“Stick to the Menu”

Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Park Ridge, Illinois
“Stick to the Menu”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is my 3rd time here. Stick with their usual fare. We chose the Special of the Day: Prime Rib, described by the waiter as unbelievably good. I don't know how old this steer was or the rating of the meat, but all 4 of us that ordered in our group of 8 had hard tissue and gristle throughout. Where is the quality control here...all 4 pieces!

When I mentioned it to the waiter, they offered to pay for our 2 coffees, 4 sodas and two glasses of wine. There was no attempt to offer something else for those with dull teeth who couldn't eat it, or an offer for a free entre on a repeat visit (they need to learn some business sense).

I'm a home beer brewer and appreciate their goal to be a known brewpub, but they should know better to venture into unknown territory.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank mdfam1

Peoria, Illinois
“Great menu - friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We went for dinner - recommended by the KOA - and were not disappointed at all. Nice selection
on the menu and very friendly server offering good suggestions. My friends had the recommended BLT and I went for the brisket sandwich. Generous portions and nice
variety of sides included. All happy campers with our choices.

• Visited September 2013
“Just okay”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Rock Island must have some bad restaurants for this one to be #6, because it is really nothing special. The first thing I noticed was that this place needs a facelift. Everything looks dated and sort of dull and dusty. Behind the bar there is a whiteboard with the beers written on it--kind of tacky. I didn't try any of the beers. My companion had three and he seemed to enjoy them. but beware, if your palette is used to light beers like coors, bud, or miller, their home brews will be much too heavy for you. I ordered the French onion soup to start with and it was pretty good. I've had better, but it was tasty and i finished most of it and you get a good sized bowl. The side salad was average. I ordered a pulled pork dish served over cornbread with coleslaw. When my dinner arrived I was somewhat disappointed at the presentation. It was all in a bowl, just kind of slopped in there carelessly, with a HUGE scoop of coleslaw on top. There was more coleslaw than pork! The pork was okay, I've had worse, but I've also had much better. I just wish there was a little more of it. My companion ordered the cornbread jalapeno catfish. Thankfully he ordered the sauce on the side, because it wasn't good. All it tasted like was sugary jalapeño. It had no complexity of flavor that you look for in a good sauce. The
catfish was okay, the cornbread batter on it gave it a nice crispness and it had a well cooked side of vegetables. Everything came to about 50 bucks--this place wasn't the worst, but for a 50 dollar dinner I expect a little bit better quality. This place looks like it needs a facelift and to kick up the food a few notches. It has the potential to be a good restaurant, but its just missing the mark.

• Visited September 2013
Akron, Ohio, United States
“Good food and beer in the heartland”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I ate at the Blue Cat two years ago when I was in Rock Island for a conference, and had a fantastic meal (salad and fish) and great beer. When we planned the itinerary for our cross-country road trip this year, returning to the Blue Cat was one of the main factors (along with distance driven and the chance for a romantic stroll along the Mississippi) in our decision to stop overnight in Rock Island. The place did not disappoint. The walleye was very tasty and the beers were very good. We don't eat meat, poultry, or shellfish, and we try to eat healthy meals, and have had some awful experiences trying to find what we need in the "heartland," but the Blue Cat certainly met all of our requirements!

• Visited June 2013
Bettendorf, Iowa
“Excellent Food. Great Beer.”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I wouldn't say The Blue Cat is a "best kept secret" but it doesn't get the credit it deserves (which is good for us who don't like to stand in long lines). Simply put, Blue Cat offers one of the best menus in the Quad Cities for good-tasting, quality food. You've got to try their grilled Ahi Tuna sandwich with aoli, tomato and sprouts. If not that, then about anything else on the menu. If you are a seafood lover, then go that route.

Visited February 2013