“Good value in a pricy area”

Extended Stay America - Rockford - State Street
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Rockford
Duluth, Minnesota
“Good value in a pricy area”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This is more like a little apartment than a hotel room. It was clean, safe, and a good value. It was not posh or fancy, but we needed to spend the last night of our vacation somewhere around Rockford and this worked out fine. It was noisy at night; the airconditioner turned off with a rattle and a tick noise, then turned right back on over and over again, and there were doors slamming and that lovely sound of men using the restroom close by. Once I got over those little hurdles it was fine. We did have a very hard time finding it, but after you know where it is it's easy (duh). The shower was nice, and the staff was friendly. The common areas could use some cleaning and wiping down, but it was ok. I don't know why Rockford is such a pricy area, but this was a good choice. We walked to a restaurant called Giovanni's- we would skip it if we evr returned, though.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor facing the street and it was fine. I was a little concerned about the win...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
MackenzieChicago, Manager at Extended Stay America - Rockford - State Street, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for you comments about our Rockford hotel. This site is currently undergoing an extensive renovation which should be completed around Thanksgiving. We hope if you are in the area again you will come and see it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lake bluff
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Business trip in the Rockford area for 4 and a half months , so had a good bit of time around hotel during my off time . Judy (manager),Jenn,Stephanie and Danisha were very professional, friendly , curtious and were very helpful to myself and others.The rooms were spacious and clean with full kitchen and oven so was able to cook myself. The Hotel is getting renovated at the end of year 2012 ,when i am back in the area i will surely stay there.Just before leaving i seen that the manager received the presidential award plaque for 2011 well deserved !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Carl D
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Rockford - State Street, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Studio Plus Rockford - East. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Eau Claire
Reviewed 18 May 2012

In Rockford,IL for two nights,Stepanie checked me in, was a super nice girl,Later when I was coming in with many bags she race to the front doors to open for me. Always smiling every time you pass the front office.later at the end of my stay I met the manager, Jane who also was Super Nice. Great Room,Full Kicthen,Great Price
I Will stay here in the Future.

Room Tip: All rooms are really nice,Good Prices
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Larry M
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Studio Plus Rockford - East. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I booked a one night stay, using Price Line, during a recent road trip. The room (Studio Plus) was spacious, clean, and even had a full kitchen. We didn't need the kitchen during this visit, but we will look towards Studio Plus locations for future travels.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim L
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write nice things about your experience at Studio Plus Rockford - East. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Room was clean - a lot of space. halls were a bit dirty and stuff just sitting around. staff was helpful and friendly. Strip joint next door was quiet through the night. No hair dryers in the rooms? You haveto go down to the front office to get one..I would stay here again, although having to pay for internet is a bit much..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
I recently received a copy of your review. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The condition of the hallway you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on cleaning and inspection policy.

Chicago
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a gymnastics meet in Rockford, IL and had to find a room for a single night. Due to the meet all the hotels were booked except this one. Seeing that it was only for 1 night, we gave it a try.

I was originally scared by the price. We paid about $55 for a room with a full kitchen, queen bed, and pull out bed. That was the only option they had, but it fit us just fine since it was just me and my 2 young kids. We checked in about 3:00pm and finished in about 10 minutes.

The room was about the same size that you would find in a Holiday Inn or Marriott Courtyard. However, the kitchen area took most of the space, leaving barely enough room for the bed.

Overall the room was nothing fancy, but clean and quiet. It also contained a small work desk, plenty of outlets, a 27" CRT TV, good lighting, a small coffee table, and closet. Uncharacteristically of most hotel rooms, the AC/Heater unit worked perfectly. The thermostat turned on and off the unit exactly at the right times. I was pleasantly surprised. There was a working clock-radio and phone by the bed.

The kitchen had a dishwasher, full fridge, microwave, toaster, electric stove, oven, coffee maker (and coffee) and utensils. We really didn't use any of it other than to store a few bottles of Gatorade in the fridge. They provided dishwasher soap, but we only used 2 cups and a small saucer and didn't want to run the dishwasher just for those items. However, there was no regular dish soap, so we just left the dirty dishes in the sink.

The bathroom was clean and functional. No amenities were provided other an a couple of bars of hotel soap and towels.... no shampoo, no shower caps, no hairdryer, etc.... just the soap and towels.

The closet was fairly spacious and had an iron.

The bed was just okay. The mattress was a bit lumpy and soft for my taste and it felt like the springs were on their last leg. It wasn't real bad, but I wouldn't want to sleep in it more than a 2 or 3 days.

Basic internet access was free, though not really speedy. You need to get an access code when you check in. You can also "upgrade" to faster access, but since I was there only for 1 night, I didn't feel a need for that.

Across the rear parking lot of the hotel, about 50 feet away, is a gentleman's club and it sports a giant neon sign that reads "Exotic" at the top of the building. It is quite a sight as the neon glows throughout the evening and is very visible from half the rooms. We didn't experience any noise or have any problems regarding that establishment. It was actually rather peaceful.

Parking was not an issue for us. There were plenty of spots open during our brief stay, all close to an entrance. After 11:00pm the doors are locked and you must use your keycard to enter the building.

Overall, StudioPlus IMHO was worth the money. Compared to the larger Hotels in the area, the rates were very reasonable and we got exactly what we wanted... a place to plop our heads for a night. If you just need a decent place to stay and perhaps want to save some money by cooking your own food, this place definitely fits the bill. It's not the Waldorf, but it's functional.

Room Tip: The back rooms have a view of the Gentleman's Club. This may be a plus or a minus depending on...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Findlay, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This was my first time staying at a Studio Plus. We booked it last minute over the internet . We were trying to find something cheap and suitable for one night's sleep, and I was pleasantly surprised! It was older decor, but very clean. The basics of what a one nights sleep requires plus a full kitchen including almost full sized refridgerator, oven, sink, basic dishes & utensils, skillets, toaster, microwave, table and chairs & large closet. I was amazed at how much stuff they put into one room! Beware that they only provide bar soap and not small bottles of shampoo or conditioner. Also, there was not a hair dryer, but was able to retrieve one from the front desk so not a big deal. A fantastic value!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple