“Just ok”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rock Falls
Seattle, Washington
“Just ok”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our room was clean, if showing its age. The room was non-smoking, but the hallway was very smoky and pretty dirty. There was one plug in for a device, near a chair, but none by the desk. In this age of multiple devices, we had to pull out the desk, unplug the fridge (not a loss, really) and use the chair and bathroom too. If you put your phone on top of the ice maker, it works, sort of.
Breakfast was the usual grain, grain, grain, sugar, (yoplait yoghurt, which is half sugar) and waffles (grain and sugar both) with styrofoam, which I won't use. There were bananas at least. Why do people put up with this? It's a horrible breakfast, especially when you are traveling and I refuse to use styrofoam. Why aren't other people refusing?

Room Tip: A room on the second floor will get you away from the smoke, but there is no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've struggled writing this review because I don't like to say anything negative. The people were friendly and helpful. We had a non-smoking room which was perfectly as expected. Nothing special and reasonably clean without an unpleasant odor. The thing that moved me from an average to a poor rating is the strong smell of disinfectant in the lobby and hallways when I checked in and, at another point there seemed to be a mix of popcorn or something and disinfectant (which I realize the popcorn wasn't the hotel's fault, but it was definitely not contained in whatever room it belonged). I think given the price we paid for the hotel, I expected a bit more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Rock Falls hotels

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was surprised at how clean everything looked and smelled. Beds were very comfortable. Customer service was excellent. There was a bit of lack of hot water around 10 pm. Staff was very helpful in finding us options for food at 10 pm

• Stayed May 2014
Kansas
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel again on April 20, 2014. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable. This is an older property that they do very well with keeping it up. Breakfast area is small, but clean. Breakfast consists of waffles, fruit, toast, packaged cinnamon rolls, cold cereals, coffee and juice. We have stayed here three other times and have always been happy with the room for what we pay. This stay cost us around $48. The manager, Julia Scott does her best to keep this property well maintained. Very good overall experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Please bear with me, I know this is somewhat lengthy.

I don't ever write reviews on hotels. Frankly, I cannot remember the last time I posted anything online. I usually stay at a hotel, mind my own business, and continue on. Even in the worst experiences, I let it be, and let bygones be bygones.

Now, I'm not going to say anything negative about someone's character here. It looks to be a family owned business, and I imagine the owner is used to doing things a certain way. I have a family business, so I begin from a place of sympathy.

I booked my room on Priceline. Priceline didn't allow me to choose between a king bed or a double queen. We needed a double, but I understood the risk. Upon entering the hotel, I kindly asked if we could make the room a double room. The owner tried to gouge the price by an extra $15 per night, and said there was no option for a cot. I said that I had stayed at a number of super 8s through Priceline, and never had I been refused a double room, or had been surprise charged with extra upon request. He wouldn't budge.

I then said that I thought it wasn't necessarily a good judgement call; either you could squeeze extra money out of us now, or ebb on the side of customer satisfaction, and I would plan on staying there again sometime. I mentioned that this is the service industry, and I would hope he would make the right choice, considering customer satisfaction is the most important of all. Suddenly, out of nowhere, not only did he still refuse to back down on the price gouge, he refused us staying in the hotel all together, sending us packing on the street. We were left with a pre paid room, and a hotel owner who wouldn't let us stay, either out of stubbornness, spite, or both. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels in my lifetime, and not once have I been cast out in the street for calmly challenging a customer service decision. Isn't it in my right to have a constructive opinion?

I apologize for the long winded comment. Priceline called the owner to try and work it out. He still refused us any service. I couldn't believe it. Priceline was kind enough to go against policy and refund us. They were as surprised as we were. We went next door to the Candlewood, and so far, it has been great.

I'm not saying don't stay here. It seems like others have a satisfactory stay. I'm just passing on an experience, and my words of caution. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. However, if the owner of a hotel is capable of doing this once, I imagine it will happen again sometime in the future.

John

O'Connell's Yogi Bear Park
All Seasons Motel
All Seasons Motel
#4 of 6 in Rock Falls

Been to Super 8 Rock Falls Sterling Area? Share your experiences!