“Refused Service Entirely, Sent Us Out on the Street.”

Super 8 Rock Falls Sterling Area
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rock Falls
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Please bear with me, I know this is somewhat lengthy.

I don't ever write reviews on hotels. Frankly, I cannot remember the last time I posted anything online. I usually stay at a hotel, mind my own business, and continue on. Even in the worst experiences, I let it be, and let bygones be bygones.

Now, I'm not going to say anything negative about someone's character here. It looks to be a family owned business, and I imagine the owner is used to doing things a certain way. I have a family business, so I begin from a place of sympathy.

I booked my room on Priceline. Priceline didn't allow me to choose between a king bed or a double queen. We needed a double, but I understood the risk. Upon entering the hotel, I kindly asked if we could make the room a double room. The owner tried to gouge the price by an extra $15 per night, and said there was no option for a cot. I said that I had stayed at a number of super 8s through Priceline, and never had I been refused a double room, or had been surprise charged with extra upon request. He wouldn't budge.

I then said that I thought it wasn't necessarily a good judgement call; either you could squeeze extra money out of us now, or ebb on the side of customer satisfaction, and I would plan on staying there again sometime. I mentioned that this is the service industry, and I would hope he would make the right choice, considering customer satisfaction is the most important of all. Suddenly, out of nowhere, not only did he still refuse to back down on the price gouge, he refused us staying in the hotel all together, sending us packing on the street. We were left with a pre paid room, and a hotel owner who wouldn't let us stay, either out of stubbornness, spite, or both. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels in my lifetime, and not once have I been cast out in the street for calmly challenging a customer service decision. Isn't it in my right to have a constructive opinion?

I apologize for the long winded comment. Priceline called the owner to try and work it out. He still refused us any service. I couldn't believe it. Priceline was kind enough to go against policy and refund us. They were as surprised as we were. We went next door to the Candlewood, and so far, it has been great.

I'm not saying don't stay here. It seems like others have a satisfactory stay. I'm just passing on an experience, and my words of caution. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. However, if the owner of a hotel is capable of doing this once, I imagine it will happen again sometime in the future.

John

Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The room was smaller than most, but the appointments were more than adequate and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful, the location convenient and quiet. Overall a good stay at a very reasonable rate. Give them a chance the next time you are in town and need a quality stay on a budget!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel is right off the highway and was easy to find. The room was nice for the money I spent. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was the third time we have stayed at this hotel. It is an older property, nothing fancy, but new paint, new beds and very clean. We stayed in a smoking room, and yes, you can tell it's a smoking room as soon as you walk in. If you are a smoker but don't like the smell, maybe stay in a non smoking room and going outside to smoke would be an option. Staff is very friendly. Breakfast area is a little small, but very clean and orderly. Waffles, cold cereal, packaged cinnamon rolls, toast, coffee, orange and apple juices and banana's. I would like to see them add fruit cocktail, peaches or pears. Beds are very comfortable and provide a very good nights rest. For $60, it is a good deal. If you're looking for something fancier, I would suggest going next door, but you will pay over $100 a night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Yes there were new beds but the rest of the hotel is very old and not clean feeling. There was so much furniture in our room you couldn't hang anything on the rack used to hang items. Ok place but would stay there on purpose. Price was good however checked out one hour late and they charged us for a full day.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Quality Inn and Suites Dixon
All Seasons Motel
All Seasons Motel
#4 of 6 in Rock Falls

Been to Super 8 Rock Falls Sterling Area? Share your experiences!