“I can't recommend this hotel”

Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rock Island
Hartford
“I can't recommend this hotel”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Just not up to the Holiday Inn standard. My room was worn out. The heat didn't work so well. The hot water was slow in coming in the shower and wasn't all that hot. The management will say they are in the process of renovation. So they shouldn't rent out rooms that are not a decent representation of the brand. I can't recommend this hotel and I will never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank steve375
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Steve375,

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The hotel has been undergoing renovations for the last year. The guest rooms were renovated last summer and are all updated with new bedding, carpet, paint, lighting and décor and new flat-screen TVs. Thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been forwarded to our management team for resolution. We hope you will try our hotel again soon.

Holiday Inn – Rock Island

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This property was in the process of being updated during my stay. I was in an updated room, which was very nice - new furniture, carpet, paint, enormous flat-screen TV.

I really liked having access to the gym attached to the building. Typically with Holiday Inn properties, you get a small fitness center with 3-4 pieces of cardio equipment and maybe some weights. Having access to the gym next door gives you 3-4 rooms of cardio equipment and weights.

Very good instead of excellent because they don't provide a free breakfast. They do give you a $5 voucher and a percent-off coupon for the attached restaurant, but that doesn't get you much compared to a free breakfast at other properties.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear rp1384,

Thank you for the positive 4-star review of your recent stay with our hotel. We are pleased to learn you thought your room was very nice with the new furniture, carpet, paint, and the “enormous” flat-screen TV. Thank you for the complimentary review of both the hotel fitness center and the attached Ultimate Fitness Center. Once again, thank you for providing feedback. We look forward to your return visit soon.

San Francisco
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

I was reluctant to stay here after reading negative reviews.
I decided to try it anyway.
Great decision.
Everyone on the staff was more than courteous and helpful.
The room was upgraded, new and modern.
To say this experience was beyond my expectations is not enough!
Excellent!!

• Stayed March 2013
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear travelagent1015,

Thank you for the excellent 5-star review of your recent stay with us. We are pleased you feel our hotel is the best in the Quad Cities with the courteous and helpful staff, new and modern room and that your stay was beyond your expectations. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Business took me to Rock Island for 5 nights. I took the hotel shuttle from the airport. Check in was smooth and quick. The hotel is very secure with key card access necessary for the elevators. The staff was friendly and helpful. The temperatures were bitterly cold during my stay so the interior access to a local restaurant was extremely helpful. They have a great exercise facility. The room was updated and very clean. It was a great stay!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jason K,

Thank you for the 4-star review of your recent stay. We are pleased to learn our staff was friendly and helpful, your check-in process with smooth and quick, you like the security of our hotel, that your room was updated and clean and that you had a great stay. Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to your return visit.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel was good enough. We were here for an event and booked a room as part of a reserved block. As other reviewers stated, the room was hot. I turned off the heat and opened the windows immediately upon entry. Thanks to the other reviewers here, I knew it wasn't going to cool down. Also, as others stated, you could tell the hotel had a makeover. It looks nice, but if you pay attention, you can see how it's a remodel and not original. Really though, who cares? I wasn't here for a honeymoon; we needed a comfortable place to sleep with the family. It did make me think of how accustomed we have become to larger size everything over time. The room feels pretty small to me, then I went into the bathroom and that room is tiny. I forgot how small and simple things used to be 30 years ago. It's somewhat tight in the room, but we had a full house. If I was here alone, it would be much more manageable.

The hotel staff was OK, but not top notch. We had internet problems b/c the internet password was written down on scratch paper, somewhat sloppy. After calling the front desk, I was notified that it wasn't an 8 digit number, rather, it's two 4 digit numbers. One is to use before midnight, the other is after midnight. I found this rather odd and wondered why they didn't explain that at the desk. It was pretty much hand written down on a tiny piece of paper with the codes. It worked though.

If your window faces the bars across the street, you may need to close the windows. Since it was hot, we had the windows open last night. The drunk crowd across the street came out at 3AM (what time is bar time here??!). They were loud for quite a while. They finally quieted down when I asked the desk to go deal with them at 3AM, as all of my kids were up listening to the drunks outside at a bar.

You can eat at the Bennigans attached to the hotel if you want. Even my food snob husband was impressed with the food. It's not 'meal of the year' or anything, but we had somewhat low expectations out of a chain. Even more importantly, the hotel and Bennigans don't communicate well (I think?) and Bennigans had no way of knowing we were coming. We had a block of rooms, yet they didn't seem to have any idea that it was a busy weekend for the hotel. They had 2 servers on (who were super nice) for about 100 people in the place. Not kidding. If you plan on eating here as part of a large group, I would highly suggest calling ahead of time to let them know you are bringing a large group in. We waited about 3 hours (we had about 25 people). It was fine, but probably one of the longest waits I've had.

All in all, the hotel is nice enough. I didn't get any 'ick' factors but I wasn't daydreaming about the next time I can come back here. That said, I would stay again if we are in town, but I would stay on the other side to avoid the after bar crowd.

Room Tip: Stay on the side that is not overlooking the bar crowd. They get loud out there at 3AM
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for the 3-star review of your recent stay with our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced. Thank you for your feedback. We hope you return to visit us again soon.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were traveling to Rock Island on a business trip. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Monique, our stay was excellent. Monique filled us in on all of the amenities within the hotel as well as those nearby. She directed us to the convenient parking, the restaurant located on premises and provided spot on directions to local convenience stores. The hotel itself was very clean and well decorated for the holiday season. There were even cookies available at check in which was a lovely touch.
We had reservations for a double as well as a king room. Both rooms were very well appointed and clean. The restaurant, a Bennigan's, provided excellent food at a great value.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the area.

Room Tip: Turn off the heat as soon as you walk into your room unless you enjoy saunas.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear miakhoda,

Thank you for the 4-star review of your recent stay with our hotel. We are pleased to read of the excellent customer service you received during your stay and that you thought our rooms were well appointed and clean. Thank you in advance for recommending our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 2 January 2014

SUMMARY:
It is obvious they have invested in some upgrades throughout the lobby and rooms. The hotel feels updated and fresh (whereas a few years ago it felt much more outdated and frumpy - I believe they said the updates happened or finished in summer 2013). It's still only a 3-star caliber hotel (I note some of the limitations below), but with the updated rooms, the very pleasant staff, the downtown nice location, the expansive workout and pool area, its one of the better hotel deals in Rock Island (especially if you can find a below regular cost deal). More detail below:

PROS:
-Extensive updates. Particularly noticeable is that the lobby and the rooms (carpet, walls, televisions, beds) are updated nicely and recently. (I would ignore any reviews that complain of the room or bed quality if they were written prior to summer 2013.)
-Location downtown Rock Island is nice/fun (you can walk to a few restaurants, a river walk, a river park.)
-Staff (we interacted with probably 4 different desk personnel) were all very friendly, courteous, and attentive.
-Rooms all have microwave and mini-fridge
-Big pool. They also have some floaty toys and things there. This is nice if you come with kids as we did.
-One of the largest workout facilities I've ever seen at a hotel, and by far larger than anything I've ever seen in this size/class of hotel. I think they may also use it for a small number of locals that get a gym membership, but I am not sure.
-Great deal (for us anyway as we used a discount website to bid on the 2 rooms)

CONS:
-It appears the updates do not extend to the bathrooms. At least the shower/tub area was still pretty worn in our two rooms.
-No jacuzzi in the pool area.
-Rooms were too warm (in Winter). When we talked with the staff, they said they had old heating/cooling and that there is nothing that could be done (they recommended cracking a window, which is what we did and it was fine). Sounds like in the winter, only the heating system is on. So while you can control adding more heat to your room with your room thermostat/unit, you cannot turn on cool air.
-Little upkeep things were lacking in important places. For example, the two-times we used the pool, they hardly had any pools towels on the pool towel rack (we called, and they promptly brought us some the first time, but we were surprised to see 24 hours later, they were still not re-stocked - and it wasn't because they got stocked and then used, as there were not many guests during our stay). Another example was using the lobby restroom during the mid-morning on a weekday. It was out of paper towels. Not a huge deal, but there were a couple little touches like this were it was surprising they were missing these simple but important upkeep areas.

Overall, an imperfect, but very nice 3-star hotel, with enough nice touches and people to make it a very pleasant experience and good local deal.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ryan W,

Thank you for the 4-star review of your recent stay with our hotel. We appreciate the feedback you have provided. We look forward to your return visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rock Island
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline
Isle Casino Hotel Bettendorf
Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities

Been to Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities? Share your experiences!