“Poor Facilities”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rock Island
Fort Worth, Texas
“Poor Facilities”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel overnight 3 times this summer. In May and July we were on the club floor (7 & 8). This stay we were on the 5th floor. In general the hallways are dingy and look like they are going to be updated but it has looked like this since last year.

The 5th floor was obviously a smoking floor, you could tell the minute you got off the elevator. Our toilet didn't work when we got to the room so we reported it before going to dinner. 2 hours later it still didn't work. In fact after reporting it a second and third time it still wasn't fix.

Upon complaining for a second time that I had to come to the lobby to go to the bathroom, the Front Desk clerk, James Huber (I think) removed the room charge. So he provide what I thought was the only proper response.

Since we had to use the bath towels to mop up the toilet overflow, we needed more. Since we were running a marathon that morning the Front Desk clerk told us to just stop back at the front desk and request towels. We did this only to be told that we have to find a maid and get them from her. I was not pleased that the hotel's problem was now mine to solve. That coupled with returning to the room to find and smell poop from the toilet that wasn't working drove me to my breaking point.

I am a loyal Priority Club member but will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Janine W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Janine W,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to write us a review. I want to assure you that we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the staff service received and for the inconvenience you experienced with the room accommodations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We had a very nice experience at this hotel. It could use a spruce up, but it looks like they're doing that now. Staff was excellent in all our contacts with them. We also attended a wedding there and the service was outstanding as was the food. Overall a very good hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
HolidayInnRIQC, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 13 October 2015
Thank you so much for your recent stay and review! I am so happy to see that you had such an enjoyable stay!

Shannon K
Guest Service Manager
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I enjoy staying downtown Rock Island because of the great cigar lounge the city has to offer. The rooms in this hotel are coming around nicely. They are always clean with very nice flatscreens and the usual brand expectations.

The common areas are average but the shuttle service and customer service are above the level of most in its class. As they continue to renovate this hotel will move into a better class. To be perfectly clear I stay here every time I am in the area. I am merely pointing out the areas where it could improve. As for now it is the best value for lodging and benefits from a central location for the restaurants and bars in the Moline/Rock Island area.

Room Tip: High floors offer potential views of the bridge and Mississippi River.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your recent stay and review of our property! We have finished the remodel on our lobby and front desk area. As you mentioned we are constantly updating, so thank you so much for you patience and continued loyalty!

Shannon K
Guest Service Manager
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed here for a friend's wedding in August 2012. I reserved a room on the "Executive" floor. Arriving on Friday at around noon, I was informed my room was not ready. They didn't offer any consolation or an expected time it would be ready. But my friend who was getting married there needed my help, so I didn't give it another thought. We met with the banquet manager and she was great, saying and doing all the things we needed her to. When I came back later to check in, it went smoothly with a friendly front desk and a nice little gift bag with snacks and water for priority club members. You need to use your room key to get to the "Executive Floor (EF)", but when I got off, I thought I was in the service area. The door to the service elevator was open and the hallway was in such rough shape, I thought I was in the basement or something. This is a really old Sheraton Hotel and this floor USED to have an executive lounge, but now it's just an empty dark space, which is a weird contrast to the narrow hallway with creepy lime green wall paper, filthy carpeting and no baseboards.
Arriving at my room I found the door was not closed all the way, which made me cautious, but I found out later, it's very hard to close all the way. Which is a serious security issue. Upon inspection I found the room to extremely worn and thread bare. The carpet filthy, the furniture looked as if it was new in 1982 and had suffered years of teenage boys. But there were no bugs, a big flat screen tv, a view of.....IOWA, and a fridge. All I needed for two nights.

About the room, it was indeed worn, but I have to admit I did have two good nights of sleep. The bed was comfortable, the AC worked well and the wireless internet was fast enough to stream netflix. The most gross thing was on the second day, instead of cleaning the coffee pot and leaving me more coffee, house keeping left me the lovely gift of a toilet bush in a big gulp cup right next to the coffee maker, mmmm. What a treat.

I visited the Bennigans in the hotel four times on this stay. Service was fair to poor each time. Even when we were only having one beer I had to convince the barmaid to please bring us a beer (there were about 8 people in the whole place). The last time, I ordered a gin and tonic, the waiter said, i don't think we have that.... . Each time I went in the floor was really slimey and so were all the windows. Made me wonder if the health department does inspections here, ever.

While the wedding was lovely, the ballroom was sad. You could see it had been beautiful in maybe the late 60's, but had never been updated except for the rope lighting (missing multiple sections) around the unwashed mirrors.

I was assigned the task of checking the Bride and Groom into the hotel, which I was happy to do. It took far longer than it needed, and the front desk seemed to have no idea who they were. The "suite" they assigned them was a very simple basic room, it's only adornment was a mini fridge on a wobbly table covered with a stained white towel. There was a door to an adjoining conference room. There was a round table of bare weathered wood, one bare banquet table and some miss matched chairs. Not exactly the bridal suite I was expecting. When I returned to the front desk to check, they seemed clueless again and surprised I had an issue with it. I asked that they at least put some tablecloths on those bare tables and all I got were blank looks.

The biggest complaint I have with this hotel are the security issues. The doors that don't quite latch are a serious problem. The parking situation is worse. The Hotel is situated on a corner with a major bus stop. Across the street is a municipal parking garage. If the very small hotel lot is full, you have to park in the creepy garage across the street. There are many homeless types in and around the hotel arrival area, parking lot, and on the sidewalks surrounding the hotel and parking garage. There is no visible security whatsoever. I'm comfortable in most urban areas, but having some many homeless types lurking about and watching me while I was coming and going made me very nervous. I'm glad I didn't have to go anywhere at night.

I would not stay here again. Ever.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, maybe in Iowa.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank DTTAMPA
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Dear DTTAMPA,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
North Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

When I made this reservation, I though that it would be nice to upgrade to the Parlor Suite…It sounded nice and the pictures looked nice as well. Once we got there we were given two separate keys, for our two separate rooms..? Apparently when you reserve the “Parlor Suite” all you are getting are a higher floor room with drywall work being done and two adjoining rooms. On their website they really make it out to seem like it is something special..not worth it!

My fiancé and I went out for the night and got back around nine, when we got to the room we could hear all of the drunk people across the street yelling and screaming, we both agreed that it was still early and would probably stop soon.. NOPE! It doesn’t, ever! Its constant yelling and arguments outside of the bar! On top of that if you look out the window for more than thirteen seconds you will see a cop car more than once patrolling the area, my guess is something happens quite frequently at that bar…That’s comforting!

Finally, once we fell asleep which was nearly impossible, around 3AM someone was knocking on our door so loudly it was scary, when I say knocking I mean slamming their hand against the door so hard the picture on the wall was shaking. Then once I yelled at them to stop, they yelled back wanting me to let them in! Obviously the person was drunk and lost and his friends came and yelled at him as well. Regardless it was not the best way to get woken up in the middle of the night. Why even bother trying to go back to sleep. And if you try and call the front desk you can plan on waiting for it to ring three hundred times before someone answers.

I will say that out of the entire trip the only thing that was good was when I contacted the manager and told her what had happened, she was very accommodating and sincere as well as apologetic. Overall, it was the worst stay, I truly would have slept better in my car outside of an insane asylum. The location is the worst possible, the food was equally terrible and the cleanliness is absent. The staff seems to be the only good thing here.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank John C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear John C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with our facilities and services as well as the neighborhood and the issues you had with the noise. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

We appreciate your feedback and your business.

Karen C
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

This Holiday Inn is clean but needs refurbishment. The rooms are small. The fixtures are dated. Some parts look unfinished (no baseboard trim in the hallway). The staff is friendly and courteous although they tweaked one of my pet peeves by only enabling our room keys for 1 night even though we had a 3 night reservation.

The shower water pressure is low although the water is plenty hot. The shower head is too low for convenient use for taller people (over 5'10").

In our room the outlet on the desk lamp was non-functional. A plug could not be inserted into it. The entry way light was burned out.

Even though we were on the "secure" floor - which is equipped like a concierge floor there was no added service or benefits. Only thing I could see is we go the additional annoyance of having to use the room key in the elevator to enable access to the floor.

This isn't an inexpensive Holiday Inn either, so I can't even call it a good value.

I'm not sure what else is available in Rock Island but I'd look elsewhere unless the convenience of location is of supreme importance.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank IIP2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear IIP2,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our courteous staff.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the dated room amenities and the shower inconvenience. We will look into this and assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Modesto, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

If you still want to stay at this hotel after reading carefully reading the reviews (and you really need to read the reviews over the past year), insist on seeing your actual room BEFORE you pay for the hotel. If we had done that (we, unfortunately, prepaid), when we left the lobby, we would have seen the rickety elevator, the dirty carpet on the fifth floor, the painted out graffiti on the hallways and doors of the fifth flood, the room that wasn't locked (the door had issues and you had to shut it hard), and a room that had definitely seen better days.

If you must stay in this area, stay at a nice hotel in Davenport. You really do not want to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities
Isle Casino Hotel Bettendorf

Been to Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities? Share your experiences!