“Great For the Kids”

Burpee Museum of Natural History
Ranked #4 of 35 things to do in Rockford
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have taken many trips here with Students. There is a wide range of history here. From dinosaurs to Indains, to fish, and animals. There Native American display includes housing, clothing, weapons, pottery, etc. They also have a diaorama of a swamp from the age of the dinosaurs. Of course the also have dinosaurs and wooly manmoth skeleton. They also offer a room for students in classroom style and activiities. Great learning tool here teachers.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Went here with my daughter and 2 grandsons (aged 2 & 4) to kill time before we could check into our hotel. The dinosaur exhibits were well done and the boys enjoyed the Indian teepee, bison and canoe on the second floor along with exhibits of animals natural to the area. For the little ones pay the extra admission to the Treasure Hunt as the boys loved it. They got to use metal detectors, pan for gold, shoot cannons at a Pirate ship and put on puppet shows. They get a little card that you stamp at each exhibit and upon leaving they get to choose a trinket from the treasure chest. The staff were great with the little ones.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We visited on a Sunday and practically had the whole museum for ourselves, which was nice in a sense, but kind a made me wonder why would people not come to see these exhibit. Granted its not a big place but it has lots to offer. It's great for kids of any age. The highlight for my kids was the collection of the different type of rocks and minerals..
Just go and see for yourself...

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The best part about this museum is hands down the dinosaur exhibit. What makes this part of the museum so special is that the museum itself has found most of the dinosaur bones. I like how they display pictures of the dig crew finding Jane (the young T-Rex) and Homer (the triceratops) in Montana. Makes for a more real experience. The rest of the museum is interesting, but I think it has a lot of room for improvement and updates. You can really tell what displays were new and what were older. The new Geological Rockford display was nice. I enjoyed learning what Rockford used to look like years ago. Overall my husband and I had a nice time. I'm proud that Rockford has such a Gem to share. We went on a Sunday afternoon during 4th of July weekend and there weren't as many visitors as I imagined. I'm hopeful that Burpee will continue to grow and that travelers will make it a must-see in the mid-west!

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Great for little vacationers with short legs... Dinosaur exhibit was most popular. smaller version of Filed Museum. Easy to get to.