“Wished we could have stayed”

Jumers Casino Hotel
Yorkville, IL
“Wished we could have stayed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Not family friendly. Very Nice Nonsmoking Casino Resort. Tried to go to the Buffet for Dinner after time at a nearby ski resort, unfortunately, the Buffet is located on the casino floor and therefore you cannot bring anyone inside who is not of legal age. Wished we knew that before driving there, and nothing is posted on their website to that fact. Just a disappointment. We did not stay, couldn't find any other restaurants off the lobby area. The hotel looks lovely and very upscale. It was very crowded Saturday 2/11/12 in the early eve 5pm.

Room Tip: Reserve via phone well in advance.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank kjlicht

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Western New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I've stayed at Jumer's three times... twice in the last year. I don't gamble much, but when traveling, I do tend to stay in casino/hotels a lot because the rates I get on hotel rooms at these places are often quite good. Jumer's offers comfortable, modern rooms at a fair price.

In my view the best thing about Jumer's is the sports bar in the middle of the casino. They have more than a dozen big screen TV's stacked up over the bar with comfortable chairs you can lounge in after a long day's drive. And the drinks are dirt cheap. Beefeater's on the rocks, for example for $2.25. Wine and beer for less than $2. I mean really cheap. Also cheap plastic glassware, but hey, it's a nice place to watch the game. The one thing they could do to improve this would be to have some mechanism for ordering food at the bar. Right now, to eat you have to go to one of their restaurants....and I do mean one of THEIR restaurants, because there is really nothing else available in the area where this hotel is situated.

I have not tried their steakhouse, because it is very pricey (though probably not for a casino steakhouse). I ate at their old cafe, which had good food (though nothing fancy). On my last trip through Rock Island however, their cafe was closed for renovation. The management says that it is being replaced with a much nicer facility... we'll have to wait and see.

Without the cafe available, one could either grab a sandwich at a Starbucks-like place or frequent their buffet. Now, honestly, I hate buffets. And the buffet at Jumer's did nothing to endear these places to me. True, I did eat fairly late, but the food generally lukewarm, bland, and of pretty low quality (very tough beef, for example). I wasn't particularly disappointed by this because I really wasn't expecting anything better. But it will be very nice to have the cafe open again the next time I'm through town.

So I wouldn't let the negative reviews here scare you away from Jumer's. It looks fairly new, it's absolutely clean, the rooms are comfortable, and if you go on the right day, you can get a pretty decent deal. It's not Vegas. However the vibe of the casino is about right... there is some sense of excitement alive in the place. I would not go a long way out of my way to stay here, but I travel this route a couple of times a year, and I'll stay at Jumer's again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jahansen
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

You can sum this place up like this - a lame attempt at a Vegas type casino. Booked 3 rooms months in advance. Called back twice to confirm, showed up to check in and they couldn't find my reservations. They became rude with me instantly. Rooms are not sound proof. Bathrooms are a giant light bulb with no privacy. If you have to go in the middle of the night just flip on the mega LED bathroom and your friends can wake listen to you have a bowl movement. As an encore they can watch you in the morning clean up inside the silhouette shower. This summarizes my experience, got back to the hotel after dinner with friends and there was a wedding group waiting in the lobby of the casino. I then tried to get into the casino and they denied me, said I was intoxicated, watched me "wobble up" to the entrance, apparently from the wedding that held there. I laughed thinking they were joking but they weren't. I became pretty annoyed since I had booked a room there and wasn't even drinking. The half wits taking IDs apparently thought I was with the wedding. I then learned they wouldn't even allow the wedding party into the casino after they paid them to have it there and none of the people from the wedding looked even remotely drunk, obnoxious or even loud. I know this since I was sober. My heart goes out to the couple that held the reception there and took it in the rear from that place. D. James Jumer would be embarrassed if he knew what type of 3rd rate place they've created in Rock Island. Save your money, fly to VEGAS, at least they know how to take care of people there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
28 Thank Patrick W
Walcott, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had our wedding reception at Jumer's on January 14th 2012. The security staff went out of their way to harass our guests and not allow them in the casino. They were asking people waiting to get in if they had been at the wedding reception, then would turn them away. I was the Groom and was treated horrible by the staff, as was members of our families including the Father of the Bride. We had members of our wedding party treated so bad that they checked out of the hotel and left. It has almost been a month and Jumer's has still done nothing, even though dozens of people left comment cards, emailed and called them to complain.
Do not have your wedding reception here.

We did however enjoy the bed in the room.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
32 Thank Rob F
Wapello, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

the hotel is great, clean, good t.v., ammenities. only prob. w/ room is that some of the guests are quite noisy. pool is small but great exercise rm. and equipment. food is great at buffet esp. on fri. and sat. (seafood nights) and relatively inexpensive. casino usually has great comps. What I love best about whole experience is: ALL NONSMOKING.only bad thing is the buffet is not open to children.

Room Tip: get toward middle of hallway if you can that way don't havea GREAT distance to walk to food vend...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Carol G
Rochelle, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed here for a free night - room was very new and exceptionally nice! Casino was great as it is non-smoking. We also enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Butffet was average for Sunday night but breakfast at $5.99 was really good and well worth the price. Overall, I'd highly recommend Jumer's!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Wilton, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed one night the first week of January in a king size room on a comp. Very modern room, clean and quiet. We love the big walk in shower. Comfortable bed. The steak house on site is expensive for the quality. The buffet is great though. The entire facility is non smoking, including the casino, which brings us here frequently from Iowa. There is a small but clean indoor pool and hot tub. The spa is only average, my wife prefers the spa at Riverside Casino in Iowa.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rock Island
Isle Casino Hotel Bettendorf
Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities
Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel

Been to Jumers Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!