“Beautiful rooms house a nice little cafe-restaurant”
Review of Fatt Cat Cafe

Fatt Cat Cafe
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Rockton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Two visits a decade or so apart, most recently August 2013.

This old Victorian House with a strange (but strangely inviting) mix of Victorian, northwoods and mid-century decor used to be called the Elderberry Tea Room. I believe it catered mostly to older "genteel" sorts of ladies and was only open for lunch (and tea?); that's still the crowd my mom and I saw when we visited, though the place now has a more conventional menu, is open for dinner (including a Friday night fish fry) and serves beer and wine. At any rate, we went for lunch and found it pretty nice - the odd decor choices made it for me all the more individual and inviting, and the food was pretty good and reasonably priced for a place that is still trying to cater to a more "upscale" crowd (at least, upscale in this area). I had the smoked turkey club, mom had a quiche, and we split an excellent caramel bread pudding for dessert - I think they do the desserts in-house. We'll definitely be making a return visit, perhaps at dinnertime.

A quick word about the service - it was pretty slow - every one of the 8 or so tables was full, most with 4 or more people, and there was only one server. She apologized for the slowness - apparently the other person was out because of some kind of animal-bite problem! - but it would have been nice if she had done so BEFORE we had ordered and been there a few minutes. In any case it wasn't a terrible delay, and she was friendly and efficient enough, but I think it's worth noting - if you have long delays on your visit, ask about dog bites...