded by the Mummy and Daddy brigade for a change - sorry guys but this place is not for kids!!
Huge comfy beds in a beautiful peaceful location, the Howtown is like the hotel that time forgot! No email, fax, wifi; you have to ring for a reservation and then write to confirm. We had pre-dinner drinks in the gorgeous bar, the wine list and their knowledge is exceptional. When the gong bangs you are shown to your allocated table and given a few choices per course. I was reliably told by other guests who visit year after year that the menu has a pattern depending on the day of the week. The food was simple, elegant yet very well cooked and the service excellent. After eating they serve you coffee in a variety of lounges where you can chat to other guests and while away the hours.
This hotel is for those who enjoy peace, good traditional cooking, socialising and fine wine. It is not for those who are fussy eaters or like their location to be a bit lively.
Expect to dress appropriately for dinner and get the best nights sleep!!

Room Tip: The front rooms had the best view. There are self catering cottages that are more suitable for famil...
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anna G
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

It all depends on what you want. I don’t actually want to be a number in an impersonal hotel. I don’t like having to serve myself breakfast and to have to queue to make my own toast on those horrible toasters. I don’t like being sealed into a boxroom. I like having a pot of tea, made with tea – leaves, and served in china cups. I see dining as a social event and like to nod to and acknowledge other diners and maybe catch up on the days events. I like to sit in a comfortable lounge and wait for the gong to tell me dinner/breakfast is served. I like having coffee on the lawn, looking at the lake as the sun begins to go down. I like paying by cheque – without having to hand over my credit card as soon as I cross the threshold. I love beautifully well prepared food, locally sourced, professionally served, in a beautiful setting. I love sleeping in a quiet peaceful hotel, with the window open all night on a bed with crisp linen and fluffy pillows. If you want this too, then go to Howtown. If you don’t there are plenty of places nearby that will meet your needs.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ang5050
St Albans, UK.
Reviewed 18 August 2013

If you're wearing walking boots, expect to be sent round the back to the tiny public bar next to the kitchens. Afternoon tea served from 3.30 but no scones left by 4.30. Our pot of tea was so delayed we worried we'd miss the last boat back to Glenridding. The manager brusquely shouted that they had a lot more people to serve at the front and attempted to justify the walking boots rule by arguing that I wouldn't wants people's boots on my front carpet either. But then I'm not running a hotel. However the tea and biscuits were good and plentiful, even if I did have to ask for an extra teacup through the kitchen window and no tea strainer could be found. And when we enquired about the evening menu, the manager even invited us in onto the precious carpet, still in our walking boots. Easy to imagine that Sybil must have had a word with him. An extra star for the tea and amusement. A reminder of how England used to be.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wgc131
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howtown
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Penrith Hotel
Travelodge Penrith
Travelodge Penrith
#8 of 10 in Penrith

Been to Howtown Hotel? Share your experiences!