“Good room for the price”

Extended Stay America - Rockford - State Street
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Rockford
Dallas, Texas
“Good room for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Room was clean - a lot of space. halls were a bit dirty and stuff just sitting around. staff was helpful and friendly. Strip joint next door was quiet through the night. No hair dryers in the rooms? You haveto go down to the front office to get one..I would stay here again, although having to pay for internet is a bit much..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Rockford - State Street, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I recently received a copy of your review. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The condition of the hallway you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on cleaning and inspection policy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a gymnastics meet in Rockford, IL and had to find a room for a single night. Due to the meet all the hotels were booked except this one. Seeing that it was only for 1 night, we gave it a try.

I was originally scared by the price. We paid about $55 for a room with a full kitchen, queen bed, and pull out bed. That was the only option they had, but it fit us just fine since it was just me and my 2 young kids. We checked in about 3:00pm and finished in about 10 minutes.

The room was about the same size that you would find in a Holiday Inn or Marriott Courtyard. However, the kitchen area took most of the space, leaving barely enough room for the bed.

Overall the room was nothing fancy, but clean and quiet. It also contained a small work desk, plenty of outlets, a 27" CRT TV, good lighting, a small coffee table, and closet. Uncharacteristically of most hotel rooms, the AC/Heater unit worked perfectly. The thermostat turned on and off the unit exactly at the right times. I was pleasantly surprised. There was a working clock-radio and phone by the bed.

The kitchen had a dishwasher, full fridge, microwave, toaster, electric stove, oven, coffee maker (and coffee) and utensils. We really didn't use any of it other than to store a few bottles of Gatorade in the fridge. They provided dishwasher soap, but we only used 2 cups and a small saucer and didn't want to run the dishwasher just for those items. However, there was no regular dish soap, so we just left the dirty dishes in the sink.

The bathroom was clean and functional. No amenities were provided other an a couple of bars of hotel soap and towels.... no shampoo, no shower caps, no hairdryer, etc.... just the soap and towels.

The closet was fairly spacious and had an iron.

The bed was just okay. The mattress was a bit lumpy and soft for my taste and it felt like the springs were on their last leg. It wasn't real bad, but I wouldn't want to sleep in it more than a 2 or 3 days.

Basic internet access was free, though not really speedy. You need to get an access code when you check in. You can also "upgrade" to faster access, but since I was there only for 1 night, I didn't feel a need for that.

Across the rear parking lot of the hotel, about 50 feet away, is a gentleman's club and it sports a giant neon sign that reads "Exotic" at the top of the building. It is quite a sight as the neon glows throughout the evening and is very visible from half the rooms. We didn't experience any noise or have any problems regarding that establishment. It was actually rather peaceful.

Parking was not an issue for us. There were plenty of spots open during our brief stay, all close to an entrance. After 11:00pm the doors are locked and you must use your keycard to enter the building.

Overall, StudioPlus IMHO was worth the money. Compared to the larger Hotels in the area, the rates were very reasonable and we got exactly what we wanted... a place to plop our heads for a night. If you just need a decent place to stay and perhaps want to save some money by cooking your own food, this place definitely fits the bill. It's not the Waldorf, but it's functional.

Room Tip: The back rooms have a view of the Gentleman's Club. This may be a plus or a minus depending on...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Findlay, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This was my first time staying at a Studio Plus. We booked it last minute over the internet . We were trying to find something cheap and suitable for one night's sleep, and I was pleasantly surprised! It was older decor, but very clean. The basics of what a one nights sleep requires plus a full kitchen including almost full sized refridgerator, oven, sink, basic dishes & utensils, skillets, toaster, microwave, table and chairs & large closet. I was amazed at how much stuff they put into one room! Beware that they only provide bar soap and not small bottles of shampoo or conditioner. Also, there was not a hair dryer, but was able to retrieve one from the front desk so not a big deal. A fantastic value!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Oneonta, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

The overall stay there was satisfactory and the location was near stores and restaurants. It was also located to a strip club which was open 7 days a week. This caused a good bit of noise and one night of chaos that brought police to the hotel parking lot.
There is a one time fee for internet access. I was dissatisfied with housekeeping, They came while my husband was in the shower, I asked them to please give us a few minutes and return and they did not. The next scheduled week of cleaning they did not come to the room at all.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jlcooley74
Calabasas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

This was my second time staying at the Studio Plus Rockford while visiting family who live in the area. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the room and kitchenette were clean, comfortable, quiet and convenient. We bought some groceries and cooked breakfast and snacks at the hotel,while relaxing and watching TV and it felt like I had a little apartment of my own instead of just a hotel room. The shower water pressure was even better than mine at home! I definitely recommend staying here for anyone who's traveling to the Rockford area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

We checked in around 7 PM. We were given a room with a toilet that did not work. The lady at the front desk was extremely friendly & immediately found us another room on the same floor. The rooms are very spacious. The rooms were very clean except the table tops which had a sticky substance on them. I had to wipe all of the table tops down. The hotel seemed very secure. After 11 pm you must use your key card to enter the building. The location is very convenient to many restaurants & shopping. There is a strip club located directly behind the hotel which is surprising because it seems like a nice area. There is a privacy fence separating the hotel from the strip club. If you were to use the patio/grilling/hot tub area you would be staring directly at the strip club marquee which lights up at night. There was a sign on all the entry doors warning people that hotels in the area have had car burglaries during the night and to take all valuables into your room with you which is something I would do anyway. A couple thinking that our room was theirs tried to get into our room around 1 AM one night. They went up & down the hallway trying to get into different rooms. I am not sure if they ever found their room. I slept through it but it woke another member of my family who needed their sleep because they were participating in sporting events the next day. That really annoyed us but is no fault of the hotel. We used the laundry facilities and they were clean & everything was in working order. The best part of our stay was the friendly lady at the front desk; the worst part was the couple who tried to get into our room.

• Stayed July 2009
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Rockford Studio Plus while our home was being built. The staff was very friendly, but as for the price, I was not too terribly impressed. Very pricey IMO. The first studio we stayed in was infested with cockroaches. YUCK! After 2-3 visits from the exterminator(and a couple weeks later), we finally moved to opposite ends of the hall. My husband and I carefully inspected all of our belongings before moving to the next studio as to not bring any little 'hitchhikers' with us. I guess what really bothered me about that was, we were never even offered a credit or even a complimentary night after that very unpleasant and inconvenient experience. I was skeptical that the new studio would be 'pest' free, but we stayed there a good 2 months and I never found any sign of roaches so that was a huge relief. We also had to evacuate the building 3 different nights due to the smoke alarm(one was in the middle of winter around 3am). However, I should mention that the staff was very accomodating and understanding about our departure date being pushed back a couple times. I wish that I could give better marks because the staff really was very pleasant, but I just feel these were big issues we probably wouldn't want to bother with again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple