“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Rockford
Oswego, Illinois
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Wonderful old world style hotel. Staff friendly and helpful. Wonderful breakfast, clean room, loved the buffet! Will certainly go back. Would love to stay in one of the themed rooms. Especially liked the fireplace in the lobby, would love to go back in the winter and sit by a warm fire.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Ames, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The place has such potential but the mirrors in the halls were dirty. The furniture in the room had holes in it. The walls were knicked. The after wedding guest staying at the hotel were loud and partied after 2:00 a.m. In addition, the pet policy was not stated clearly at the time of reservation and even check in. This should be very plan and easily stated.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
CTRManagement, General Manager at Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Good morning Ms. Osborne,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort. My apology for the room conditions noted, our Executive Housekeeper immediately reviewed your concerns with the team in order to ensure that the rooms are picture perfect every time. Over the past months, we have made tremendous strides in renovating various guest rooms, public areas, and outlets. Your guest room is scheduled for completion within a few short months.

Our front desk makes determination on the location of a guest based on the guest's room reserved, not whether or not the person may be traveling with a pet. We have had pets on all floors of the resort, along with the resort has been the location for dog competitions.

The type of guest room selected is first and foremost where a guest may spend the night. Additional special requests as lower floor, or away from the public areas, or near the front desk or by another traveling guest in their party are requests that may steer an associate to attempt to reserve a room for a guest that may have a specific room location, though again, the room type reserved is the first step in the process of what guides a front desk person. We want to accomodate each and every guest request when possible.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Staff and Management of Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort and Lexington Hotel
Roscoe, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This was our second special event at Lexington/Cliffbreakers. The staff was very gracious and readily available for pre-planning meetings, etc. Our Mosaic by Moonlight fundraiser was beautiful! The ballrooms easily accomodated our 400 guests. Our guests were able to easily reserve hotel rooms and the pub offered a burger special to guests arriving early or staying late. The outdoor Tiki bar, complete with a bonfire, sand and overlooking the beautiful Rock River was a great way to unwind at the end of the night!

Room Tip: Select a room overlooking the Rock River.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda W
Dear Linda, ,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent event at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort and Lexington Hotel. It is always a pleasure to read comments as yours. These will be shared with all the staff and management of the property.

We are honored to be the location for the Mosaic event and look forward to next year's gathering.

Falls Church VA
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Where do I start? I did not choose this hotel. It was the place where family coming to town for a wedding was to stay, and am I glad we did. What charming ambience. Everywhere you turn there is another unique antique, item of interest. Never having been to Rockford, I asked about the painting - actually a mural - above the front desk. The staff launched into an explanation which could have been a complete fabrication but I was impressed!

Our room was definitely not your run of the mill hotel room. The view of the river was beautiful. The bathroom was tiled and clean. The housekeeping staff was visible but not in the way. In fact, I had trouble with my key and they were quite helpful. The lobby provided a comfortable place to visit with family. We didn't use the pool but our family did and really enjoyed it.

My only negative -and the reason I gave a 4 - was first because the bed was pretty soft and the pillow was impossible. It was so high and firm that when laying on my side my shoulder did not hit the bed. Probably my fault that I did not complain and I was okay not using a pillow at all. The second thing was I had some problems with the Internet. The first day I was there, it was perfect and amazingly strong. But I could not connect at all the second day. I complained and my first few complaints were pretty much ignored. In the evening they finally reset it and I was able to connect with help of a knowledgeable staff person.

We enjoyed the rehearsal dinner here. I probably wouldn't choose a seafood buffet in the middle of the country but the food was okay and they certainly attempted varied dishes. The complimentary breakfast, while having a small selection, was good and plentiful.

There should be no question that this is the place to stay in Rockford. I have to say that they have the most helpful and accommodating staff I have ever encountered. I understand that they will be undergoing a renovation with new owners. While a good thing, I truly hope that the new owners don't turn this into a cookie cutter hotel. It would be criminal to lose the charm and ambience of this lovely establishment.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Twochris
CTRManagement, General Manager at Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear Twochris,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort and Lexington Hotel. It is always a pleasure to read comments as yours. These will be shared with all the staff and management of the property.

We look forward to your visiting us again soon!

Princeton, IL.
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here 2 nights. The first was in a room with a whirlpool on the first floor. The short story is - earwigs - on the floor, on the walls, between the bedspread and the blanket. We asked to move the next morning - the hotel was full but they offered us one of their premium suites as a free upgrade. We couldn't take that room because you had to step up onto a platform to get into the bed and recent back surgery prevented that for one of us. The hotel staff kept looking and found us a standard room on the 2nd floor. It had recently been remodeled and was bright, well-appointed and earwig free. We had a great night's sleep the second night. This hotel has a restaurant attached with an enticing menu, a large ballroom for functions, many decks and windows with a view of Rock River and boaters, skiers etc., and it is in a good location for many activities. The staff was helpful and always very friendly. When completely remodeled this should be a great place. For now it depends on where your room is and - unless you've just got to have it - we suggest passing on the whirlpool rooms for now. We learned on departure that another couple in our party had also had earwigs in their whirlpool room.

Room Tip: Newly remodeled rooms are bright and very simialr to the major chains. The older room are older room...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tmadlaw
, General Manager at Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear tmadlaw,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the resort..With the first floor rooms being right next to the river, we seasonaly experience earwig bugs in some of the rooms. As a concern is raised, we contact a professional insecticide company from the local community to eradicate the earwigs, though that doesn't always go perfetly as preferred.

I am sorry to read of your recent back surgery, and yes, the beds in the corporate suites are higher than a normal bed would be........those rooms should really be called corporate bedrooms, as each room is different than the next. Each room has been designed with no repeating furnishings in these corporate suties.

Glad that you were able to experience one of the "refreshed" rooms. We are in the process of that project which will touch 22-24 rooms with that new level of appointment. We want to also refresh the other remaining inventory of rooms, so all rooms will be refreshed and/or renovated. There will be some renovated rooms that will offer full kitchenettes and other amenities for the guests that stay for longer periods of time.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I don't write a lot of reviews, but was really impressed with this hotel and restaraunt complex. We were given one of the newly remodeled rooms, and I put this on par with high end Hilton-type rooms. There was some construction going on, but they seemed do a better than average job at keeping that appearance to a minimum.

There was a couple of great things about this place. First, they have a full, free breakfast in the morning. This included a buffet of eggs, bacon, etc. along with what you would see at a normal continental. This was served in a room that overlooks a river, very nice.

Second was the bar/restraunt area. It is somewhat dated, but in a cozy quaint way. There is a couple levels of decks and a tiki bar that overlook the scenic river. One of the best places I have been in a while for an evening unwind. We had 2 servers over 2 nights, Brian and Suarta. Both were extremely attentive and friendly. I could tell they cared about their work.

I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for new amenities in a classic style hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear Chris O,

Thank you for the kind words about your recent stay.

Suarta and Brian are great guest care driven associates that always do their best. They make all guests feel at ease and welcome. We are glad to have them on our team!

We look forward to your staying with us again in the near future.

The Staff and Management of Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort
Muskego
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Have stayed here about four times. Staff always friendly and accommodating. There is a nice business center you can use, if need be. Nice small conference rooms to grand scale. Bar and restaurant area are inviting, nightly specials. I love the chance to overlook the river. They have their own beach and tiki bar, live music. Very eclectic style in the restaurant as well as the hotel area. If you love unique furnishings, you will love this place. It is not your usual chain hotel. Very close to my client, so location for me is ideal. Breakfast is great! My home away from home in Rockford.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Deborah B,

Thank you for the kind words about your recent stay.

Hoping that the next time you are staying with us that I would be able to put a face to the name! Please do not hesitate to contact me for reservig your next stay.

We look forward to your staying with us again in the near future.

Dwight Hopfauf