“Beautiful country setting”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Faithlegg
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Beautiful country setting”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Faithlegg House is a lovely building with beautiful grounds. Excellent breakfasts, a good pub for drinks and casual dining and a more formal restaurant. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Jack Meade's Pub, right down the road, is fun to go to -- great atmospheric old building. Fairly close to Waterford city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2013

First, I’ll begin by saying that we were booked at Faithlegg by our travel agent. We mistakenly assumed we were in Waterford, or at least directly outside of it. The website for the hotel lists no address, so it’s a real challenge to locate this property. One has to drive down back roads in the country in order to get there. This was our first hotel after a plane flight from Chicago to Dublin on Tuesday and a very long rainy day of driving. We, of course, arrived tired, hunger and not looking our best. The greeting we received from the reception clerk was less than enthusiastic, and not at all typical of the warmth and friendliness of the Irish people. We checked in and asked about dinner in the restaurant since there were no other restaurant options available in this remote location. The reception clerk said, “You can eat in the bar.” I asked if the hotel did not have a main dining room restaurant. (I already knew they did.) The receptionist’s response was that the restaurant required reservations. I asked again if they were fully booked for the evening and emphasized we'd rather have a relaxing meal in the dining room, not the bar. Her response was that they probably had nothing. After I pressed once more, she stated that we could have a reservation for “half eight.” We told her that was perfectly fine since we were tired, wished to unpack and clean up.

Now, for the rooms: Unless you are among the very privileged few, you will get a room in the house’s annex, which is nothing more than an average hotel tacked onto the main guest house. The rooms are OK, but certainly nothing special and definitely not “four star” as the hotel claims to be. While the room was reasonably clean, the trash from the prior night’s guest had never been emptied.

Our dinner in the dining room was quite mediocre. Not wanting to appear the ugly American, I kept my mouth shut; But had this been any restaurant in the US, the meal I received, at a cost of $49 EUR for a three-course fixed price meal, should have been sent back to the kitchen as being totally unacceptable. I had the squab appetizer which tasted vile. It was tough as shoe leather and had a downright spoiled flavor. My entree was worse. It was the rack of lamb consisting of three lamb ribs that amounted to almost 95% fat and 5% edible meat.

Hotel breakfasts are Irish style and hearty. This was the one saving grace of an otherwise disappointing stay. I would not return.

Room Tip: You can try requesting the actual house itself, rather than the annex, but I'm not certain how y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob C
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here in September with an other couple and had a great time
I played golf on the wonderful golf course and she had the excellent spa treatments.
The rooms, staff and everything except the breakfast was great

The breakfast was awful, bland bacon, sausage and every thing on the plate, even the bread was bland and tasteless
If i was a foreign tourist sampling and looking forward to a famed Irish breakfast for the first time I would be so disappointed
Come on Faithlegg why let your excellent hotel down with cheap horrible breakfast ingredients
P.S. the scones in the bar area are delicious

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tptcel
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your review with us and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise you felt our breakfast let the hotel down, I will address this with our Head Chef and i can assure you this is not a common occurrence.

I hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I usually stay in the City when in Waterford but decided to venture a few miles outside this trip.
About 10 minutes drive from the city it's definitely worth the few extra miles.
The hotel is a Grand old country mansion with most of the original features still intact. When I arrived on a crisp Autumn evening there was a lovely big log fire in the foyer . Staff very friendly no fuss checking in.
Room was modern clean and good size . All mod cons, decent free wifi and flat screen tv , I hooked up my laptop to tv for Netflix no prob.
Went for swim in nice little leisure centre . Had a very nice meal in the bar. Staff very friendly really enjoyed my stay .

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joetraynor1
Dear Guest,

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay having opted for something different on your trip to Waterford and thank you for sharing your kind feedback with us.

I look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

After a crazy drive from the Dublin airport we arrived at the magnificent Faithlegg Castle and Golf Club. There are 2 dining options in the evening. Get dressed up and enjoy the dining room, or stay comfortably casual and eat in the grill and bar. Food was great, many options and prices were reasonable. Breakfast in the morning had many choices for all tastes, and yes there is black pudding ( blood pudding ). Sorry didn't try it. The grounds are straight out of a movie, rolling green pastures as far as the eye can see. Check out the spa at the hotel, and the beautiful indoor swimming pool. The mist and fog in the early morning just added to the atmosphere.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such kind feedback with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found time to use all our facilities. I hope you return to Faithlegg House Hotel soon and maybe even try the black pudding!

dublin
Reviewed 21 October 2013

For last six years we go early Spring for a two day mid week golf break.
Good rooms and excellent golf course. Usually excellent value with a large clientel from Dublin.
Recently they have cut down on meal quality and choise in order to compete on price.
Breakfast is always excellent but evening meals have been disappointing on last visit.
Also seems to be a high turnover of restaurant staff

Room Tip: Stayed in old house as an upgrade on our first visit. Would rather have a room in the wing facing ou...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is always lovely to hear groups returning year on year.
I hope you and your fellow golfers return to Faithlegg again next year.

Meath
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just back from a lovely lovely weekend in Faithlegg. It's in a beautiful setting, staff are very friendly and professional. Room was lovely. The whole atmosphere of the hotel is lovely - from the cosy rooms around the bar, to the welcoming fire in the lobby, the lanterns with lit candles all day...and soft music - so atmospheric. It's a delight of a place to spend time in. Ate in the hotel the first night - very nice food and pace. Breakfast is great - my daughter was delighted with her pancakes and the buffet style and quality of the rest of the items were welcomed. The second night we went to Jack Meade's nearby for dinner and the food, service and value were excellent. They couldn't do enough, and cheerfully so to boot - we had a ball.

Only very small issues are that it was very warm (overly) in the hotel, better choice of scotch needed and the drinks in general are expensive. Filter coffee and gorgeous cookies in a mini cookie jar in the room were welcome additions.

Lots to do around the area - a weekend isn't sufficient time...we may have to go back!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and thank for sharing such a kind review. We have the perfect locations for site-seeing, dining, activity breaks or just relaxing in the hotel and I always enjoy hearing of families who make the most of it all.

I hope to see you all visit again very soon.

Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faithlegg
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,143 reviews
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arthurstown

Been to Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!