“Above average for Rockford, Il”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Rockford
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Rockford
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Stayed at this newer hotel for the first time on Dec 23 with my family. I opted for a Jr. Suite, which offered us a little more space to stretch out. I would recommend this option to others. The hotel was clean and quiet. Staff were friendly and polite. We did not use any of the ammenities other than the breakfast, which was also fine. We have stayed at another property at this same exit and we would certainly select the FF Inn again over the other property.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite -- a more room to stretch out for a few extra dollars.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave G

Reviewed 11 December 2011

We spent one night at this property and had a very enjoyable stay. The front desk personnel were very friendly and the hotel manager and housekeeper who prepared our room left notes in our room, welcoming us to the property. I really liked this sense of accountability. We left too early the next morning and did not take advantage of the breakfast. This hotel is right off the highway and close to restaurants, the mall and a convenience store. The bed was very comfortable and the water pressure in the bathroom was great. The property looked updated and fresh, as well. They also had muffins at the front desk-nice .

Room Tip: Become a member of Marriott's rewards...That way your preferences are always saved and followed...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shinergirl911
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This is a very nice hotel by Fairfield standards. The decor is all new and resembles the new Courtyard renovations. Lobby area is small but nicely done and plenty of seating. The business center contains 2 PCs and 2 printers and there is a market with a decent selection. Snacks were put out by the front desk in the evenings and morning. The rooms were very small, but again nicely done. The front desk staff were top-rate. All in all, you can't go wrong staying here when you are on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KMme
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We chose this hotel because of their rate special and the fact that we needed a suite since we were traveling with our 2 adult sons and a teenager (5 of us). The suite had a separate area with a sofa sleeper, chair, desk and TV and stereo - which worked out great for us to watch a movie and eat some pizza. Also - room for the guys to use 2 lap tops. My son liked to pull out the sofa-sleeper mattress and use it on the floor (less bumps). The decor was very colorful and up to date and the lobby was great for hanging out by the fire (we spent ours talking with family after a funeral). The breakfast had plenty of hot/cold items and even sugar free alternatives. We will definitely stay here again. The only negative was that the air conditioner turned on when the temp got a little over 70 degrees (even in late Nov.). I wish we could have turned it to "heat only".

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank LynnDeeOH
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My family and I stayed at this property over the Thanksgiving holiday and had a nice relaxing stay. We were in Rockford visiting family and the Junior suite we stayed in provided a nice room configuration for my 15 yr old son, 13 yr old daughter and my wife and I. Comfortable queen sized beds in the main portion of the room, along with a separate area with a decent hide-a-bed. The room was clean and quite.

Lobby and public areas are bright and open with lots of color. The breakfast area, complete with cozy fireplace, was equally appealing. the pool area was small, but was well kept and clean.

The continental breakfast was well stocked and included hot items as well as the usual cold offerings. The hotel did not have a restaurant, but there were several within walking distance as well a one that delivered directly to the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpfu and aknowledged us every time we walked thru the lobby. We have stayed at a few other hotels in the Rockford area and the Fairfield Inn & Suites has been the most accomodating. We will return again.

Room Tip: Junior suites are a good value.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kinni-kids
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights for the first time. Nice Hotel in close proximity to many other hotel choices. Lobby is nice and colorful. Friendly staff and a nice breakfast with plenty of choices including several microwavable b-fast sandwhiches. Rooms are nice as well with flat screen TV with plenty of choices. Hotels prices at this busy interchange have climbed steadily. This hotel is recommended (by me) and would be a great choice. Also, pool and excercise room were large and nice!. Tip: Try the Stone Eagle Tavern located 1 mile for hotel. Excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for room upgrade.... it never hurts.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

From the moment I walked in, my experience was excellent. Got off to a great start with the automatic sliding doors. Perfect for when your hands are busy with bags in tow. It's such a simple concept, but I'm always amazed at other properties that still have manual, push or pull to open doors. Crazy, huh? The front desk staff welcomed me with a smile and genuine friendliness. My Marriott Rewards status was recognized, and after a brief description of amenities, I was on my way to my room.

Unpacking for the week, I found the closet space to be more than adequate, and there are four big drawers under the LCD TV. (I only needed one.) Although the HVAC is the standard issue under-the-window variety, it is remarkably quiet and controlled by a thermostat on the opposite wall. As an added bonus, it does not blow directly on you when sitting at the desk. Again, other properties are clueless in this respect, and I often find myself freezing or frying while going deaf from the HVAC noise. Not here, though.

The king bed is very comfy. Not too firm, not too soft,and nicely outfitted with crisp, clean linens. The bathroom makes very good use of space and does not feel cramped at all. Score #3 is finding the main bathroom light and exhaust fan on separate switches. Yet another simple concept where this property exceeds others. There is nothing more annoying than having your ears assaulted by a rattle-trap exhaust fan each and every time you turn on the bathroom light. Here, it is as it should be. I'm a big boy now, and I know when the exhaust fan is needed and not needed. Thank you for separate switches!

The desk area in my room is mainly good. As I mentioned earlier, your chair is out of the line of fire from the HVAC unit. Plus the adjustable height actually allows the seat to rise to a usable level rather than making you feel like a 5-year-old at the Thanksgiving table. I really appreciate not having to sit on a pillow to get a usable height for keyboarding! There is enough space for my tablet, my laptop with mouse, the phone, and a lamp. There are only two things I would change: First, there is only one AC outlet convenient to the desktop. Not a show-stopper for me because I have a travel-sized power strip. But it would be nice to see at least a duplex outlet on the wall just above table top height -- preferably a two-gang duplex for a total of four outlets plus the one on the lamp. Speaking of the lamp, that's number two. Nice enough lamp, but the height is not adjustable, and it glares in your face like a spotlight when you're trying to work. I had to lay it down so that the business end of the lamp is *behind* my laptop screen. I like light in my work area, but I don't need a tan.

One final note, the wired internet access is blazing fast for a hotel property. The Marriott brand has a shameful history of woefully inadequate internet bandwidth, so I hope my experience here at Fairfield Inn and Suites in Rockford, IL is the start of a sorely needed trend for improvement across the whole chain. I've attempted to attach the results from speedtest.net. Hopefully it works!

In summary, it is easy to see why this is the #1 rated property in Rockford, IL. Once again, tripadvisor.com comes through for me as a frequent business traveler.

Room Tip: Some rooms may have a fridge and microwave. Mine did not. It's not a big deal because there ar...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business