“Terrific Value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Faithlegg
dublin ireland
“Terrific Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Spent the last 3 days in Faithlegg Hotel and despite not playing golf,had a wonderful time. The food was the best I've had in ages and the staff couldnt have being nicer. The room was excellent and the swimming pool never too busy. Itt was fantastic value and will defnitely return..Michael Smyth.

Room Tip: My wife is particularly fussy when it comes to rooms,but the room we were given passed her high dema...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for noting our staff and food. I hope to see you here again soon.

Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Went her for Sunday lunch recently in the bar area. The food was great and tge service was excellent. The hotel is local to us but it's been a while since we last visited...at these standards... we'll be back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

It's always good to hear when locals enjoy their visit to Faithlegg. I am delighted you enjoyed your lunch and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We booked a 3-night stay here over the recent October bank holiday weekend. It’s probable that the hotel was fully booked for the entire duration of our stay. However, the staff were very helpful and friendly, even though they must have been extremely busy catering for at least two weddings that weekend.
The bar food was good and the buffet breakfast offered a wide enough range to keep everyone happy. The big open log fires made a welcoming sight on a cold October evening. The rooms, grounds and facilities were clean and very well maintained - as you’d expect for a hotel of this standard.
That said, there were a few things that I felt could have been a bit better, again what I'd expect for a hotel of this standard. eg. There was a very limited range of TV channels in the bedroom, and the absence of a room safe was somewhat surprising.

You'll need a car, or a taxi, to travel to /from Waterford City.

Nonetheless, a fine country otel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Allow approx €15-20 (and about 15/20 mins) each way for a taxi to/from Waterford City.
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us, I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you return soon.

wicklow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We booked our weekend on the 18th October, with Rewarding Times and I'm glad as I would not have liked to have had paid full price. We take a lot of weekends away in various hotels and I was very disappointed in this one. While I knew when booking it was 10 minutes from Waterford, but it literally is in the middle of nowhere. It's pretty average and we both hated the bar/lounge. If you were sitting anywhere near where they walk in from the foyer to the bar your seat shook as as they walked by, very annoying. It was like a huge sitting room packed with chairs and couches and the bar was in another room with just a few tables. We had a champagne afternoon tea included which we had on arrival which was very nice and the staff were very helpful. Reception staff need to take note as they are not welcoming. The rooms were average, clean and spacious and bathroom was good and a great shower and I liked the biscuites with the tea, nice touch.

On the Friday night they had a nice singer playing a guitar and it gave a it some atmosphere but on the Saturday night a man walked in and sat at the piano and played it for over an hour. Might as well have not been there, very mediocre. The bar just did nothing for us, it lets the place down badly. Having visited the toilet near the lounge it was very untidy with tissues on the floor etc., obviously not checked on a regular basis.

We had our dinner on the Saturday night in the dining room. Couldn't fault the food but I object to so many supplements added to dishes. I ordered rack of lamb which had a supplement of €5 and it was two lamb chops, somewhat miserable. Why can't waiting staff be thought the way to serve wine? They stand there saying "do you want to taste the wine"? What you say is "who would like to taste the wine". Wine must be tasted to make sure that it hasn't gone off. Then the bottle of white was left on the table and we had to ask for a cooler. The cooler came full of ice with the bottle sitting on top. We had to tell her that firstly you don't need to put ice in a cooler but if you are then you put some water in so the bottle can sit down in the cooler.

The breakfast was a bit manic and not a lot of room around the big table with the cereals and meats on. A great selection but for a bit four star hotel I was surprised that the hot food was in those containers with the lids. I would have expected someone to serve it out to you. We had the poached egg on blah bread the second morning with bacon and it was delicious.

We went down to look at the pool and spa and it was average too, the changing rooms were not clean and tidy. Not checked regularly I would imagine.

The day we checked out there was a big queue at reception with just one woman at the desk. People were getting impatient. I saw one man pay his bill and the woman at reception was shouting over at American visitors telling them the way to somewhere and never said thanks to the man just handed him his receipt while continuing to talk to the Americans.

I think we were lucky having read reviews on this site that there was no weddings the weekend we were there.

Average hotel, clean, nice food but needs a lot of changes to it before we would return.

Dear Guest,

Thank for you sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, I appreciate all the comments you have made and I have addressed these issues with each department, particularly your unwelcoming arrival and your experience in the bar. I do hope you return to Faithlegg in the near future.

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Faithlegg House is a lovely building with beautiful grounds. Excellent breakfasts, a good pub for drinks and casual dining and a more formal restaurant. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Jack Meade's Pub, right down the road, is fun to go to -- great atmospheric old building. Fairly close to Waterford city.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

First, I’ll begin by saying that we were booked at Faithlegg by our travel agent. We mistakenly assumed we were in Waterford, or at least directly outside of it. The website for the hotel lists no address, so it’s a real challenge to locate this property. One has to drive down back roads in the country in order to get there. This was our first hotel after a plane flight from Chicago to Dublin on Tuesday and a very long rainy day of driving. We, of course, arrived tired, hunger and not looking our best. The greeting we received from the reception clerk was less than enthusiastic, and not at all typical of the warmth and friendliness of the Irish people. We checked in and asked about dinner in the restaurant since there were no other restaurant options available in this remote location. The reception clerk said, “You can eat in the bar.” I asked if the hotel did not have a main dining room restaurant. (I already knew they did.) The receptionist’s response was that the restaurant required reservations. I asked again if they were fully booked for the evening and emphasized we'd rather have a relaxing meal in the dining room, not the bar. Her response was that they probably had nothing. After I pressed once more, she stated that we could have a reservation for “half eight.” We told her that was perfectly fine since we were tired, wished to unpack and clean up.

Now, for the rooms: Unless you are among the very privileged few, you will get a room in the house’s annex, which is nothing more than an average hotel tacked onto the main guest house. The rooms are OK, but certainly nothing special and definitely not “four star” as the hotel claims to be. While the room was reasonably clean, the trash from the prior night’s guest had never been emptied.

Our dinner in the dining room was quite mediocre. Not wanting to appear the ugly American, I kept my mouth shut; But had this been any restaurant in the US, the meal I received, at a cost of $49 EUR for a three-course fixed price meal, should have been sent back to the kitchen as being totally unacceptable. I had the squab appetizer which tasted vile. It was tough as shoe leather and had a downright spoiled flavor. My entree was worse. It was the rack of lamb consisting of three lamb ribs that amounted to almost 95% fat and 5% edible meat.

Hotel breakfasts are Irish style and hearty. This was the one saving grace of an otherwise disappointing stay. I would not return.

Room Tip: You can try requesting the actual house itself, rather than the annex, but I'm not certain how y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob C
Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here in September with an other couple and had a great time
I played golf on the wonderful golf course and she had the excellent spa treatments.
The rooms, staff and everything except the breakfast was great

The breakfast was awful, bland bacon, sausage and every thing on the plate, even the bread was bland and tasteless
If i was a foreign tourist sampling and looking forward to a famed Irish breakfast for the first time I would be so disappointed
Come on Faithlegg why let your excellent hotel down with cheap horrible breakfast ingredients
P.S. the scones in the bar area are delicious

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tptcel
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your review with us and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise you felt our breakfast let the hotel down, I will address this with our Head Chef and i can assure you this is not a common occurrence.

I hope to see you return soon.

Best regards,
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faithlegg
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,121 reviews
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arthurstown

Been to Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!