Hope the new ownership fixes it up, because it’s a beautiful grand old building that is badly in need of some TLC. If you stay, I recommend walking the main floor hall from the lobby to the beer hall at the end of the hall. You’ll see ornate woodwork, large model sailing ships in display cases, statues, fountains, impressive dining and banquet rooms, and aquariums (one of which featured brightly colored jellyfish). Free hot breakfast was a step above regular continental fare with biscuits and gravy, sausage, pancakes and hash browns. The shower had plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Workout facility contained newer equipment including two treadmills, elliptical, and a wide selection of dumbbells and medicine balls. However, you’ll also see stained carpet, peeling wallpaper, scuff marks on doors and hall walls, doors missing their labels, at least two empty aquariums, a closed pool… and a half dozen or so uninhabited guest rooms that are missing locks / handles / keycard readers. Internet access was not user friendly. Biggest negative to us was the lack of soundproofing in the building, which management has tried to address by placing a ‘Quiet Zone’ sign at the entrance to the hallway. It didn’t do much to silence the barking dog in the room across the hall, or prevent us from hearing doors close each and every time a guest would arrive or depart from their room throughout the night. Very unique building. Glad we stayed here once, but have mixed feelings on whether we’d be in a hurry to come back.
Comment for hotel management – would foam tape and or some type of rubber stoppers affixed to the door jams help silence the doors a bit?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "The Jewel of Rockford" is the most popular destination for business travel, families and for special events such as weddings, business conferences and meetings and fundraisers with the region’s largest ballrooms and most attractive meeting space. The Northern Illinois Luxury Hotel at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort includes more of what you want when traveling to the real, original Northern Illinois Region – the community with big-city amenities and a small-town feel! Complimentary Wi-Fi access in all guest rooms – we have it. Northern Illinois Riverview Suites, Loft Suites or Specialty Themed Suites – your choice! Free hot breakfast – available every morning. A European styled property with a heated indoor pool and evening room service – relax and enjoy. Every guest room with Microwaves, Mini-fridges and expanded cable TV....relax and enjoy! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK) and Odigeo so you can book your Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lexington Hotel At Cliffbreakers` Riverside Rockford
- Lexington Hotel Cliffbreakers Riverside