“A solid 4* performance.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Faithlegg
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We booked a 3-night stay here over the recent October bank holiday weekend. It’s probable that the hotel was fully booked for the entire duration of our stay. However, the staff were very helpful and friendly, even though they must have been extremely busy catering for at least two weddings that weekend.
The bar food was good and the buffet breakfast offered a wide enough range to keep everyone happy. The big open log fires made a welcoming sight on a cold October evening. The rooms, grounds and facilities were clean and very well maintained - as you’d expect for a hotel of this standard.
That said, there were a few things that I felt could have been a bit better, again what I'd expect for a hotel of this standard. eg. There was a very limited range of TV channels in the bedroom, and the absence of a room safe was somewhat surprising.

You'll need a car, or a taxi, to travel to /from Waterford City.

Nonetheless, a fine country otel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Allow approx €15-20 (and about 15/20 mins) each way for a taxi to/from Waterford City.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us, I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you return soon.

Best Regards,
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We booked our weekend on the 18th October, with Rewarding Times and I'm glad as I would not have liked to have had paid full price. We take a lot of weekends away in various hotels and I was very disappointed in this one. While I knew when booking it was 10 minutes from Waterford, but it literally is in the middle of nowhere. It's pretty average and we both hated the bar/lounge. If you were sitting anywhere near where they walk in from the foyer to the bar your seat shook as as they walked by, very annoying. It was like a huge sitting room packed with chairs and couches and the bar was in another room with just a few tables. We had a champagne afternoon tea included which we had on arrival which was very nice and the staff were very helpful. Reception staff need to take note as they are not welcoming. The rooms were average, clean and spacious and bathroom was good and a great shower and I liked the biscuites with the tea, nice touch.

On the Friday night they had a nice singer playing a guitar and it gave a it some atmosphere but on the Saturday night a man walked in and sat at the piano and played it for over an hour. Might as well have not been there, very mediocre. The bar just did nothing for us, it lets the place down badly. Having visited the toilet near the lounge it was very untidy with tissues on the floor etc., obviously not checked on a regular basis.

We had our dinner on the Saturday night in the dining room. Couldn't fault the food but I object to so many supplements added to dishes. I ordered rack of lamb which had a supplement of €5 and it was two lamb chops, somewhat miserable. Why can't waiting staff be thought the way to serve wine? They stand there saying "do you want to taste the wine"? What you say is "who would like to taste the wine". Wine must be tasted to make sure that it hasn't gone off. Then the bottle of white was left on the table and we had to ask for a cooler. The cooler came full of ice with the bottle sitting on top. We had to tell her that firstly you don't need to put ice in a cooler but if you are then you put some water in so the bottle can sit down in the cooler.

The breakfast was a bit manic and not a lot of room around the big table with the cereals and meats on. A great selection but for a bit four star hotel I was surprised that the hot food was in those containers with the lids. I would have expected someone to serve it out to you. We had the poached egg on blah bread the second morning with bacon and it was delicious.

We went down to look at the pool and spa and it was average too, the changing rooms were not clean and tidy. Not checked regularly I would imagine.

The day we checked out there was a big queue at reception with just one woman at the desk. People were getting impatient. I saw one man pay his bill and the woman at reception was shouting over at American visitors telling them the way to somewhere and never said thanks to the man just handed him his receipt while continuing to talk to the Americans.

I think we were lucky having read reviews on this site that there was no weddings the weekend we were there.

Average hotel, clean, nice food but needs a lot of changes to it before we would return.

Dear Guest,

Thank for you sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, I appreciate all the comments you have made and I have addressed these issues with each department, particularly your unwelcoming arrival and your experience in the bar. I do hope you return to Faithlegg in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Faithlegg House is a lovely building with beautiful grounds. Excellent breakfasts, a good pub for drinks and casual dining and a more formal restaurant. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Jack Meade's Pub, right down the road, is fun to go to -- great atmospheric old building. Fairly close to Waterford city.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

First, I’ll begin by saying that we were booked at Faithlegg by our travel agent. We mistakenly assumed we were in Waterford, or at least directly outside of it. The website for the hotel lists no address, so it’s a real challenge to locate this property. One has to drive down back roads in the country in order to get there. This was our first hotel after a plane flight from Chicago to Dublin on Tuesday and a very long rainy day of driving. We, of course, arrived tired, hunger and not looking our best. The greeting we received from the reception clerk was less than enthusiastic, and not at all typical of the warmth and friendliness of the Irish people. We checked in and asked about dinner in the restaurant since there were no other restaurant options available in this remote location. The reception clerk said, “You can eat in the bar.” I asked if the hotel did not have a main dining room restaurant. (I already knew they did.) The receptionist’s response was that the restaurant required reservations. I asked again if they were fully booked for the evening and emphasized we'd rather have a relaxing meal in the dining room, not the bar. Her response was that they probably had nothing. After I pressed once more, she stated that we could have a reservation for “half eight.” We told her that was perfectly fine since we were tired, wished to unpack and clean up.

Now, for the rooms: Unless you are among the very privileged few, you will get a room in the house’s annex, which is nothing more than an average hotel tacked onto the main guest house. The rooms are OK, but certainly nothing special and definitely not “four star” as the hotel claims to be. While the room was reasonably clean, the trash from the prior night’s guest had never been emptied.

Our dinner in the dining room was quite mediocre. Not wanting to appear the ugly American, I kept my mouth shut; But had this been any restaurant in the US, the meal I received, at a cost of $49 EUR for a three-course fixed price meal, should have been sent back to the kitchen as being totally unacceptable. I had the squab appetizer which tasted vile. It was tough as shoe leather and had a downright spoiled flavor. My entree was worse. It was the rack of lamb consisting of three lamb ribs that amounted to almost 95% fat and 5% edible meat.

Hotel breakfasts are Irish style and hearty. This was the one saving grace of an otherwise disappointing stay. I would not return.

Room Tip: You can try requesting the actual house itself, rather than the annex, but I'm not certain how y...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here in September with an other couple and had a great time
I played golf on the wonderful golf course and she had the excellent spa treatments.
The rooms, staff and everything except the breakfast was great

The breakfast was awful, bland bacon, sausage and every thing on the plate, even the bread was bland and tasteless
If i was a foreign tourist sampling and looking forward to a famed Irish breakfast for the first time I would be so disappointed
Come on Faithlegg why let your excellent hotel down with cheap horrible breakfast ingredients
P.S. the scones in the bar area are delicious

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tptcel
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your review with us and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise you felt our breakfast let the hotel down, I will address this with our Head Chef and i can assure you this is not a common occurrence.

I hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I usually stay in the City when in Waterford but decided to venture a few miles outside this trip.
About 10 minutes drive from the city it's definitely worth the few extra miles.
The hotel is a Grand old country mansion with most of the original features still intact. When I arrived on a crisp Autumn evening there was a lovely big log fire in the foyer . Staff very friendly no fuss checking in.
Room was modern clean and good size . All mod cons, decent free wifi and flat screen tv , I hooked up my laptop to tv for Netflix no prob.
Went for swim in nice little leisure centre . Had a very nice meal in the bar. Staff very friendly really enjoyed my stay .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joetraynor1

Dear Guest,

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay having opted for something different on your trip to Waterford and thank you for sharing your kind feedback with us.

I look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

After a crazy drive from the Dublin airport we arrived at the magnificent Faithlegg Castle and Golf Club. There are 2 dining options in the evening. Get dressed up and enjoy the dining room, or stay comfortably casual and eat in the grill and bar. Food was great, many options and prices were reasonable. Breakfast in the morning had many choices for all tastes, and yes there is black pudding ( blood pudding ). Sorry didn't try it. The grounds are straight out of a movie, rolling green pastures as far as the eye can see. Check out the spa at the hotel, and the beautiful indoor swimming pool. The mist and fog in the early morning just added to the atmosphere.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such kind feedback with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found time to use all our facilities. I hope you return to Faithlegg House Hotel soon and maybe even try the black pudding!

Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Faithlegg
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 12 in Waterford
Dooley's Hotel Waterford
Dooley's Hotel Waterford
#4 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!